Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump's large union crowd at Shell was given the option of not showing up — and not getting paid

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by VAg8r1, Aug 16, 2019.

1. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Somehow I knew you would highlight "salary" which is different than "salaried". Nevertheless, this isnt training. This is a Trump political stunt. So you agree that using a paycheck as leverage to fill the audience is acceptable?

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Thank god it's CNN's top story! I hope they got 'em working in shifts!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Yikes. I won’t ask.

5. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    No, attending a political event is not the same as diversity training.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    That depends upon your perspecticve

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Companies have the right to do almost anything they want with their facilities at any given time. In this instance they chose to host a political rally. Unless the facility had a large auditorium that would seat all of their employees at once(very,very, very few do), it would require the closing of work areas. The company gave the employees the option of attending work that day, where their assignment was to go to a political rally, stay home and take a personal day, or stay home and lose almost certain overtime hours. It was the employees choice. I do not see a problem at all. Just like my company requires mandatory attendance at several “awareness” training sessions. At one of these a few years ago, I finally learned in my mid 50’s, that I was a product of white privilege. Who knew that all these years I really didn’t need to be working 50+ hours/week to be succcessful. I sure as hell didn’t.

8. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    I either can’t remember many details myself, but according to my friends, it was bad

9. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I’ve seen it all the time in the military. When President Obama visited Camp Pendleton (Spring 2016, I think), attendance was mandatory. A certain number of Marines had to stand behind him, too, whether they wanted to be there or on TV or not. When the political handlers didn’t like the demographic look of the group who was supposed to be behind the President while he was speaking, they went through the formation and “invited” hand-picked personnel to get up there. Military authorities made it clear that it wasn’t really an invitation. And, yes, it was a political rally just like any other. Speaking for self, my attitude about being there had nothing to with Obama. I was a Squadron XO with a lot on my plate, and I didn’t have time for anyone’s political bloviating. So if anyone had given me the option of not being there and not getting paid for that day, I would have gladly taken it and went back to my mountain of BS paperwork.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    One of my favorite lines from TBL.

11. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Sorry, but yes you're the product of white privilege. I am too. White privilege doesn't always result in economic prosperity (if it did Appalachia would have people rolling on Benjamins rather than toiling on opioids). It it's more systemic than you likely realize, and often invisible to those who have said privilege.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    I would beg to differ with you. If you knew the sacrifices my father made in his teens and 20’s to get into and through college you would probably agree with me

13. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    This shouldn't surprise anyone. Most of Trump's crowds are well orchestrated with sectional cheerleaders. Give him credit, he has this tv stuff down well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    No, I wouldn't. I'm not saying you and your family haven't experienced hardships. I'm saying that in ways you probably don't recognize, you don't experience certain problems and prejudices. Heck, I'm sure you've had it worse than many persons of color ... but looking at it in those terms it's also not what white privilege is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    The real concern is the speech was supposed to be focused on energy policy, but instead turned into a full blown campaign rally where Trump took his usual petty jabs at Biden and Warren. But this was a taxpayer funded speech, which means turning it political is not allowed.

So if it had been a normal energy speech requiring attendance wouldnt have been a big deal. But it became a rally at the taxpayers expense.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Good post. I get a kick out of silver spooners who mowed a few yards or work part time in college and now think they can tell others about hard knocks and that they should pick themselves up by the bootstraps.

(PS. No testimonies on how bad it was - we all have them and most of us all had an advantage).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    There were approximately 5000 people/employees at this event. So Shell had a "normal work area" that would accommodate 5000 people, aside from production lines, etc? I wonder what they had to move out of that "normal work area" to accommodate 5000 people? What do you think about this?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  18. studegator

studegator Senior

Feb 24, 2008
    Sort of reminds me of something that happened here in Fla during Jeb Bushes first run at the governorship. We had a friend that was an assistent warden at an FDOC facility. They were all expected by the "higher ups" to attend a Bush rally in Lake City and to contribute to the campaign.
    He borrowed money from us for his "donation" to the campain. The fdoc was rife with corruption in those days.

• Like Like x 1
  19. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Noce way to CYA, Pit!

20. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    As a manager, I wouldn’t be thrilled about losing a day (probably more with set up, and tear down) of production for any event. But I would imagine that this one came from above the plant manager and he or she followed orders.

Now it is entirely possible that Shell executives consider two lost days of production at ONE facility a wise investment to help a business friendly president re-elected rather than get one of the Crazy 20 running the country.

As has been mentioned above, this is not the first time something like this has been done. Things like this have happened many times. I guess it’s just easier to ignore all that when you hate Trump as much as some of you do. Suspension of logic and reason is a small price to pay to sustain your narrative I suppose.