Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump's Troubles

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8trGr8t, Feb 13, 2021.

1. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    What does that matter? Both judges I cited lost control of their cases IN THE COURTROOM. Ito never recovered. It remains to be seen how Merchan recovers.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    He hasn’t lost control over his courtroom.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    He is neither. If anything he demonstrated his "incompetence" by leaning over backwards to protect the defeated indicted former president. If Trump were any other criminal defendant he would have been jailed by now for contempt based on his multiple flagrant violations of Merchan's gag order.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    See VA’s post above and transcripts of Stormy’s testimonial circus yesterday.

5. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    He never would have made the jury in the first place. He would have been rejected after the first question.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    No but your orange hero has.

7. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    He took control of his courtroom, he didn’t lose it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  8. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Nikki officially dropped out of the race a long time ago. She does not campaign and yet gets nearly 22% of the vote in deep red Indiana. Tired of trump

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He never lost control of the courtroom, they don't understand how a trial works. The judge stated that some testimony came in that shouldn't have, but that's on Trump's defense team for failing to make contemporaneous objections. It is not Merchan's responsibility to limit testimony where Trump's lawyers failed to make a timely objection. Until the judge brought their omissions to their attention when denying their motion for a mistrial, they were asleep at the wheel for a good part of it. AFTER they were told they were screwing up, then they started to object and a significant number of their objections were sustained.

The ONLY times I've ever seen judges exclude testimony or evidence without a timely defense objection is when what was about to come in was so fundamentally prejudicial there was concern the case may come back on ineffective assistance of counsel grounds.

Calling Judge Merchan incompetent is a laughably inept assessment.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Lawyers make me laugh at times. When I had my business in the 80s I ran into my lawyer at a Braves game in Atlanta. He asked me "Hows business" I answered "No current issues" he said Now that we have discussed business we can both write this off as a business expense. I don't know about him but I didn't take his advice. Every time I see shady business that involves a lawyer I think back to that so called business meeting.

11. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    That’s exactly what I was saying. And for someone who likely has never been a part of a trial, much less an advocate, it’s not very credible to read that the judge “lost control of the courtroom.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    obviously you haven't seen anything Cannon has done. Merchan is a world class scholar compared to that nimwit

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    While I happen to think it's the weakest case against Trump so far the State has presented very credible evidence that Trump falsified business records, that his primary motivation for paying Michael Cohen was to suppress adverse publicity that could have affected the election and that the expenditures to Cohen weren't reported as campaign expenditures.

As as the documents case is concerned, there is credible evidence that Trump possessed classified documents to which he was not entitled, that he lied to a court regarding the disposition of said documents and if/or when the case does go trial the government will have very strong evidence against the defeated former presidency including photos, documentation and the testimony of witnesses (former employees) that helped Trump conceal the documents.

Last edited: May 8, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hopefully Cannon's indefinite suspensions will open up the calendar so Smith can move forward in DC if/when the supremes make a ruling

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  16. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    maybe they were aiming for a mistrial all along..it is SOP, delay, deny, delay, deny..anything to get a delay and wait out the other side

17. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Sigmund’s head would explode

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Birds of a feather/game recognize game, whatever

19. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I think the documents case is the strongest. And remember, for the Trumpeteers who love to scream witch hunt, that case is predominantly based on Trump’s illegal (and literally outrageous) conduct after being caught with the documents - he lied about not having them, he swore under oath he didn’t have them, he appointed a lawyer to do an audit to prove he didn’t have them but covertly moved the documents to another state before the lawyer arrived in site to do his job, mishandled the stolen the documents in multiple locations, and deliberately and contumaciously disobeyed subpoenas for the documents, and more. Of all the cases, that one epitomizes Trump’s complete and total disregard, of not outright disrespect, for the laws that he swore to uphold.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Additionally, as many hyper-opinionated witnesses do, Stormy took it upon herself to go on harangues and narratives that exceeded the scope of the question. It’s incumbent in the lawyers to ask the judge to stop her and order an answer to the question with no more narrative.
    Regardless, for all those “we got an airtight appeal” folks, the Judge gave a curing instruction to the jury to disregard parts of her testimony. Those instructions cure the “prejudice”, if any, that Trump might have suffered (and make appeals on the issue very, very difficult to overcome).

• Winner Winner x 1