Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

trump lies a lot - currently about "Tim Apple"

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by fastsix, Jan 22, 2019.

1. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    That really does summarize so much about Trump. He made a mistake, he called the guy by the wrong name. It happens. Admit it, maybe even joke about it, then move on.
    Instead, Trump simply lies and blames 'fake news.'

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. grumpygator77

grumpygator77 Senior

Nov 26, 2017
    He's the sitting president. I for one feel like I deserve to know when he lies to me.
    Which with this guy is pretty easy... As in Always.

But of course his lies are not the real problem. It's those that ignore and or accept his lies because it's the lies they want to believe.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. grumpygator77

grumpygator77 Senior

Nov 26, 2017
    and he has done neither. Good job :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. fredsanford

fredsanford Premium Member

Dec 1, 2008
    He doesn't like the media narrative that he may be getting old and dotty.

5. fortunateson

fortunateson Sophomore

Oct 4, 2015
    Nope....deranged!

6. fortunateson

fortunateson Sophomore

Oct 4, 2015
    I wonder if this picture was taken before, or after he French-kissed the flag! Creepy dude!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Just following Trump's lead. Lie. Lie again. Claim fake news about those reporting his lies. Rinse and repeat.

8. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    People that can admit to their mistakes and laugh about it are certainly more likable than people who constantly lie to cover up their mistakes. Something as minor as screwing up a name isn't something to double down on.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Trump's ego is so fragile that it really bothered him that a few commentators were ridiculing him over the mistake. The irony is that Trump's denial that he got Tim Cook's name incorrectly received much more coverage than the error itself and the absurd rationalization made him look like much more of an idiot than simply referring to Tim Cook as Tim Apple.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If he was the kind of person who could admit to mistakes and laugh them off, it would make his critics look petty if they continued to harp on minor issues. Obviously the big stuff is a different matter but these kinds of flubs should be much easier to deal with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. tiberius

tiberius Recruit

Thursday
    I'm new here, but it seems this place is loaded with Trump haters? Things seem to be going pretty well in the good ole USA, but all i read on this site is hate for the Commander in Chief. Is it because of lies? He's a politician now... they all lie and lie a lot... it is in the job description.

12. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    Looks like you're just trying to defend his constant lying by claiming irrational hatred on the part of those who point it out.

13. tiberius

tiberius Recruit

Thursday
    I don't defend lying but if every President who lied was impeached... every President would have been impeached. Actions matter more than words and his actions have been pretty successful so far. Not perfect, but successful. Much more successful than his predecessor if you ask me.

14. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    We're not talking about impeaching him for lying. Particularly for lying about unimportant stuff like his Apple gaffe. We're talking about his constant need to lie.
    And no, it's not like every president. Not even close.

And, no, you're not new here. Please ...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 2:24 PM
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    "I meant to say 'Tim Cook of Apple', but misspoke, but believe me, I won't complain if people decide to call me 'Donald President of the United States. <chuckles>'"

...done.

16. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Btw...I learned a great new word in this article: "paltering".

Why are So Many Of trump's Supporters OK With The president's lies?

As of mid-February, the Washington Post's fact-checking staff had tallied 8,718 false or misleading public statements by President Donald Trump since he assumed office. Yet his popularity, while low overall, remains very high among his base—a demographic dominated by evangelical Christians, who are taught lying is a sin.

Why are they so willing to discard the core principle of not bearing false witness? New research suggests the Ninth Commandment is subject to amendment when you hold an authoritarian mindset.

The research, published in the journal Personality and Individual Differences, finds Republicans are more likely than Democrats or independents to consider overt lying on the part of a politician morally acceptable behavior. This difference is largely driven by Trump supporters' endorsement of authoritarianism.

While relatively few Americans find it acceptable, "these results suggest that right-wing individuals are more tolerant to the spreading of misinformation by politicians," write Jonas De keersmaecker and Arne Roets of Ghent University in Belgium.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    More successful than his predecessor? Seem that the economy as measured by the unemployment rate has continued in a trend that began years ago under Trump's predecessor.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1