Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump Lying and Being a Racist Again--this time DACA

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by AzCatFan, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Tjgators

Tjgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Didn't he offer citizenship for the wall? Wouldn't you all give that for these people? I would.

• Like Like x 1
  2. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Originally, Trump did make this offer, and the D's were considering it. Then Stephen Miller got Trump's ear, and the offer was pulled. More recently, Trump offered a continuation of DACA for the wall, but no citizenship. That's not a good deal for the D's to take.

My question to Trump supporters, is why equate DACA and criminals and put them in the same tweet if the goal isn't to appease the racist base of Trump supporters?

DACA kids were all in their late teens to early 20s when they were first eligible to request protection. Any group of 800,000 people this age is going to have some people who have had run in with the law. The DACA "kids" were no different, but statistically, even at 13% max, that doesn't seem to be significantly higher than other groups. In fact, it's likely lower.

As for the 700,000 plus DACA recipients who didn't get their protection rescinded due to criminal activity, as mentioned before, 90% of them are working. And according to the Libertarian CATO Institute, if we allow them to continue and work in the US legally, over the next 10 years, DACA kids would add an additional $351 billion to the economy, and $92.9 billion in Federal tax revenues. Does this sound like a bunch of hardened criminals?

Yet, Trump put DACA and hardened criminal in the same tweet. Again, I ask why? Was it because about 80% of all DACA recipients are Mexican, and the majority of the rest of the 20% come from Latin American countries, and the racist part of Trump's base eat Mexicans = criminals up? Why else would Trump make his tweet?

• Like Like x 3
  3. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    There are some Latins that aren't mixed, especially if you count people from South America and Cuba. Argentina's population used to be mainly Italian back in the 1980s and Chile had a lot of Europeans there also, even before WW2. I've met a few Cubans who look to be the pure white Spanish, like before the Moors came to Spain too. If you want to really insult a Cuban, Argentinian or Chileno, call them a "F...in' Indian" and see what happens. That ranks up there with calling a Latin guy a mericon.

4. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Trump appeared to have negotiated a deal with Chuck and Nancy under which the DACA recipients would have received citizenship in exchange for the wall. Apparently after talking with some of his advisors, most likely Stephen Miller and possibly Steve Bannon the Donald backed out, not unlike the way he backed out of the agreement to keep the government open in December 2018. If I recall some of Trump's unofficial advisors at Fox News like Laura Ingraham weren't very supportive of the deal either. In both cases Trump has demonstrated that he really doesn't negotiate in good faith and that his word is more or less meaningless.
    Pelosi and Schumer Say They Have Deal With Trump to Replace DACA
    The immigration deal Trump should've taken, but didn't

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    I rather have an ignoramus than a racist.... you?

6. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Based on appearance with Donald Trump you get both.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I need to repeat myself at this point.
    This thread is just stupid.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What is difficult to understand?

Trump clearly lied, and his lies are consistent with his ongoing derogatory lies and comments about people of color - Latinos in this case. Comments he refuses to make about white people even when they are caught in terrorist acts including murder. Clearly a pattern of racism that is consistent with his decades of racist actions.

The OP is spot on, and this is not that difficult to grasp.

9. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It was a false offer.

Reports were dems were actually considering the proposal, that’s when Ann Coulter, Limbaugh and others started their “no amnesty” campaigns, and suddenly it became wall in exchange for 2 year DACA extension and other non-starter nonsense.

I think the wall (as conceived by Trump) is a horrible waste, but indeed I would have traded it for a full immigration package including DACA. Maybe not just for DACA, as DACA really shouldn’t even be a thing we debate at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Trump is quite obviously both though, not really an either/or situation here.

11. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    The obvious lie is the “many”, there is no evidence the % of criminals in DACA is any higher than the general public writ large.

Pro tip: if you don’t want to be called a racist don’t constantly make up lies about racial minorities or have an obviously disproportionate focus on minority and/or immigrant crime. Crime is crime.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  12. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    The irony is strong with this one.

13. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I think you are misreading the stats from your link in the original post. The 13% comes from taking 59,786 (the number of DACA applicants who had arrest records when they applied) and dividing it by the 7814 (the number of DACA recipents with an arrest record who had an arrest after it was approved and before it was renewed). Read link in your OP do the math then come back to me if I am wrong.

Oops I typed that wrong it is 7814/59786= aprox 13%

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  14. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    He's both. A racist, by definition, is an ignoramus.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Trump’s False claim about DACA recipients, crime

16. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Trump's comments on the DACA recipients are a variation of his original narrative during the announcement of his candidacy in 2015 when he stated that "when Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people." His statement of 2015 was untrue as is his recent statement regarding DACA recipients. It's just another one of the Donald's appeals to racism and nativism.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Agree completely. And while Trump is actually fairly new to some elements of conservatism, this has been a tactic of American conservatism for a long time: That there is a large group of people that we really have to fear. They are coming to harm us, take what's rightfully ours and destroy our way of life. Been used against blacks, gays, commies, Muslims .... now immigrants.

18. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    No. Trump rejected the Dem offer.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1