Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump mentions Ilhan Omar at rally, crowd chants "send her back!"

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by channingcrowderhungry, Jul 17, 2019.

1. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Sickening. I'm honestly at a loss for words.

• Agree x 9
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

What can you say about such a grotesque spectacle?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    But she doesn't respect the office, so it's not racist.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  4. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Par for the course.

The Central Park 5 and Birtherism redux in the form of 4 ethnic Congresswomen.

And such a diverse group of chanters.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    She was 10 years old when her family moved from Somalia to MN. Something tells me she didn't have a say in that family decision on relocation. So if she is sent back, she is sent back to the Minny Apple.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Tjgators

Tjgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Wasn't the real quote "if you are not happy here, maybe you can go back and fix the country we saved you from and when you fix it, you can come back and help us fix our problems." They cannot help fix our problems because they hate America. The majority of Americans love that he has called out these clowns.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 12
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    No, it wasn't (for the second night in a row). Let me know when you figure out what country we save AOC or Pressley from, specifically.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. Tjgators

Tjgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That was for Omar for the second night in a row.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    You are referring to Omar by "they?" "They" is typically used for multiple people. But I understand not wanting to address that question.

• Winner Winner x 4
  10. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    1. In all honesty, Omar shouldn't be deported (obviously) just because she disagrees with Trump or has certain controversial opinions... I don't think these people were being serious... More than anything, they were voicing their disdain for Omar in this way.

2. I don't think that the part of Trump's comments that called out Omar were particularly as bad as those towards the other three Congresswomen because Omar actually wasn't always an American citizen... Nor do I think the comments, had they been exclusively directed at Omar (they were not) were necessarily xenophobic (or racist) because I don't think there's any evidence that suggests that Trump has any disdain or prejudice for any immigrants from Somalia that have a similar vision to America as Trump does... Omar specifically put herself out there in several controversial statements against Israel and regarding al Qaeda.

3. What made Trump's comments xenophobic and possibly even racist was that he lumped in AOC, Pressley, and Tlaib with Omar... who were all born American citizens... Which begs the question, why did he assume they "came from" somewhere else? This of course is what makes Trump's comments indefensible in my view...

4. If Trump had simply said "If you don't like America, then leave," I don't think that this would have been particularly xenophobic or racist either, though that's obviously not what he said... It may not be the best attack because Trump spent almost his entire 2016 campaign talking about how America was broken, and how he basically wanted to change things. Given such a campaign history, it may not be the wisest attack coming from him because America is just as much as "his" as it is AOC's, Tlaib's, Pressley's, and Omar's.

EDIT: And Trump, just like these 4 Congresswomen, thought that America was broken...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Par for the course for a Trump rally.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    You have a crowd of people chanting to send a US citizen back to her country of origin. And you condone it, yet accuse others of hating America. No majority of Americans love this. Nobody who calls themselves an American should even tolerate it.

• Winner x 10
    • Like x 2
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  13. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    They hate America, yet they decided to run for Congress? Are you saying they hate America because they criticize it? That would be an ironic stance for somebody who supports Trump to take.

They were voicing their disdain for Omar in a racist way, basically.

You think it's acceptable to tell a person to go back to their country simply because they're a naturalized citizen and you disagree with their opinion? Is that a joke?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Somebody please demonstrate how on planet earth we mere mortals can possibly know about other mere mortals that they don't know and have never met that they know more about those people than they know about themselves????

16. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Well, in all fairness, Trump said he’d like to date his daughter if she wasn’t his daughter. So maybe they have something in common.

Donald Trump and Ivanka Trump: The cringe-worthy sexual remarks Trump made about Ivanka

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  17. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Not racist (to Omar)... I doubt Trump would tell every Somalian to go back to their country...

I don't think he told Omar to go back to her country because she was a naturalized citizen. See her policy positions as well as her comments on Israel and al Qaeda.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    It's still racist. Do you think that a person who has black friends can't be racist? The mental gymnastics I've seen over the past few days have been Olympic caliber.

And no, you're saying that it is xenophobic and racist to tell a person who is born here to go back to their country but not a person who is a naturalized citizen. Do you understand how ridiculous that sounds? Do you understand how difficult it is to become a naturalized citizen? It's a hell of a lot harder than just being born here.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I'm saying that "they" have a "their" country.

What made Trump's comments xenophobic or possibly racist in the first place is that he assumed that AOC, Pressley, and Tlaib had a "their" country when they were born in the US...

I'm not suggesting that Omar is less American than those three, but I am suggesting that it's an accurate claim that she has "another" country. She wasn't born American... She was born Somalian.

So I don't find it xenophobic or racist to tell a born Somalian, naturalized American, that hates the very identity of America, and wants to fundamentally change it, to go back to Somalia if they hate it so much, here...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    A difference of political opinion from the President isn't a sign of hating the country. If it was, then every conservative hated America during the 8 years under Obama.

It's ok to disagree with Omar and her policy opinions. But attack the ideas and ideals. Not the person. Saying Omar, or any US citizen should return "home" because you disagree with them is un-American. Saying it to racial minorities is racist. The only thing worse than Trump are his adoring, sycophant fans, who cheer his every, repulsive instinct.

• Winner x 12
    • Disagree x 2
    • Come On Man x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1