Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump mentions Ilhan Omar at rally, crowd chants "send her back!"

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by channingcrowderhungry, Jul 17, 2019.

1. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Yeah just read one of the above articles. The jist of it seems to be around United Nations calling for a boycott

"
    So here we have evil, anti-American Ilhan Omar, fighting for more rights for Americans. lol

2. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Sounds like a lame bill to me when we have so many other more important things for our lawmakers to spend time on.

No wonder the approval rating of congress is in the toilet.

Israel of all countries....wow.....they're a huge ally of ours.

3. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
  4. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
  5. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    American's rights are important. However, neither side are likely to pass this. The reason that we send so many people to congress is specifically so that situations like this develop, as differing constituencies have different interests, which can be handled by some subset of people and doesn't need to rise to the level of involving everybody else initially. We have about 10-14K bills introduced every Congress, which is actually a substantial reduction to how many we used to have.

6. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    If you’re talking about the tweets... we agree they’re xenophobic at best, racist at worst...

If they were exclusively targeted at Omar... because she was born in Somalia... which they weren’t... all I’m saying is that this changes things...

7. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Never mind, she is pushing this before her visit to Israel next month. While it doesn't mention Israel specifically, clearly that is her target

8. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    I think your example is weak. I live in a 99% white neighborhood and guess what....there are a few weirdo neighbors who give me strange looks everyday, and I wave, trying to be friendly. I laugh to myself and wonder what the hell is wrong with people. Some folks just ain't right.
    You might be confusing racism with awkward and pretentious people.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    And I believe she changed this stance after she was elected. I think she is maybe the wrong person to back such a bill. Kind of smells of a pro Palestine kind of deal.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  10. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    In Florida, for example, it's not illegal to boycott Israel. But a company participates in that boycott, it is not allowed to bid on local or state govt projects. Other states have similar laws.

In Arkansas:
    Anti-BDS Legislation

11. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    For the record, she does suck. That was never my point in starting this thread :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    Well it should be of little surprise that she gets the responses she has.

13. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    It doesn't. The forest that you aren't seeing is because you are dwelling on a single tree. Continuing to do so is to allow yourself to be gullible to his racist demagoguery.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    White man who lives in a 99% white neighborhood doesn't see racism as a problem in the US. Maybe you should get out more? Or at least read more. How about this Op-Ed from Montel Williams.

As I watched my former party disgrace itself trying to defend these tweets this week, it occurred to me that this would all be so much easier to take in if Republicans would simply admit that their racism is a 2020 strategy. Their goal seems clear — convince white voters who know no better that they’re under assault from black and brown people.

The inconvenient truth about the Trump presidency is that it’s a reflection on all of us. It is a hysterical reaction to having had our first black president, and it’s time we stop pretending that Trump is somehow playing four-dimensional chess. It’s time to stop pretending that Trump isn’t a racist himself, and it’s time to acknowledge it’s the racism that attracted his base to him in the first place.

Just look at his rally Wednesday night in Greenville, N.C. When Trump said Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota "looks down with contempt" on "hard-working Americans," the crowd erupted in chants of "Send her back!"

I don’t defend the politics of Omar and the other three freshmen congresswomen who apparently call themselves “The Squad.” What I will defend to the death is the reality that each of them is just as much an American as the president or I. That principle is particularly important when it comes to the president’s transparent attempt to relegate Omar’s citizenship to second-class status because of who she is (a refugee who arrived in America at age 8), where she’s from (Somalia) and where she prays (she is Muslim).

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Curious how Trump would feel if the chants were directed at his immigrant wife? She wasn't a citizen when they got married.

16. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    I guess it's my turn to share Ben Carson's views on how Trump isn't racist.
    The primary racism that exists today has a name, white guilt. Playing the victim pays off.
    People come from all over the world here because we're so racist?....give it a rest.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Your personal experience as a white man in a nearly all white neighborhood provides no rational basis to make any determination about what minorities experience, generally, or specifically in living in predominantly white neighborhoods.

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    You'd like me to give it a rest, because I understand that you enjoy living in your white bread world where MLK Jr. solved all the racial issues in this country 50 years ago. Sorry. But as I said before, maybe you should get out of your comfort zone every once in a while.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Did you ever think you are the problem?
    You know, being all super threatening...:confused::ninja2:

20. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Missed those bombings of the church in Birmingham? And Bull Conner? The beating of the Freedom Riders? The killings at Kent State? The brutal attacks on demonstrators and in hotels in Chicago during the 1968 Dem. Convention? All in the 1960s.