Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump's "National Emergency" speech was a fundraising scam???

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by BLING, Jan 9, 2019.

1. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Color me shocked. I especially like the part about how it's collecting money for the *OFFICIAL* "Secure the Border Fund". Gotta raise $500,000 in one day. Come on Patriots, send money to that "Secure the Border Fund". Wait, that doesn't exist? The money is going to Trumps campaign? Oh.

[​IMG]

Trump Campaign Fundraises Off Of Primetime Gov't Shutdown Speech

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    On the bright side, once he's out of the oval office, and with his mailing list of most gullible Patriots he's gonna have a helluva alot of sales leads for his next Trump University-like scam.

• Like Like x 2
  3. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    Do you think the Democrats made any fundraising efforts from the speech yesterday?

4. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Are you OK with misrepresented campaign fund raising efforts as a "Secure the border fund"? They are asking for campaign contributions and giving the impression the funds are going to border security, don't you think?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Weak equivocation here.

The democrats aren't the ones threatening to declare a "national emergency", to possibly usurp the powers of congress in a shocking almost "Enabling Act"-esque manner. While I'm sure they've done fundraising drives off of crisis/political impasse in the past, and may even be raising money off Trump's idiocy... i.e. "Need to Impeach" - I doubt you could find me something even remotely equivalent to this letter from a prior Democratic President...or really any President abusing an Oval Office speech like this.

I wonder if it's even legal to basically lie about where the money is going in such solicitations? There is no "Secure the Border Fund". This letter IMO is tantamount to yet another Trump fraud.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Very Stable Genius Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    TBF, the entire Trump presidency, and indeed the conservative 'movement' at large is just a fundraising grift. This kind of stuff is the feature, not a bug.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    You guys are miserable.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. philobeddoe

philobeddoe Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    I don't get the controversy over "trump's Wall" and its funding. Let the people that voted for Trump in 2016 donate $6.62 per month for a year and Trump will have his $5 billion.

Now …. if Trump raised those funds from private sources, would the democrats go along with the construction of that which Trump wants?

• Like Like x 1
  9. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Not sure how you dont "get the controversy." We were told Mexico was paying for the wall. Now the government is shut down until taxpayers pay for the wall. Leaving aside the merits of a wall in and of itself, there is your controversy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Although I don't think that the speech was explicitly intended as a fundraising scam it's pretty much the norm for Trump and company to use any opportunity to extract cash from his gullible followers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I think what's miserable is Trump's decision to exploit what was supposed to be a serious address to the nation as a fund raising opportunity.

12. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    He is doing the best he can with a very hostile crowd, who by the way, controls the message through 99.9% of media.

• Creative Creative x 1
  13. philobeddoe

philobeddoe Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    I don't get the controversy ….. because the funding of the wall is simple, let those who voted for Trump pay for it. It's much the same approach applied to those who want the US government to admit the Central American caravaners or give the caravaners $50K each. Why not let supporters of Hillary Clinton privately fund the financial needs of those people seeking asylum in the US.

If dems don't want the federal government to pay for the wall …. and Trump's supporters want the wall …. let Trump's supporters pay for it.

My question is ….. will dems go along with private citizens paying for the wall outside of the US Treasury? For Dems …. is it a matter of the US government paying for the wall …. or the existence of the wall regardless of how it's funded?

14. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    And yet I keep seeing threads about Fox News being the #1 cable news network ... Rush Limbaugh is (or was?) always #1 on talk radio... cons have their brietbart, blaze, and national review ... I think your 99.9% of the media is a bit exaggerated.

• Like Like x 2
  15. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Really? Did the media broadcast Trump's address on a delay and edit it as he was delivering it? It was the Donald in his own words and although stylistically it actually seemed presidential it was essentially the same speech that Trump had been giving since 2015.

16. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    I hope your realized that the "the controversy" is because this dream world of Trump supporters ponying up the cash for the wall is neither practical nor what Trump is asking for. He wants the wall paid for by US tax payers. Other than that, I think the idea of letting US citizens pool their money together and tell the government how it should be spent is a bad idea, and sets a bad precedent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    Wrong. Add up all the major networks, CNN, MSNBC and the myriad of small time libby hate media outlets and you'll see that liberals own the TV show airwaves.

18. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    And then how was it covered and analyzed afterwards? Wow. Too easy.

19. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't see it that way at all. There are fringe FoxNews' and the MSNBC's of the popular media ... then there are the vast majority of news outlets that are pretty centric. The extreme right and left wing is out there, too, but has a such a small following it's not that significant.

If you think 99.9% of the media is too liberal, then you must be so far right that everything this side of Russian propaganda looks left to you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. PerSeGator

PerSeGator All American

Jun 14, 2014
    Feel free to pledge your donation to the wall gofundme.

Or better yet, send a check directly to Trump. I'm sure he will start buying up the land on the border and constructing the wall any minute now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1