Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Tweet Email Print '11,000 scientists' warning of 'climate emergency' are just '11,000 random peop

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flgator2, Nov 12, 2019.

1. beanfield

beanfield GC Legend

Aug 1, 2009
    Climate Change...Code for,(Scientist) Send more money to study...I cant function in the real world. SMH ...

2. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Give credit where credit is due! A real accomplishment.

3. mutz87

mutz87 C'est Moi VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I can understand this. With big claims comes more of a need for stronger evidence. And some of the messengers can be quite flawed--if because of media exposure, and because the scientific community hasn't done a stellar job of communicating the science and what this means. At the same time, the forces that seek to counter the science are hostile to what scientists have found, and this has come from a variety of quarters, whether those with vested economic interests or from more partisan ideological quarters.

However, no one need pay attention to Gore or 15 year old Swedish girls to get a sense of what the science has found because one can go to the science. And the science is pretty damn ominous. Of course, it is a challenge to say what the problems will be in any exact way, but I'd sure as heck not want to find out given what has already occurred.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  4. beanfield

beanfield GC Legend

Aug 1, 2009
    IM assuming your a scientist or your income dep
    I'm assuming your a scientist or your livelihood depends on one???

5. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    As a lay person, we pretty much are limited to the popular press. The idiocy that gets published and highlighted by so called science journalists is another part of the problem.

On a topic I know more about, the guardian newspaper must print 4 articles a year on how some asteroid is going to wipe out life on earth. When you do a little research in is hyperbolic nonsense. I think they published just this week that an asteroid is going to smack us just before xmas. It is a well known and plotted asteroid that is going to get in our vicinity.

6. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Yes, I am a researcher (and professor) but no, my livelihood does not depend on grants. However, doing research that I want to do often depends on getting it funded since I would not be able to afford the costs myself. People don't realize just how expensive research/data collection can be, even for "small" studies...from tens of thousands of dollars to millions.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    I can understand it is easy to feel like one is limited to the popular press. I'd argue, however, that in the era of the internets, the challenge isn't one of limitation but more of figuring out how to separate hype from sober facts and how to know what sources are authoritative or not, and how to balance uncertainty with knowledge. That to me takes training (even self training of one's mind). In the wild west of the internets, this can be hard for people since we as humans already bring our biases and ideological predispositions to the computer, which might have us filtering information we don't want to consider and favor that which we do--but this can be very bad in terms of being *properly* informed.

8. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    The "internets" are a blessing and a curse. Everything is for the click most of all information is available but equally highlighted is nonsense. I try to read the New York times and Bloomberg(the WSJ has gone to shit). It almost takes as much effort to judge your source as it does to read the articles.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Stay the course!!!

Signed,
    Samuel Shenton
    (Your scientific comrade in arms)

10. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Well said.