Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump mentions Ilhan Omar at rally, crowd chants "send her back!"

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by channingcrowderhungry, Jul 17, 2019.

1. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I agree, you are confused.

A white American telling a British American, say one who was naturalized, to go back to Britain because he perceives him as non-American can certainly be called racist. The common use of the term racist isn't only about "race" per se, but about ethnicity, national origin etc...It encompasses it. But like I said, it doesn't pack the same bite.

In earlier eras many white Americans were "racist" against Irish (and Italians and Germans etc...)because they weren't WASP. This has morphed into a more diffuse whiteness where even those who were "otherized" such as the Irish have become part of the white establishment. NTL, there are many remnants of this earlier racial hierarchy that sticks with us today.

So again, if Trump turned his eye on Cubans or "Cuban Americans" and attacked them like he does other minorities such as Omar, would you continue to defend him?

Or another way to ask, what will it take to get you to see what you seem determined not to?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Who said Trump,or anybody who says that, sees Omar as "non-American?"

Again, she's obviously American... she's in the US House of Representatives...

Trump isn't going after Somalians... He's going after a very specific Somalian who equated al Qaeda to the US, US army, and England. He's going after a very specific Somalian who referred to 9/11 as "some people did something." Lastly, he's going after a very specific Somalian because she's part of the radical left...

He's clearly not coming after her because she's Somalian... he's coming after her because of what I listed, above...

If Trump turned his eye on any ethnic/racial American group of people I wouldn't be defending him. Fortunately, he's not doing that... he's going after one Somalian, specifically...

Hell, Trump isn't going after Mexican-Americans... He's going after illegal immigrants...

When Trump attacked Rubio and Cruz... he wasn't attacking Cuban-Americans... He was attacking Rubio and Cruz...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Yet here you are continuing to try to defend him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    When Trump makes an unfair attack on Omar or any person of color, clearly because of the color of their skin or "foreign look."

For example, like he attacked AOC, Tlaib, and Pressley based on how they look... Perhaps there was a racial element, perhaps not... But the comments were definitely xenophobic and I can see how you'd call those racist... He implied that they were "from" some other country when they're just as much "from" the US as Trump is... They were born here...

When someone asks Omar, where she's from (before the US)... the correct answer is Somalia... She's from Somalia...

5. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Again, he's going after one Somalian, and not even because she's Somalian... not Somalians...

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    He's going after 4 Americans actually, not 1 Somalian.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    You are trying to justify it by isolating it as just Omar, as if this is only about her. But it's not; it's about what she represents--which is a foreign born person of color. Some "other." Not American. And by extension, this would mean other Somali-Americans are not Americans. And other Muslims. And others of color. Same goes with his Mexican rapists and shit-hole countries and Obama birtherism.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If you hate America like they do, leave then. I would say that to any person living here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    As one of them (I think), I am not at all suggesting Trump's comments were racist and xenophobic. I am saying it explicitly.

Really? You are going to try to play victim here after your incessant defense of Trump?

Criticize Omar and AOC etc....all you want. You can say all sorts of things about them that aren't racist (though they could be if the person meant them as such). But once someone invokes tropes of "going back" against minorities, you bet it will be called racist. There's a long, ugly historical context here. Maybe you need to read up on it some more?

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Official Brexit Reporter! Premium Member

Waking up to more news like this breaks my heart. I can't believe what I'm seeing in a nation that has long inspired me. The normalisation of race-led hatred from the President of the USA. I'm genuinely shocked. How can't people see it's wrong?

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No... what she espouses is sickening.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    As bad as his statements can be....its still a much better alternative to you know....the left.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Some people are extremely sensitive to this topic. I think you can see that a few here will fight tooth and nail against anything perceived to be racist....even though racism is mostly a thing of the past. It's hard to move forward for some who have used it to play victim for so long, and don't need it any longer.
    I do think we are lucky to have a forum like this to exchange ideas on such a divisive issue though.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. boligator

boligator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Typical Red Hat response...they HATE America..Just because they exercise their 1st amendment right to criticize policy makes them "un-American haters"...so to the Red Hats it's either you agree with me or get out...who are the REAL haters here?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    It's Alcaida.. duh. :D

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Unreal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    Trump is in the wrong here. No doubt. The double standard is whybwasnt this much noise made about Omar's anti semitic quotes? Do they not count as racists? Were they not long used tropes? Or Obama's "get tot he back of the bus"? Again a long used well known racist trope.

Simply put we hear and see what we want. Trump is bad so we hear and see "bad". But others doing very similar things we just shrug off.

• Like Like x 1
  18. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa

19. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Somewhere Steve Bannon is laughing and saying "I Win"

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    She's not a Somalian, she's an American and by the way, I am not fan of hers and hope that she is "primaried" next year. If you do not think she's an American I suggest you read the words of President Reagan.
    "America represents something universal in the human spirit. I received a letter not long ago from a man who said, 'You can go to Japan to live, but you cannot become Japanese. You can go to France to live and not become a Frenchman. You can go to live in Germany or Turkey, and you won't become a German or a Turk.' But then he added, 'Anybody from any corner of the world can come to America to live and become an American.'"

• Agree Agree x 1