Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump supporter who called Covid-19 a hoax dies from virus 2 weeks later

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by orangeblue_coop, Apr 5, 2020.

1. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    upload_2020-4-5_16-19-17.jpeg

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    And his comment in the Kennedy thread was simply because someone mentioned the Ted Kennedy disgrace. Shrug.

3. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Do you think because I disagree with you on politics that I want you dead? But that's besides the point. Because those people don't just risk killing themselves. They risk infecting others and causing collateral damage, even if somebody did think Trumpers dying promotes the greater good (and that certainly isn't my opinion).

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That's a pretty disgusting post. Feel better?

Edit: Seriously, you're not usually like this. Have you been downing a few?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. mutz87

mutz87 #glassofwatergate VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Okay I lied. I'll make an effort to respond. I like you homer and am not sure if this was just an attempt at snarky humor or whether you truly believe what you wrote. Either way, I can't say it's completely unexpected, at least not from the position of your interpreting my comments as a direct attack on you or others on the right, but yet I can say that after all these years, I would think you'd be able to discern such comments from how I feel about or want for you and others generally.

My comments about Trump , Fox, Trump supporters was harsh. I know it. It's also how I truly feel. There is an ignorance among many of them, maybe a very large swath of them and I think rightwing Trumpism is the most complete expression of reactionary-ism and anti-science, and anti-democratic values that has burgeoned over the past few decades. On some level, it bothers the hell out of me because that ignorance and conspiracy mongering is dangerous, and Trump, Fox, many rw websites, and many republican politicians foment it. It certainly isn't any honest, principled conservatism as I understand it. But make no mistake, I have never expressed or suggested anything as foul as you imagine, even if meant in jest.

With this specific issue, let's look at the facts. On here and outside here, there was widespread arguments coming from the right that this was *not a big deal.* *It was the flu* *No worse than the common cold* Trump upped the ante in calling democrats and scientists ringing the alarm another "democratic hoax." Folks on the right adopted this thinking (including obviously the poor woman who now perished from covid-19). Some on here used the same terms. Others tried to play it down for weeks making argument after argument about this not being a big deal. That democrats and *the media* were fueling this.

Then you have fox news. Multiple videos showing hannity, pirro, others playing it down, also using the same rhetoric and same terribly ill-informed arguments that wasn't simply misinformation, but imo ideologically driven disinformation. Sickening on every frickin level to me because of the danger this type of thinking poses to all of their viewers and his supporters, but to the general public. Trump and Fox seeded this and for weeks the rw echo chamber blasted it around.

After multiple times contradicting our top scientists, further trying to sew distrust in venerable, essential institutions, Trump all of a sudden pivots. But it was too late, yet even so he regularly undermines his credibility with his off the cuff riffing at what should be only about the virus and fightin it to belittling journalists, talking about his ratings, talking about hooking up with strippers, putting his unqualified SiL in charge of the response. And attacking attacking attacking others. There are no words that I can find to describe just how irresponsible and malevolent this is to me.

Yet here we are and your response to me after I've written a gazllion comments (along with many others) pounding the drums about how serious this is and how I want everyone to be safe and how I have friends and family who are Trump supporters and how I've tried to bring solid information to all of these discussions. This while you ignore how Dan Patrick, Brit Hume, Glenn Beck, and folks at Fox and many on here have basically or explicitly made the argument that old folks are expendable because the economy.

So not only did you get every.single.thing about me wrong other than I harshly criticized Trump/Fox/the right--demonstrably provable through my numerous posts--you ignore where that disgusting train of thought is coming from. And where it's coming from is among your fellow travelers. So yeah, I not only reject this aspersion, I find it disappointing more than anything of you to project on to me that which you have ignored coming from others when I've never even suggested such a thing, but quite frankly, the exact opposite, repeatedly, forcefully.

But you know what, we've always seemed to get along on here even in our differences and nothing has changed my mind toward that end, but I cannot make any more of an effort to show you that despite my contempt of various ideas and attitudes on the right (I have some of the left too), that this is different than hating people or wanting to see people dead, which would by insinuation suggest I want to see my family dead, including my father, sister, and niece (who actually works as a producer on Fox and friends).

I've said my peace. Stay safe. I want you and your family to be happy and healthy and to get through this crisis as much as I want everyone else, family, friend, foe, everyone.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Thank you.
    Thank you very much.

7. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    No. I’m just getting tired of the same old same old. Broken record fatigue.

BTW. I wasn’t serious, just trying to break up the monotony.

8. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Her death is a tragedy, I for one am not gloating over her death. She is not a deplorable, she's a victim of the greatest con artist in American history just like the "students" of Trump University. The difference is that they lost their money. She may have lost her life because she believed Donald Trump.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Ignorance kills.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Very sad. What’s amazing to me is his crazy that rant sounded though. Did she really believe that stuff?

