Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump rolls back light bulb efficiency standards

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Sep 4, 2019.

1. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    In another huge win for America, Trump has rolled back energy saving, greenhouse gas reducing, and consumer money saving light bulb standards ... citing consumer choices as the reason.

The Trump administration on Wednesday announced that it will roll back requirements for more energy-efficient lightbulbs, introducing a set of rules that could lead to increased greenhouse gas emissions that accelerate global warming.

The filing from the Energy Department would prevent new efficiency requirements from implementation on Jan. 1 under a previous law passed in 2007 during President George W. Bush’s administration. That law phased out inefficient incandescent and halogen bulbs, and was approved with bipartisan support in Congress.

The standards that were scheduled to take effect in January applied to about half of the roughly 6 billion lightbulbs used in the U.S., and would have prevented millions of tons of carbon dioxide emissions from entering the atmosphere.

Despite the initial support for the bill from both sides of the aisle, the issue turned contentious during the Obama administration as the more efficient lightbulbs began to hit the market. Those include the LED bulbs that look more like the traditional pear-shaped incandescent bulbs, but use one-fifth the energy.

Trump rolls back regulations on energy-saving lightbulbs

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    4 D chess move

Inefficient bulbs means more coal usage.
    Super genius

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Illuminating.........

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    I must have missed the incandescent "choice" thread.

Exactly what "choice" does this provide back to the consumer?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mutz87

mutz87 C'est Moi VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    A 4D chess move in Trump's world is a 1D Chutes and Ladders move in the reality based community :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Seriously, I knew a guy 10 about years ago, back when Bush had passed the law, but it was going into effect under Obama, who claimed he bought out all the 100W incandescent he could find, and would only use them in his house until for the rest of his life, because no liberal was going to make him buy more expensive CFLs... didn't care that the CFLs would save him money over the life of the bulb. Now with LEDs, the lifetime cost savings are even wider...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. fredsanford

fredsanford GC Hall of Fame

Dec 1, 2008
    There’s no point to any of these kind of things other than generating an “own the libs” headline.

It’s the kind of thing that makes the rubes who would go to one of his rallies go, “attaboy!”

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Hated and still hate the CFLs. But honestly, given the two price points and the vastly superior LEDs, who is going to buy incandescent bulbs?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    LEDs can be had for <$1 a bulb now which is roughly the cost of incandescents before their demise. Light is just as good, too. In fact, can be better as you can get softer/harsher bulbs depending upon what area you are lighting (think bedroom v garage work bench).

I think I recall loose math of each LED saving you something like $10/year v an incandescent.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Wife and I both like the warm lighting from incandescent bulbs. So we split the difference. Incandescents for our home offices and one of the lights in the bedroom, everywhere else LEDs

11. staticgator

staticgator All American

Nov 27, 2016
    The choice for more freedom. I call them freedom bulbs.

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. ElimiGator

ElimiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    Try looking for a temperature range of 2700K-3000K LED bulbs. That’s the warm color range of incandescent bulbs. I had to play with a few LED brands to get the right feel even though they were sold as “warm” lights.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  13. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    The wonderfulness of deregulation!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Thanks. This is really helpful. I am going to do exactly as you suggest.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    And jobs, lots of lots of jobs!! And deals too, artful deals!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Freedom bulbs!

I honestly believe if given the choice between saving the country or eliminating liberals for forever, many conservatives would choose the latter. It’s truly bizarre how absolutely obsessed so many of them are with disagreeing with anything a liberal says it does, even to their own detriment. They will now race out and buy less efficient more expensive, worse for the globe bulbs just to spite liberalism.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl

incandescent bulbs are pretty difficult to find these days

18. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That is a incorrect too. I have 78 light sockets all around the house and I slowly replaced them first with those weird CDL bulbs (the swirly looking bulbs) and then eventually went to LEDs. Over the past 6 years, I had to replace all of those swirly bulbs and a little more than half of the LEDs. I actually have a few incandescent bulbs I can't reach that are still working so the idea that these save money in the long run is false. I have roughly 14 burned out now and will decide what to use next - either incandescent or maybe the newer LEDs and then keep a journal of longevity. I have a feeling the longevity is an assumption but so far I don't believe these bulbs will outlast an incandescent bulb. Still, the cost of the initial replacement of bulbs would have purchased a lifetime supply of incandescent bulbs since some of those LEDs cost upwards of $30 each.

19. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    If I had my way I’d have the entire house outfitted with Phillips lights that you can control the color from your phone. Wife thinks it’s cheezy so the boys and I just have them in the extra gaming room. Lame. Have had about a dozen bulbs 4/5 years with zero replacements.

20. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Honestly, had something similar happen to me. When I moved into my house 5 years ago I replaced every bulb in my house with LEDs. Mostly the cheap Lowes value packs but a few of the slightly more expensive ones for recessed light in the kitchen. Of the more expensive recessed ones in the kitchen, about 3 or 4 have failed, just started randomly blinking and flashing, all showed the same exact problem. F-I-L, who is an electrical engineer, says it's probably a bad batch of circuit boards because the light itself should last for 30 years and was obviously still working. All the value pack Lowes brand are still working great. But, I disagree with your math. If the LEDs really are saving me $100 a year, I can afford to replace like 10-30 of them a year, and still come out way ahead, and I'm seeing no where close to that. It's probably an average of less than 1 per year.

And if that's an issue, I'd point out that LEDs I bought had a 5 year warrentee, not that I'd go through the trouble to use it for a product that costs a couple of bucks.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 1