Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trumps Coronavirus speech

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gator515151, Feb 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    That could actually happen today. Right now it's down 890 points. But I'm sure it's Obama's or Hilary's fault.

2. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    Over 1,000 now. Getting ugly. At this point, we've given back all the gains for 2018, 2019, and 2020.

upload_2020-2-27_15-59-42.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Closed at almost 1200 points down, 3000+- for the week. I'm getting sick and tired of so much winning. I think I just heard Gene Deckerhoff shout "Fire the cannons". The Bucs must be inside the red zone. My stock portfolio sure is :D:D.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    my “favorite” part of that “Tweet” is the “unnecessary” use of “quotations”

what a buffoon.

5. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Sanders?

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    The dog. He ate the YTD P&L's. :eek::D

7. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I did. And if you scroll up a few pages, you’ll see that I gave Trump credit for his press conference. See post #20, page 1 (“He very skillfully called out Pelosi for trying to politicized the outbreak, and create a panic. He made it clear he wanted to work with everyone to make sure things were under control. I appreciated his proclivity to try and work with everyone regardless of which aisle they sit. Good for Trump on this one. Don’t know if I’ll ever utter those words again.”)

The quip you responded to above had to do with a broader view of Trump, not just how he performed last night.

8. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Excuse me, this being a thread about the briefing last night I interpreted your post as being about last night.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Lots of discrete responses to many different people over 108 posts.

10. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Trump gives speech trying to avoid stock market panic-> next day the largest single day point drop in DOW history.

Bravo, Donald.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    It is rather spectacular

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Best. Speech. Ever. It was a PERFECT speech. Most. Perfect. Speech. Ever. yeah, that is what it was

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    if his goal was to calm the market, he failed miserably

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I always get a kick out of those "back the truck up" posts on various boards.

If the guy has money set aside to "back the truck up", that means he wasn't already in the market. Oh, let me guess, he sold everything at EXACTLY 12:03 PM on 2/12/20, right? RIGHT? Amazing how intuitive message board stock traders are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Some big traders do have a lot of money set aside and can capitalize on the opportunity to jump in at low prices. Berkshire Hathaway is sitting on something like $130B in cash.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. NavyGator93

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    I don’t think it is odd to have a decent amount in cash now but have played the market in the past. Like a lot of people, I have been in the market forever but as I have gotten older I have purchased less stock. More bonds, paid the house off early, sitting in money market. I have missed out on a little of the run up over the last year but like I said, I’m getting older and it seemed prudent.
    That being said, if I buy into this downturn, it won’t be much. Not because I don’t think there is money to be made, I am just more fiscally cautious at this age.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  17. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I realize that this board is very therapeutic for those who slam Trump or those who praise him. Regardless of which 'side' your are on, we have a very, very big problem with this virus. If Sanders, Bloomberg, or any Dem was president at this time, we would still have the same problem. I personally don't think the speech did anything, just provided fodder for both 'sides'.
    I had a major European cruise planned, beginning of May, sailing from Rome, with 5 other couples. We are all scrambling now to try and maximize refunds from the cruise line, airline, and tours. Italy gets a tremendous amount of money from tourism. The direction this is heading.. Italy's economy will be hurt very badly (as will other European countries) as this virus progresses. For the next 3 or 4 months, IMO, we will see economic numbers come out that will be very negative for the markets.
    IMO, closing the border with China was a positive for us. China is the source of this, and they completely lack transparency. I wouldn't be surprised if our intelligence agencies know how this thing started, and they are keeping it under wraps. Other than closing the border, our response has been mediocre at best.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. NavyGator93

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    I am on the side of the United States, but you are correct. This is a real problem and it would be a real problem no matter who was an office. I do believe some people would’ve handled it better than others.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Bell just rang and the Dow is already down 600+ points and Cramer looks and sounds like he's at a funeral. It would be good to be in a big cash position and be ready to pounce when it bottoms out. It's starting to feel like 2008 again.

20. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    Fox News' top stories, in order:
    Trump rails against Dems 'wasting time' amid coronavirus threat
    Tucker Carlson: US is vulnerable to coronavirus because libs care more about identity politics
    Coronavirus spreads to 60 countries
    Geraldo Rivera disappointed that the left has used the virus to 'ridicule' Trump
    A couple other actual coronavirus stories
    Findally - Laura Ingraham debunks biggest lies levied at Trump administration over coronavirus response.

I mean, yeah, don't you just hate the way the Democrats are politicizing this?
    Ebola outbreak: Why Obama is allowing Ebolaphobia to spread
    Obama’s Ebola plans: A new boondoggle?
    Ebola crisis: Yes, we need to help but is Obama ready to keep Americans safe?
    Is Obama doing enough to prevent an Ebola outbreak in America?
    Fox Doc's Racial Rant: Obama Welcomes Ebola Because His "Affinities" Are With Africa
    Ingraham Suggests Obama Is Willing To Expose American Troops To Ebola To Atone For Colonialism
    Laura Ingraham Rants That 'Obama Let The Ebola Virus Into The U.S.'
    Rush Limbaugh: Obama Wants Americans To Get Ebola As Payback For Slavery

• Winner Winner x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.