Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump's large union crowd at Shell was given the option of not showing up — and not getting paid

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by VAg8r1, Aug 16, 2019.

1. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Appreciate your thoughts. They will have an impact. But I may just need to step away.

I avoid the recruiting forum for the most part for the exact reason you stated. We may even be able to have a good too hot thread on how ridiculous the situation is with regards to universities. I get why we spend the money but...

Q

2. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I don't know what companies you have worked for, but the ones I have have mandated attendance for various events not directly related to my job. Trump decided to come to this company for a speech and the company decided to roll out the red carpet since Trump's energy position aligns with their own. They did not mandate attendance but instead said employees could choose not to work that day. In accordance with their contract they don't get paid when not working. I suspect it would be the same if there was some accident at the plant and it was down for repairs. That's the life of an hourly employee. As far as the speech, Trumo says the same shit every time and thinks it's a rally. That's how he speaks. My guess is that you could find plenty of examples exactly like this when previous presidents visited companies. Its clickbait.

3. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    The tone of this board has changed and I get where you are coming from and have thought the same from time to time. I guess my thought on that was if you are stressing out about it then leave. No reason to come here if you are not entertained. For me I chime in less frequently and really just focus more on the sports boards. Will be sad to see you go though as you have had many interesting comments over the years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    As I said, it was a political rally. That’s why I made the comparison. His words were not about, say, “Outstanding job, Marines. I’m so proud to be your Commander in Chief” or “Marines, I’m disturbed by your lack of readiness, and I’m determined to do something about it.” He made a 100% politically motivated speech with (an artificially diverse group of) Marines behind him as a prop. As I said, both parties do this BS. And I didn’t like it anymore than I’m sure some of the employees in the OP didn’t like their false choice.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  5. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Gatorpika...

You as well as one of the best. Your thoughts mirror mine. I have already backed off. But with the back off it has not helped from a leadership standpoint of the site at this point.

I am at a crossroads. Without a feel that things will change I think it is best to take a break. I tried the mini this year with others. But now it is gotten to the point that my dollars need to make a statement I fear.

About to start a Wiffle Ball game boys verse girls...

7ED32115-2298-404D-AD5D-02759A8E3795.jpeg

Go Gators!

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Beautiful kids, brother. They clearly take after their mother. ;):):D

Seriously, great pic. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    You nailed it GK! :)

I am a blessed man...

15D7273C-E81C-4825-9D5E-68B8164698D4.jpeg

About 5 years old but...

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, but there were tens of thousands waiting outside.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I have been at your crossroads a couple of times here in the last year or so. I am often edited or deleted for being insulting, but some others who loathe conservatives in general can tee off on Republicans at will.

Your thoughts and insight will be missed, but you have a beautiful family and those kids will be grown before you know it. Take time to enjoy the gift that you have been given.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Yup!
    I repeat. Commander in Chief and military members. There is nothing in between.

11. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    For this I agree. As one checks through posts, including mine, there are "edited by moderator" messages far too often. Most times we are left to guess what was removed as the context was obliterated.
    I am fine with removing profanity and direct attacks on other posters but when one gets banned for calling Trump a freaking idiot, which is actually factual and verifiable, then debate is not happening.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Or when one gets edited for calling Nadler -Nadless, Schiff - Schitt, or Swallwell - Swallowall!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    An idiot is defined as someone who is stupid. You don't get a BS from Wharton if you are an idiot. So I would say it is your opinion that he is an idiot and it is not verifiable.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    And I suggest that the ability to pay for an education does not eliminate the ability to be a full fledged idiot. There are alot of college educated people in prison or committing suicide that are also full fledged idiots. Not my opinion. Fact.

/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    1. INFORMAL
      a stupid person.
      synonyms: fool, ass, halfwit, nincompoop, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, cretin, imbecile, dullard, moron, simpleton, clod; More
      • ARCHAIC
        a person of low intelligence
    Matches him to a t! Once again..I bring the facts.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The main problem with this forum is Donald Trump. Call it a microcosm of the country. It is not just this forum. His presidency has become a national disease.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    As a champion of loathing Trump and Republican policies I am very sure I have not been free to "tee off" on those folks. I have plenty of penalty time assessed and collected fyi.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    With respect to Mr. Nadler, there are several Beavis & Butthead jokes warming up in the bull pen, however, decorum prohibits listing them here. Well, that's what Neidermeyer told me. Bluto agrees.

[​IMG]

18. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well I'm glad hear that some of the mods equally delete our post, but I do believe it's still not equal. I've had post or comments deleted only to see basically the same from our libs in the same post not deleted. I really do wish they would put their names to it when it's deleted and what was taken out and see which Mods are actually doing the deleting . @QGator2414 I completely agree with you on this, I originally left for a couple of months and dropped being a paid member, now I've cut back about 50% simply I feel the same as you . I think Growl is very fair and will at least listen if you PM him, I don't always feel that way about some of the other Mods.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The point isn't whether Shell could have compelled its employees to attend the Trump speech. In my previous posts I indicated that the company probably didn't act illegally by doing so. My point was whether it was appropriate for a private sector employee to compel its employees to attend what would almost certainly be a political speech, and although it's just my opinion it was stunt that violated political norms. If Trump had limited his speech to energy policy the mandatory attendance may have been acceptable and no, it cannot be justified based on the expectation that the Trump speech would devolve into another MAGA rally rather than a serious speech by a normal POTUS. And it's not analogous to the situation in which a private sector employer mandates attendance to a company event such as the company picnic, mandatory training or a speech the company's CEO nor it is analogous to a military dog and pony show for the POTUS or another prominent politician.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    When I worked for the Dept of Corrections, the DOC initiated a program for contributing to the United Way through payroll deduction. Contributing was "voluntary," but the warden where I worked told us that he expected "100 percent participation." Everyone at the prison participating would be a nice feather in the warden's cap. And of course the warden would know which employees, if any, denied him that feather.