Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Tuberville, race, crime and reparations

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Oct 10, 2022.

1. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    [​IMG]

2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Murph - a Q for you, if you don't mind. As a black person from Haiti, do you identify as African American? Haitian American? Both or neither? I'm genuinely curious and have friends/colleagues from Haiti & USVI. Just want to be better informed. Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  3. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    No prob. I was born in New York City. Parents are Haitian. I identify as Haitian American.

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    Put down the crack pipe.

Conservatives were not marching in the streets across many cities, blocking traffic, looting stores, setting fires to police stations, chanting f the police, and physically assaulting small business owners…just to name a few of the events that plagued the country’s urban areas with little to no action by elected Democratic officials, other than to publicly support them. That is, until they tried to join them and were assaulted themselves.

You can try and sell revisionist history elsewhere. Not flyin around here.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    You already know.

6. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    You’re more ridiculous by the day. You’ve almost created a parody like “The Onion” version of yourself at this point.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Thank you. :)

8. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Right. Nothing came from the right side of the aisle.

Accused Killer Of California Cops Was Associated With Right-Wing 'Boogaloo Movement'

3 self-proclaimed members of the far-right 'boogaloo' movement were arrested on domestic terrorism charges for trying to spark violence during protests

‘Boogaloo Boi’ charged in fire of Minneapolis police precinct during George Floyd protest

9. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm thinking it's somewhere between all and nothing. Claiming that Democrats praised the riots, provided bail for those arrested, etc. ... because the poster read where one or two did, and that means the entire side of the aisle is like ... that's lame when the claim is made about either side.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    And you voted for biden I presume? LOL!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    or a group of coworkers who may end up being dependent on that 3 - 5% at some point. good cops covering for bad cops is how bad cops stay in business

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    You can tell when a person is regurgitating talking points without knowing anything about a subject. Bail reform in Harris County actually resulted in less crime.
    Texas Bail Reform Reduced Jail Time and Crime, New Study Says

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks man. I love the Onion. Americas Finest News Source. High compliment.

I wish I thought that people that post sentiments like yours didn’t really mean it. I'd feel safer and more hopeful about the future.

14. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    FWIW, I don’t know of any black person descended from Caribbean islanders who calls themselves African American or Black American. It’s not that we don’t acknowledge our African roots… the African part is already implied. If we just say African American or Black American, it likely cuts out/dismisses several hundred years of our ancestry and culture. Also, African American (with respect to black people) and Black American and specifically means someone descended from Africans who were either brought here during the slave trade or came in their own with no stop in between.

• Like Like x 2
  15. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I like this distinction. A person from Haiti had a completely different experience than an African American. Not saying better or worse, just different. I had a buddy in college whose parents came from Brazil. He looked African. No accent. He was quick to point out the differences between being raised in Rio de Janeiro (like his parents) and in Jacksonville (him).

• Like Like x 1
  16. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    She's not a Senator, but since we're on the subject if Herschel Walker manages to win his election in Georgia he would undoubetly be the least competent member of the Senate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Yeah man. Black people from the islands like Haiti and Jamaica have more in common culturally with Latinos like Puerto Ricans, Cubans, and Dominicans than they do with African Americans. That doesn’t mean we are closer to them from relatability perspective if that makes sense. So, while I eat similar foods and have similar cultural background to a Latino or even a white Cuban, I still would never consider myself to be part of “that group”. I much more closely relate to African Americans than them. It’s also different because I was born here, so my personal experiences are similar to that of an African American.

• Like Like x 3
  18. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Proudly

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I figured you voted for the major politician who has some of the most racist remarks out there.

Par for the course. Matches your MO/character and the lies you have said about me.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    No, I really don't. Can you find me some prominent Democrats who supported the looters/looting? If it was that widespread within the Dem party, should be really easy for you.