Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump's Troubles

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8trGr8t, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Said it before and although it's completely counter-intuitive if Trump is indicted support for him within the Republican Party will be even stronger. Also counter-intuitive I wouldn't be surprised to hear DeSantis condemn the indictment of Trump as a politically motivated witch hunt much the same way that he attacked the Bragg indictment although the case against Trump for mishandling the documents is obviously stronger than the case against for falsifying business records related to the payoff to Stormy Daniels. I guess DeSantis could always make the argument that he as an unindicted version of Trump would be a stronger general election candidate than the indicted original.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Not being a lawyer myself, I have to wonder why any lawyer would want to work for Donald Trump. I know it would theoretically pay well, but how could you even be sure you're going to get paid and not get stiffed like so many Trump contractors? Maybe big advances cover it, that's all I can figure. But even then you've got a client who is a pathological liar and a deep hole digger. Maybe the challenge is rewarding, I don't know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Knowing Trump they need to check Truth Social Classifieds.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Good question. As far as getting paid is concerned my guess is that they're demanding to be paid in advance possibly in the form of very large retainers. I also have to think that the message in the meme below would be a factor in deciding whether or not to represent Trump.
    [​IMG]

And if the reports in the media are accurate, at least one court has allowed the piercing of the attorney-client privilege a decision that they very rarely make.
    Judge Rules Trump Lawyer Must Testify in Documents Inquiry

I guess that despite the obvious downsides of representing the Orange One there is still an attraction in representing a former president who also happens to be the highest profile media celebrity bar none.

6. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    I think this is most R candidates' general strategy. Don't piss off the 30% - you can't win without them, attempt to appeal to those just outside the 30%, and hope trump can't run.

The only other option is to run headlong into Trump, and no one in the Republican party has shown to be capable of that kind of show down. It's tough when one guy owns that 30%.

7. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 2
  8. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Obviously just my opinion but the only possible way that Trump would be prohibited from running would be if he were convicted of seditious conspiracy for his role in the attempted insurrection of January 6, 2021 based on the language of Section 3 of the 14 Amendment which provides that:
    Section 3.
    No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any state, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any state legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any state, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.
    And even that may not be a slam dunk considering that the final decision would have to be made by the Supreme Court and again just a matter of opinion but frankly I don't trust the conservative majority of the current SCOTUS. Under the Constitution an indictment or even a conviction of other crimes for which Trump has been or may be charged would not be sufficient to disqualify him from running or even taking office should be elected.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sohogator

Aug 22, 2012
    I follow Mueller She Wrote Twitter feed. She gets some scoops and and has her ear to the ground. This tweet is speculation about what went down with the docs Tump stole and Corcorans involvement
    i like this section of the article. Implies a long prison term.

Prosecutors cited the Espionage Act, which conjures up an image of someone acting as a spy for a foreign country. But the statute, enacted after World War I, is broader. It criminalizes anyone with "unauthorized possession" of "national defense" material who "willfully" retains it. A string of court decisions has concluded that even if a document isn’t technically "classified," someone can be charged under the law, so long as the information is "closely held" and the information would be useful to U.S. adversaries.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Haven’t followed this thread religiously, but today listening to a Bulwark podcast where they focus on various legal issues, and this whole Trump admission on tape is potentially a pretty big deal.

1. On the tape he clearly admits it is still classified, and he isn’t supposed to have it and restricted from sharing it, which goes against his idiotic defense of being able to declassify documents at will any time.

2. It was regarding a document from Milley discussing a potential attack on Iran, so it isn’t just some trivial classified document.

3. Most importantly his discussion of the document pretty squarely falls into a violation of the espionage act, so now not only do you have obstruction but what appears to be a clear violation of the espionage act.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Sohogator

Aug 22, 2012
    One of the ex DOJ ‘s legal beagles also said it’s a Goldilocks document in that it’s not so significant that it can’t be discussed generally in front of a jury.

12. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    It is secret, not top secret, because it doesn’t directly discuss sources and methods.

13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Legal experts predict new Trump indictment after report of jury meeting

On Saturday, NBC News reported that the grand jury investigating Trump's alleged mishandling of classified documents is scheduled to reconvene in Washington, D.C., sometime in the next week. The case, being overseen by special counsel Jack Smith, has recently appeared to pick up steam, with various experts claiming that indictments could be coming in the days or weeks following Memorial Day.
    In response to the news of the grand jury meeting again in Washington, numerous legal experts suggested that the jury was doing so in order to vote on issuing an indictment. During a Sunday appearance on MSNBC's Inside with Jen Psaki, former federal prosecutor and outspoken Trump legal analyst Glenn Kirschner suggested that observers of the documents case should now be on "indictment watch."

14. Sohogator

Aug 22, 2012
    Trumps clown show lawyer spent 2 hours at DOJ today. Garland did not attend.

I suspect they were told what’s what. Charges coming soon

• Like Like x 1
  15. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The meeting probably went something like “”Trump will fire us if we don’t pretend to be attacking you, so can we just hang out for an hour and pretended we were really mean to you?”

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
  17. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
  18. Sohogator

Aug 22, 2012
    Like all his other nefarious plots it failed. DOJ has the had pool attendant phone they know who he spoke to or texted and when . They probably have that guys phone as well

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
  19. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007