Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trumps Coronavirus speech

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gator515151, Feb 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I play long term. But those that do play the market lost a lot of money in the last two days. Some may recover it playing the timing game and some will get burned. You can play the timing game all you want.

• Like Like x 1
  2. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    The Green New Deal is just a proposal, that in my opinion goes nowhere, and is not real. For that you only get a C- for deflection.

Back to reality. 8.5 Billion dollars is a drop in the bucket when comparing to trillion dollar deficits and multi-Billion possible trillion dollar economic losses. You don't need math to understand that, even if you can't do word problems ;). This would be one investment that would actually be worthy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't see the need to praise or criticize Trump all the time. I thought the conference was good for the people. Trump and the press have a symbiotic relationship. Trump did say at one point "let's keep this about the virus" Trump is easy to bait, he can't help himself in that respect. The press will dangle controversial bait in front of him, and Trump has to strike.

I think of what Jim Morrison said in "The Lords and the New Creature" about Cinema & The Press (as only he could say it!) "Baths, bars, the indoor pool. Our injured leader prone on the sweating tile. Chlorine on his breath and in his long hair. Lithe, although crippled, body of a middle-weight contender. Near him the trusted journalist, confidant. He liked men near him with a large sense of life. But most of the press were vultures descending on the scene for curious America aplomb. Cameras inside the coffin interviewing worms."

4. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Seriously. In the same press conference he blamed the Dem debates for the stock market decline. You seriously need to take off your rose colored lenses.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    My buddy who did deals with him disagrees. What is obvious to everyone except a few is true. Trump doesn’t give a damn about anything but Ivanka and himself.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    “A contrived crises by the left.” The left made up the quarantines in China? The shutting down of industry in China. The responses in countries all over the world. Trump’s travel restrictions. Try getting your information from reliable sources. Except “you have to want to believe.”

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    One problem with government that you don't see in the private sector and I saw it at the county level is that government tends to hire a bunch of people to sit around until you need them. In the 90s we had a director of our department who used the phrase "grow the department" over & over. Our dept grew by 50%, there were always people sitting around the office waiting for something to happen. It is easy when you are spending public money.

I don't think Trump was thinking of cutting essential people. They are still there if you need to hire more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I agree that the hype is a bit much. H1N1 was a big deal back then. The tracking of events locally was less on point than today which makes real time events seem bigger.

My kids got the H1N1 virus back in ‘09 from school. School in Chicago was shut down for a few days and fevered kids weren’t allowed to school for 48 hours after.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    wouldn't those be orange tinted glasses?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    You are funny. I have never in my life popped pills. I haven't touched alcohol in 30 years, smoked a little pot in college but that is it. I don't even take pain pills after surgery. That said I do take an ambien (sleeping pill) sometimes at night due to insomnia but other than that I'm probably the soberest person you know.

• Like Like x 1
  11. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It is also not a all or nothing proposition. At one end, let's do nothing at the other everyone freak out. In between, due diligence and HONESTY about protecting the health of the population as best we can. Not everything is about Donald Trump, this is not just some grand conspiratorial false flag operation to somehow hurt Donald Trump. It is also not some dystopian apocalypse movie where millions are dying and stores are being looted.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    cool story bro. Not sure how this thread has devolved into anecdotes about your substance ingestion but that’s clearly personal and it’s not germane to the thread. Maybe stay on topic?

13. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You have no evidence that is the case at the CDC. Not all government is analogous either. Small local governments don’t have the same controls as the Federal government. That is t to say there isn’t large amounts of waste and bloat in our Federal government. Rationally there has to be.

Another problem with this argument is that a lot of the money cut was for programs to combat disease in other countries to stop epidemics before they become pandemics. There’s sound reason for this as it’s always better to fight the battle in someone else’s backyard than your own.

At any rate, this has devolved into a typical Trump defense. 1) Allegation he did something. 2) Trump supporter rebuttal that he didn’t do what was claimed. 3) Facts show he did do what was claimed. 4) Trump supporter changes argument to that it was for the good. 5) Show how it wasn’t. 6) ...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rose colored glasses? Lol. I am no Trumper by any means. However, the question was put to Trump about the market’s drop, so he had to answer. And his answer, for someone trying to avoid widespread panic, was perfect. At first I chuckled, because it was pretty funny. And then, as I was in the midst of my long, tortuous commute I reflected that maybe there was some truth to it.

So I will ask you to answer the following question, shutting out your own political proclivities, just for the moment: How do you think the market will react to Sanders winning the Presidency?

15. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Huh? He was asked about his reaction to Pelosi criticizing his handling of the crisis, for asking for too little money. He responded that he was disappointed that Pelosi was trying to create a panic rather than working together to help control the situation. He said he’d take as much money as Congress was offering and felt was needed to resolve the issue. Having actually listened to the entire press conference, Trump did not make the situation about politics at all. The press did ask him political questions and he answered them.

That was my objective take away. And, to be clear, I am an independent who greatly dislikes the manner in which our government is run under Trump, for a legion of reasons.

16. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Yeah, that's all we need is another anecdotal "anonymous source" to tell us how mean and nasty Trump is. Most rich people have rubbed a decent amount of people the wrong way at some point. It's really hard to get rich if you're nice to everybody. Sure, there are the lucky exceptions, but most people with money are hard asses.

17. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    The DOW is down 570 pts so far today. The short positions are killing it.

18. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    Yeah, his argument follows the typical liberal logic...

Pelosi and Schumer: it's open season for them, they can do whatever, say whatever. Trump: defending himself from their attacks makes him a horrible person

Hurr Hurr.. Don't we all feel so much smarter after reading.

19. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Most of the press does not treat Trump well. That’s because of several factors, including Trump declaring war on the press (imagine how you’d feel if the sitting President said everyone in your profession was dishonest), and Trump repeatedly Tweets some truly idiotic things that are fair game.

Trump is the President of the United States. He should try acting like it. Maybe if he started to have regular press conferences, instead of tweeting, and attacking the press, he might be able to make amends rested with more “dignity.” It would be a start ...

• Like Like x 1
  20. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    So, what you're saying is the media can't take their own medicine. They can dish it out with impunity and do so rather vigorously, but if someone criticizes them, it's wrong. That's the same logic libs have with Trump defending himself from Pelosi and Schumer. So, the moral of the story is, they can all do whatever they want and Mr. Trump is supposed to cower like a little girl and let them do whatever.

Quite frankly, Trump has made the game more transparent. He doesn't hide the fact that he hates the press, but he has also highlighted their dishonesty, posing as unbiased fact reporters when a lot of their work are slant pieces.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.