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. PacificBlueGator

PacificBlueGator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    I feel bad for the family, as much as I do for any of the victims. I would feel really bad if I were responsible for telling people this whole pandemic was a hoax, or that it wasn't that deadly, that it was going to disappear in warm weather, or that the number of infected would soon go to zero. People want to be able to believe the POTUS and their news source to get true information. If the POTUS and FOX say that scientists at CDC are not believable, because they are the 'deep state' and are 'never Trumper's', and they risked being bravado in the face of this virus, and it led to people becoming infected and dying, then as POTUS, I would resign. But Trump doesn't take responsibility, he doesn't care and he just shifts his story, now finding scapegoats and people to blame as the crisis worsens. He's just not morally wired like we see most of our presidents.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    This is one of the best posts I’ve ever read. Thanks

You have every right to be disgusted. You and others say it every day, same thing, over and over. It gets old after a while. I posted for shock value. As much as I was not serious I have a few doubts that some here (not you btw) don’t wish what I wrote as fact.

I don’t listen to Trump, Hannity, FOX, Limbaugh, etc. I watch ABC world news at 6:30. That’s it.

I guess if I listened to all the tabloid news shit (Fox, CNN, MSNBC) , Trump press conferences, radio jocks etc., maybe I would be more informed on how bad they are.

We are in the middle of a serious health emergency and all everyone can do is throw shit at each other. I decided to get in on it my way.

I hope, and yes (OMG) pray every day and night that we survive this pandemic, the economy doesn’t tank. That everyone might learn a lesson from all this. That we might be brought together (certainly not going to happen here) by having to help each other make it through.

Usually when something like this happens people forget their differences and work together. This place is the opposite. Non stop name calling, finger pointing, etc.

I’m one of the conservatives that didn’t run away. I like it here for the most park. However, that like is greatly diminishing.

I’m going to give myself a time out and read only occasionally, spend more time with my wife hunkered down. I’m 67 and she’s 66. At the way this thing is exploding we may be next in line?

You be safe Mutz. And don’t think for a second I don’t think your a good person. I read about what you did for Intimi.

I wish the best for everyone.

Peace to all.

• Like Like x 7
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. mutz87

mutz87 #glassofwatergate VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Thank you! I know your humor and style. And I know you wish the best for anyone. Never actually thought otherwise.

You make a good point about reading more. I need to step back a bit too. or actually for me refrain from the kind of political criticisms that ruffle feathers. I don't need to post them, better during this trying time to as you say come together.

Yes, I hope we all get through this as of course every single person here thinks as well. That there can be no doubt. It's hard for people--self included--to wrap their heads around all of this, so I suppose what would be better is to help each other manage, not fight.

Wife and I are hunkered down too. We're in our fifties but I have underlying health conditions that have made me go as extreme as I can. I've left my house to go to the store once for necessities. Now by agreement, I won't be going anywhere for the next few months at a minimum.

You and yours stay safe. We can argue about silly stuff down the road while sippin on some whiskey in celebration that this horror has ended.

• Like Like x 2
  14. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    The shittiest part is she chose ignorance. By the time of her first post it was pretty clear this was nothing to mess around with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    you are a good poster, hope you hang around.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    This has probably been pointed out, as I haven't read through the thread, but your analog fails. Tebow did not espouse ignorance, or fly in the face of good sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Another failing analog. . . The victim here publicly poo-poo'd warnings about C-19. The victim downplayed the severity of the pandemic in the name of politics. You can take your proposed funeral action and then tell us all about it, but only when the victim acted similarly to this one. Then again, nobody here is crashing the funeral - that was from your imagination.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    So, if Tebow had been espousing ignorance, it would have been cool to cheer his concussion? Yikes.

And let's not forget when all the libbies couldn't find their safe spaces fast enough when Tebow knelt in prayer on the field. Many of them would argue he was indeed espousing a lot of ignorance. In fact, many posters here make that argument on almost a daily basis. Of course, they leave Tebow out of it, because he might be the greatest Gator to ever lace them up, but the arguments are still made nonetheless.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    People downplay the dangers of various things all the time that end up killing them. As I mentioned with the smoking example, this is very evident. Making light of someone's death to score some political points is taking it way over the line.

20. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Like yr hero, I am not real PC. Hell yeah, I'd be more likely to cheer on a concussion if the person's ignorant spiel endangered others, cost them their jobs & ability to provide for their families. & yeah, I will rag hard on Christianity but never at people that genuinely walk the walk. You should be ashamed of yourself, shielding yourself with Tim.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1