Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump tells lawmakers he won’t sign deal to avert shutdown, demands funds for border security

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flgator2, Dec 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Hurting the right people.

Reference: ‘It’s Just Too Much’: A Florida Town Grapples With a Shutdown After a Hurricane | Swamp Gas Forums

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. philobeddoe

philobeddoe Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    I don't get the controversy over "trump's Wall" and its funding. Let the people that voted for Trump in 2016 donate $6.62 per month for a year and Trump will have his $5 billion.

Now …. if Trump raised those funds from private sources, would the democrats go along with the construction of that which Trump wants?

3. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Let me just cut and paste my response to this idea from another thread.

Well to be fair, there is a GoFundMe where trump supporters are pledging their own money to build the wall. Unfortuntely, none of them seem to understand how a big a number $5,000,000,000 is. They were all excited about it in the first few days, but it's ben languishing south of $20,000,000 for over a week now. The enthusiasm for paying for it with their own money appears to have dried up. Maybe someone got a basic calculator and crunched the numbers?

4. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    and here's another look at it from about a week ago. And btw, the announcement on the guy's web page that was supposed to happen "next week", still says the same thing a week later...next week.

Really bad news wall fans. The GoFundMe for the great wall of trump seems to be dead, or at least in a coma. It's been 5 days since the above post where the GoFundMe was sitting at $17,896,281. And as you can see donations are drying up.

12-28-18 - $17,896,281
    01-02-19 - $18,658,090

That's $761,809 or just $152,362 a day. Let's use $150,000 a day just to make the math easier.

$1,000,000,000 / $150,000 = 6,666.666 days (that's kind of ominous)
    6,666.666 days / 365 = 18 years

Now we're looking at 18 years just to reach a billion, and we'll pretty much all be dead of old age before we reach $5 billion at this rate. But there's an interesting development at the guys non GoFundMe website that he touts on the page.

WE THE PEOPLE WILL FUND THE WALL!

THE WALL IS BEING BUILT! We are releasing full plan next week! We have full backing from people you love & trust!

IT'S HAPPENING!

I guess some conservative (Mexican?) billionaires must be stepping up and paying for it all. So hopefully Congress can pass a funding bill and trump can sign it, because even without Mexico or the United States paying for it...

[​IMG]

5. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    I'm trying to decide if this shutdown is causing problems for many Americans or if it is just no big deal at all.

:emoji_thinking:

6. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    $5 billion would not pay for the wall. It is what he wants for this year.

7. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lou Dobbs! Is he still kissing Trump's butt every night no matter what? I quit watching him at all a good while back for health reasons. He was almost as bad as Hannity, and that's pretty awful.

8. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Now the video isn't playing for me anymore.

Meh, oh well.

9. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    I think I know what he says without hearing it. Basically, "Thank God for Donald Trump." Though I don't know if Dobbs is religious.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    He is. I follow him on twitter for laughs. The con posters here are more objective.

11. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    If the University of Florida shut down tomorrow, it wouldn't be a big deal to most people. Fox News could tell their viewers, "Who cares, my life hasn't changed, has yours?" and the vast majority would say, "Hey they're right. I don't need anything from the University of Florida, therefore it's unimportant whether it exists or not. It doesn't affect me, it's not important!"

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    That very same mentality was plentiful during the Saving & Loan collapse, as well as the tsunami of 2008. I was front and center for both, and for those of us who were directly affected, it was pretty f*(&*(ing important.

But the mantra was then as it is now: "Long as I gets mine, who gives a bleep about everyone else".

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    One thing you won't hear from Trump tonight, and you can take this to the bank: "I feel your pain."

He's more likely to say something like "You are a pain."

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Pelosi is having fun with trump, his brand of politics seems to suit her well. She can let fly the demeaning quips and the Republicans can't really complain because it's exactly what trump does, and the Democrats don't complain because they think trump deserves it. Hope everybody is enjoying the new normal in American politics - it's basically become "Too Hot" on a national stage and with real consequences.

Thanks trump!

Pelosi says Trump doesn't get shutdown's effect on workers: 'He thinks maybe they could just ask their father for more money'

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) took a dig at President Trump on Wednesday after a brief meeting that Trump described as a “total waste of time.”

Speaking to reporters outside the White House, Pelosi said Trump did not understand the financial insecurities of many federal workers who are expected to miss paychecks due to the ongoing partial government shutdown.

“Many federal workers will not be receiving their paychecks, and what that means in their lives is tragic … the president seems to be insensitive to that,” Pelosi said. "He thinks maybe they could just ask their father for more money. But they can’t.”

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    D2C9C5C0-A717-47A4-864F-01AAB71AF400.jpeg

16. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017

Looks like Trump was watching Fast and Furious 4 for research. Of course, they used a tunnel in that.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    The issue is simple and seems hardly worthy of 22 pages. Trump campaigned on a wall, he won the election on a wall, and he will settle for nothing less than a wall. (Steel or concrete, take your pick.) The only way to get rid of this issue is to get rid of Trump, either by impeachment or the 25th amendment. But neither will work. Even if the House impeaches his worthless ass, the Senate is controlled by spineless Republicans who won't find him guilty. And the 25th amendment won't work because it requires action by the VP, who is a spineless sycophant and bootlicking lapdog. And Trump declaring a national emergency won't work because he would have to prove there's some emergency. Duh. So there is no solution to the government simply going to hell till 2020.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    The twitter response are pretty funny. A tame one...

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    :D

• Funny Funny x 4
  20. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Looks like each side has settled on The Wall as a campaign issue in the next election. They will each be running on the other side's butt-headed intransigence. And they'll both be right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.