Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

trump's Cuts to H2-B Guest Worker Visas Hurt Small Business

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by fastsix, May 15, 2018.

1. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Even some the people who voted for him are sick of it, but let's keep pretending that American's are lining up for back breaking jobs that don't pay very much.

'Tricked by the devil.' They backed Trump. Now, his foreign labor cuts may ruin them.

Eddie Devine voted for President Donald Trump because he thought he would be good for American business. Now, he says, the Trump administration’s restrictions on seasonal foreign labor may put him out of business.

Devine says it has been years since he could find enough dependable, drug-free American workers for his $12-an-hour jobs mowing and tending landscapes for cemeteries, shopping centers and apartment complexes across Central Kentucky.

So for years he has hired 20 seasonal workers, mostly from Guatemala, through the U.S. Labor Department’s H2-B “guest worker” program. Importing these workers for a few months cost him an additional $18,000 in fees and expenses beyond their wages, which must be the same as he pays American workers. But that’s the only way he could serve his customers.

He isn’t alone. Cuts in H-2B visas are hurting small businesses across the country that can’t find Americans willing to do hard, manual labor: Maryland crab processors, Texas shrimp fishermen, and Kentucky landscapers and construction companies.

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Very Stable Genius Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    It would be pretty funny if he started hiring undocumented workers and suddenly was for abolishing ICE.

3. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Probably will not affect the H-2B visas Trump has been and will almost certainly continue using to hire his own temporary workers. He has done it every year and will almost certainly do so next October/November.
    Trump, who urged people to 'hire American,' secures 70 foreign workers for Mar-a-Lago

4. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    And the people getting screwed by this know it. The trump voter from the article was quoted, "“I want to know why it’s OK for [trump] to get his workers, but supporters like me don’t get theirs."

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This guy needs to not be so selfish about his business and look at the bigger picture.

He doesn't realize how lucky he is not having those druggies, rapists and murderers working for him any longer. #MAGA

:emoji_upside_down::emoji_upside_down::emoji_upside_down:

Seriously, though. This guy tries to get immigrant workers the right way and can't. We are far too tight on these visas and that has been the real immigration problem for several decades.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Now he just needs to crack down on the under the table payments made by those in these industries.

No doubt it hurts the business doing things right. But that same time that same business is being hurt by the competitor paying the person here illegally under the table.

This is a complicated issue that is fluid right now.

7. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Big problem in Baltimore area. Crab meat prices are way up. Once the DC elite realized this they just approved another 15k visas. Can't have those crab cakes cost that much.

Think about how many unemployed people there are in Baltimore and they can't get people to do this work that pays by the pound where good pickers can make $20 per hour. It is just way too easy to live in this country without working.

Congressman says visa approval amid crab crisis 'imminent'

ALTIMORE (AP) — A Maryland congressman says federal immigrant officials have agreed to approve 15,000 more seasonal guest worker visas.

The Baltimore Sun reports the announcement Thursday from U.S. Rep. Andy Harris came amid reports that Maryland's crab industry is suffering a labor shortage. Nearly half of Maryland crab workers were left without laborers to pick crab meat after their mostly Mexican workforce failed to get H-2B visas. The H-2B visa program is for seasonal workers in non-agricultural jobs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    If you’re hungry enough you will work wherever you can, for whatever pay, in crappy conditions.

9. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    And the jobs the original employer is discussing sound like jobs Americans should be able to handle with no problem although apparently he can't get them.

Farm workers are a different story. Americans can'd do that work.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The only problem with your narrative is that most of the crab processing facilities are located on the Eastern Shore not in the Baltimore area. Same argument could be made and has, that there are enough unemployed workers in Palm Beach County that Trump shouldn't be using H-2B visas for employees at Mar-a-Lago.

11. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I cannot fathom policy stances on reducing the number of people who want to come here and contribute to our economy and tax revenue, especially as we stare down the barrel of the "baby boomer retirement/Social Security resource draw" gun.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    My mom's best friend and her husband started a family lawn business. It is hard finding dependable Americans. They have a couple. And they do it right. They are the person I was talking about in my first post. It is complicated. But they have good workers they can't get. At the same time if we force people to be responsible we could fix the problem.

That said...I am not sure the American for these jobs has the ethic and motivation of the H2B worker. Sadly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    And the crab processors even provide housing. Plenty of labor, not enough people that want to work. Americans that would work at Mar A Lago likely wouldn't provide the same level of service or work as hard. And there ae plenty of physically able people to do the farm work too that refuse to do it. It isn't limited to US though, Costa Rica has to import people to cut palm dates for palm oil and our guide in Barbados told us all about how much farmland there was going fallow while the country food import bill skyrocketed because the younger generation refused to do farm work. I have seen the same thing in St. Croix USVI

14. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    That is a shame. Should be no reason Americans can't fill this type of job. I understand it with migrant farm work, which is just too tough, but lawn care? No excuse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    It really is a shame. It is crazy how much time they spend trying to figure out whether the resume is actually for a job or just to show they are looking. Then they find someone they hope will work out. And they either fail the drug test or are just not the dependable employee. They have nothing but glowing things to say about the Mexican workers they have been able to employ. Again. They have some good Americans. But from there perspective. It is much harder to find good Americans in their industry.

The government really needs to streamline this. I hope that this is just a part of getting that done.

16. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    From my experiences in Oakland, coaching many sons and daughters of Mexican folks, the vast majority are good, hard working people.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    When the corporate monkeys back off their obscene earnings and spread it around a bit so that the grunts can actually afford to raise a family on the ridiculous wages they pay, we won't be having this discussion. My parents grew up on farms. They slopped the hogs, milked the cows, picked the corn, you name it. If you're gonna be broke you might as well sit on the couch. What's so freaking difficult to understand about this?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Oh, and let them starve.

19. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    You can try to shift who this is actually hurting, but I don't think the problem is that the "DC elite" won't have cheap crab, it's that the fishermen who own these businesses are going to lose them. I will grant you that the guy who owns a business isn't at the bottom of the economic ladder, but he's also not "elite", whatever that means.

20. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    That's a nice theory, but it won't save these businesses. The owners of these small businesses are probably busting their ass already, and your theory about how there should be plenty of workers willing to take these jobs isn't going to help them get the grass mowed, the crabs cleaned, or the produce picked.

• Agree Agree x 2