Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trumps Coronavirus speech

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gator515151, Feb 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    LOL... I clicked over to CNBC and saw the futures were negative after the speech ... had no idea they were positive at the beginning. I guess when you have a reputation of lying about everything the smart money interprets “nothing to worry about, everything is great” as “were screwed”.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
  3. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I think Trump cares about a lot more than you are willing to give him credit for.

• Disagree x 8
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  4. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You'd be surprised at how many, including Congress, doesn't know that number.

Let's put all of this in perspective:

The last pandemic infected between 11 to 21% of the global population (700 million to 1.4 billion), killing an estimated 150,000 to 575,000 people, in 8 months. No, it wasn't the Spanish Flu of 1918, it was the pandemic of 2009. How many here remember it? I didn't. I was too caught up with the Great Recession to even pay attention to anything else. I vaguely remembering something about a swine flu but it wasn't exactly the big story of 2009. But it makes this virus look like a common cold so far. I don't remember the US government warning of shutdowns or San Francisco calling an emergency or Obama addressing the nation 3 months into the Pandemic. No school closings of any kind either (my son was 6 at the time). Zero panic. I don't remember a single quote from Obama, no addressing the nation, nothing. However, keep in mind the Pandemic of 2009 originated not halfway around the world, but just across our own border, in Mexico. Think about that for a second. No border wall so we had how many millions streaming across the border in 2009? Not once did Obama shut down the border. The virus was first diagnosed on March 9th and it took Obama nearly 6 months to declare an emergency, just a couple of weeks before the virus started to taper off any way. If Trump did that today, half the country would crucify him. I tried to find one article before October 2009 about the H1N1 and any Obama appearances on TV and found nothing. Nothing in CNN's archives. If you do a search, you will find every article dated October 2009. I wonder if there was even one thread about it on THFSG.

The H1N1 claimed over 1,000 American lives by November 2009, infecting millions of Americans and hospitalizing over 20,000.

Not infecting 15 people like we have today. It took millions of infected with over 1,000 deaths before Obama declared a state of emergency 6 months after the virus was detected in Mexico. And now when we have a still-trivial virus, everyone all of a sudden wants to panic? I'm not making light of this virus, but to induce a panic right now over this doesn't make sense. Sure, there are things we all can do to limit this virus, but to read stories about a possible shutdown of schools and businesses is wrong.

There's a part of me that is thinking of a quote, "Never let a crisis go to waste." Want to weaken Trump, hit the one set of numbers he has been hanging his hat on - the economy. Democrats have been praying for a recession for 3 years and if they can't get one the natural way, then they'll manufacture one. So here we have a virus. Perfect timing isn't it? An election year too. Had this happen in 2017, it would be a non-factor today and it probably takes away precious time from the Mueller probe. If this virus kills 1,000 Americans, infecting millions of Americans, and hospitalizing 20,000, think about the panic. But the democrats sure are using it to full affect - San Francisco calling a state of emergency and ordering 270,000,000 masks at $10 a piece. Media sure is spending a 100x more coverage on this virus which adds to the panic.

Even I had started to get caught up in it until a Dr at UAB reminded me of 2009. So I looked up that virus and found the above numbers. Everyone remembers SARS, but they don't remember the real Pandemic of 2009.

Before you bash:

Obama declares H1N1 emergency - CNN.com

Here's the medical variant:

2009 H1N1 Pandemic

So why is everyone so scared of this virus but not the one in 2009? Is it because they are trying to prevent 2009? SARS was defeated pretty easily in 2003 but 2009 was a close call. Had that virus had a mortality rate equal to the last time the H1N1 was infecting people, the US would have had nearly 2 million deaths. This version of H1N1 actually didn't affect people of 60 years old and older because a third of them survived the Spanish Flu of 1918 and were immune to this version. The majority of deaths were to healthy young people, just like the Spanish Flu.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    An degree in math? Tell us how to pay for the Green New Deal... Show us that math...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Don't feed the haters. Trump has increased the spending for the CDC... more than Obama. This according to Laura Ingraham just now.

According to Keven McCarthy the Congress increased the funding to the CDC by 40%...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Just another contrived crisis by the left. Yawn.

Although Senator Cotton has a point... there is that possibility that the origin in Wuhan was NOT a coincidence.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 4
  8. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Trump cares a lot more for himself than anything else.

• Winner Winner x 4
  9. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    You would make a great friend when a dude needed cash to go on that holiday to the Caribbean. One could lie all the time and screw people over and when the desire to go on holiday comes along just say "hey, just saw a poor dog hit by a car struggling to survive and I thought how can I help dogs everywhere not die that way. So sad. Can I have $4000.00 for the cause because I care about a lot more things than you think and I just have to save the 39000 that die everyday. Its very important to do this and I may need more money later. Thanks my good friend....."

I believe your ability to analyze Trump is not spot on.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    According to some posters on here it is clear that Trump actually founded the CDC and is paying for it with his annual salary.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I was only half paying attention to the speech and didn't track what was going on with futures, but he actually seemed to stay on point for the most part (unlike his twitter crazy) and even said he would go along with "whatever" funding congress sends him. Then he proceeded to put Pence in charge of the response.

If anything, the market might have been additionally spooked that Trump seemed to be taking it seriously.

12. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Your post reminds me of one of my ambien posts when I take an ambien before going to bed but make one last post. Then the next morning when I read my post I scratch my head and ask WTF?

What are you taking? I need me some of them drugs.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    I don't know what you guys are worried about. Trump says everything is under control. A man with such character and unwavering honesty should put everyone's mind at ease.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    harrumph harrumph we can all sleep much better now that he got up there and lied to us some more......smh

15. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Trump has proposed cutting the CDC’s budget in three of his four presidential budgets. This year he is seeking a 16-18% cut and additionally cutting funding of the WHO and USAID. Just because the House hasn’t let him doesn’t mean he’s acting judiciously.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You're confusing him with Al Gore

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    no confusion just speaking the facts.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Funny thing is I always took you as being taken with excessive pill popping. My comments were fairly confusing to you as your deflection shows. Oh well.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Andy, Please feel free to dump all of your equity investments out of the fears that many very irresponsible people in media have created. Please encourage your friends do the same. I will be happy to “back the truck up to the door” and and take many of the stocks that are now a bargain due to the hype of this virus.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    People said the same thing in 2000 and 2006 at the first signs of weakness... “buy on the dips” works great until the dips turn into plunges. No one knows what the future holds, but I tend to agree that Trump is more scared of a stock market decline hurting his re-election than he cares about the virus.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.