Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump: Jews are disloyal or lack knowledge when voting dem

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Aug 21, 2019.

1. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Why don’t you explain how it’s wrong rather than just saying it’s wrong over and over?

2. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    North Carolina
    I doubt it as it presumed adherence to principle.

3. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    North Carolina
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

6. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I find your comments interesting Az. I say that regarding:

"It is strange and anti-Semitic to insist that if my loyalties aren't equal to Israel that I'm not a good American"

The US and Israel have what I consider to be an unusual relationship. Unusual in that I wonder how would most Israeli's identify themselves, as Israeli Nationals or Jews?

The 'Judeo-Christian" dynamic tends to "distort" the religious and secular sides into something that's not (for me) easy to identify.

Myself I recognize Israel as an example of a successful Democracy (with plenty of warts of course), in a hostile part of the world.

What I don't recognize is the religious rights bizarre habit of shackling Israel and the US together in some strange "Book of Revelation" end of world game that encourages US foreign policy to adhere to scripture. The political implications for this world view is dangerous if not catastrophic.

I do not support the hostile take-over of the West Bank by right wing political or religiously orthodox extremists.

I certainly recognize Israel as one of the United States strongest allies and support a democratic Israel. Having said that if Benji is able to pass his own version of the "enabling act's" making him an untouchable dictator my enthusiasm for Israel will take a big hit.

8. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Israel is a strong alley and a democracy in an area where democracy struggles. I'll support Israel over other countries in the region. But I'm not Israeli, and Jews, in general, aren't single-issue voters. If a politician is pro-Israel but on the other side of the political spectrum on all other issues, he/she is not going to get my support. I'll take what I believe is the best for the USA, my country, over what is best for Israel every day of the week.

• Like Like x 1
  9. wgbgator

A lot of Israelis have contempt for "diaspora" Jews who don't really identify with Israel (but I think this is largely a recent development given the rise of the Israeli far-right and the collapse of the Israeli left). I think for many Israelis now, being Israeli is synonymous with being Jewish (that's the whole point of their heel turn towards a right-wing ethno-nationalist state), for Jews outside Israel, not so much. Particularly in places like the USA, which have allowed a vibrant and distinctly American Jewish culture to flourish.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Traitor!

11. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I own it. I am disloyal to Trump. He's right. As a Jew, I have no interest in supporting a man who courts Nazis.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I don’t even get the Jewish/pro Israel thing. A Jewish friend of mine thinks Israel is the second worst thing to happen to Jews & he’s not alone

13. wgbgator

I had some clients move to Israel a few years back because they got into the right of return thing, they didn't last there more than 6 months. They barely knew Hebrew, and its a completely different culture from here. Its almost like its another country! In reality, most American Jews have almost no connection to Israel! For the ones that do, its mostly an imagined one that probably wont stand up to reality if they ever went.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Benji needs to go, I used to really like him but
    apparently he sniffs Trumps dirty underwear now and anyone that wants to "be like Trump" will quickly disappear from my sphere of support.

For absolute clarification I am pro Israel and have a passing interest in Jewish religion. Not that I subscribe to it but it is interesting.

I find the "Jewish" - "waiting for the Messiah's return" much more comforting than the Christian's version with the trumpet blowing and Jesus cutting off heads / blood flowing up to the horse's mane theme. A little too over the top for my tastes.

No hell in the Jewish version either (if I understand it correctly).

But I digress, bottom line is the President has a lot of gall to say what he did but not unexpected. I think most of us are on to the Presidents schtick - Say anything, particularly
    lies or personal assaults. Guy wants to be in the news cycle, all day, every day. His ego has no limits. I wish the more progressive news outlets would just pass on his B.S., they play right into his hands. I think the best way to get under his skin is just to ignore him.

• Winner Winner x 1