Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

TV alert: "The Last Dance" on ESPN - starts tonight Sunday, April 19 at 9pm ET

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Bazza, Apr 19, 2020.

1. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    20+ years later, I totally understand why Jordan punched Kerr in the face. God bless MJ!

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florala, Alabama
    Very good series.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Rodman.......love what he says about Pippen!

• Like Like x 1
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Ahhh excuse me? Perhaps the last phrase betrays your bias, because I can't imagine any single sports fan in the world who does not acknowledge the greatness of MJ. If you blew this off, you missed basically the best sports offering during this shitty shutdown. It's one hell ova show.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I'm catching up on this series at the moment . . . unbelievable good. Great to relive the college & NBA during those days. This series not only displays the incredible phenomenon that was MJ; it tells the story of basketball that formed the modern era.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. gator_lyn

gator_lyn Senior

Oct 28, 2017
    Jerry Krause took a lot of heat. Even though he did eventually break the team up, the doc shows that he was responsible for putting together the pieces of that dynasty. Most significant was letting go of Doug Collins and hiring Phil Jackson, which got the Bulls over the hump

7. diamondted13

Jan 1, 2008
    He was a good GM but his insecurities and thin skin got the best of him in the end. He wanted more credit and adulation for putting the roster together and hiring Phil. Maybe if he was more likable, but even Reinsdorf said he was a dick (paraphrasing) when he originally hired him. Not to mention he looked like Jabba the Hut. Guys like that are hard to embrace.

8. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    It has been mentioned elsewhere but Jerry Reinsdorf seems more than content to let Jerry Krause be the villain in all of this when Reinsdorf himself could have intervened. Reinsdorf could have renegotiated pippens contract and Reinsdorf could have kept the team together when it is all said and done.

9. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Would've been great to see the Bulls bring the squad back for one last season in 99 to see if they could 4-peat. It would've been extremely difficult since they were all older and had tired legs from all those deep championship runs. But '99 was a lockout season so the shorter season would've helped them, plus not to mention they had built chemistry. The Knicks came out of the East that year and I'm sure the Bulls would've knocked them off, question would be how they would've done against the Twin Towers of Duncan/Robinson on the Spurs.

10. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    Spurs would have been tough but since I saw the bulls beat all comers of all makeups there isn't much to make me believe they wouldn't win. The bulls kept potential titles away from Drexler (later won with Houston), Barkley, Kemp/Payton and Malone/Stockton not to mention Patrick Ewing era knicks as well as Reggie Miller/smits era pacers.

They beat defensive slow down teams like the Knicks and pistons and beat high scoring fast paced teams like Portland and Phoenix. Of course I am biased and readily admit it

• Like Like x 1
  11. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    It's hard to bet against Jordan since he was a perfect 6 for 6 in Finals. Guy always found a way to get it done, even in 98 when the Bulls were underdogs vs Utah, front office drama/distractions were swirling around, Pippen was hobbling around on a bad back and Rodman on the verge of imploding. Jordan used to always say he considered himself fortunate to have never played against Hakeem in the Finals, because Hakeem used to torch the Bulls whenever he played them. Not to mention UF's own Vernon Maxwell used to give Jordan fits on defense. Now he might just be trying to be diplomatic and no appear cocky but I'm sure deep down inside he's confident he would've beaten the Rockets. Plus Jordan used to regularly own Ewing and he was an elite center.

• Like Like x 1
  12. diamondted13

Jan 1, 2008
    Pretty genius way of delegating if you ask me. Even thought last dance hasn't gone there (not yet anyway), all my recollections from the late 90's involved Krause and Reinsdorf both being villainized. Their names seemed inseparable for a while in the media blame game. I'm curious why the passage of time has changed perceptions. Perhaps MJ and Reinsdorf kissed and made up to some extent. I hope we find out as the series winds down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    Yes but the Jordan less bulls did beat Houston once out of the two meetings in 1994 when Houston won their first title. Good points though

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  14. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    Reinsdorf earned a lot of goodwill back in the sports media world when his Chicago White Sox won the World Series in '05

15. diamondted13

Jan 1, 2008
    This is true. He has owned 2 teams in the city for decades. So like all owners, I'm sure it's a mixed bag of good/bad.

16. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

I say the Bulls were 6 for 6 in the Finals.

It makes me wonder that if one or more of the earlier Jordan-Bulls teams had made it to the Finals (rather than getting bounced out earlier in the playoffs) and they had lost, would many see it as actually diminishing Jordan's legacy? :confused:

17. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    This is pretty good stuff. Jordan's trainer......

18. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    You put all the greats in a room to the death and Michael walks out alive. Most psycho competitor I’ve ever seen. Think it was Barkley that said one time that mj would kill his own kids to win a game. Anyone that’s keeping score , that’s the difference...

19. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    In sports superstar players either get the credit or take the blame for their team's success and failures. Rightly or wrongly.

20. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

Wrongly, I've always argued.

But, you're right that most people think that way, and more and more people think that way all the time.