Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump and the US/Mex/Can World Cup Bid

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by AzCatFan, May 1, 2018.

1. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The US, Canada, and Mexico are putting together a joint World Cup bid for 2026. Originally thought as a no-brainer, recently Morocco decided to put together a bid. And since then, our President can't stop putting his foot in his mouth about the bid.

First, Trump stated all our NATO allies better vote for the US, which caused FIFA (the international soccer governing body) to warn Trump, since FIFA's laws dictate no politics when it comes to deciding things like World Cup locations. Although not always successful, FIFA has always attempted to be a non-political body, which has allowed for games like the US to play Iran at a World Cup without incident.

Recently, Trump met with Nigerian Prime Minister Buhari and said something to the effect that African nations should support the US joint bid, and if they don't, Trump will take notice of which countries did not support us. So far, everything Trump is doing is hurting the bid.

You may not care about soccer or the World Cup, but it's a huge economic boon, especially for the US where infrastructure like stadiums and hotels are already built and ready to host. The US stands to lose billions in tourist money.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Are cities starting to see World Cup hosting duties as a poisoned chalice?

Tell FIFA to go take a hike...

Why countries that fight to host the World Cup are wasting their time

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    Fifa may be the sleaziest most corrupt organization in the World. Their complaining about Trump trying to get it here thru threats is funny. The approved way to get the world cup is to pay money to the members.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. dynogator

dynogator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Someone should have one of the Friends on Fox read Trump the articles, maybe he'd lay off the strongman tactics.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Exactly. Saying that we don't want the World Cup is hardly a defense for Trump breaking the rules and threatening other countries in order to get the World Cup.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    I guess one advantage to hosting would mean that we qualify.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. dynogator

Apr 9, 2007
    Was the World Cup in Orlando in the late '90's? I seem to remember a lot of soccer teams at Disney World when we were there for a family reunion sometime around 1994?

8. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    For countries without the infrastructure, the cost of hosting a World Cup is often a negative. Countries need to build large stadiums and then, if they don't use them much after the WC leaves, the cost of maintaining large stadiums are prohibitive. But in countries that already have the infrastructure, like Germany or the US, World Cups can be a boon. In 1994, the US made over $60 million in ticket sales and sponsorships, and all WC games were played in NFL stadiums that already existed and had planned to host at least 10 NFL games the following season (2 pre-season and 8 regular season games). And this doesn't include the benefit the individual host cities enjoyed.

And yes, FIFA is corrupt, even after the recent raids and clean-up. But that doesn't mean Trump shouldn't abide by the rules.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The US only hosted the WC once, in 1994.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. cjgator76

cjgator76 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Trump and FIFA are birds of a feather.

Couple that with a chance to achieve a "win" by landing a yuge event, and it's not surprising that Trump is twisting arms.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    For the record, I don't want my comments to be misconstrued for "defending Trump" - I'm just interested in the sports/economics element of this. Whether Trump wants or doesn't want the World Cup doesn't matter to me.

Az, I think this time around is that FIFA has gotten more demanding; if it were a no-brainer, why would Chicago back out like they have? And Vancouver? It won't impact me directly, heck, as a fan, it would be kind of cool to have the option to go to nearby World Cup games. I was just posting based on reasons it might not be as glamorous as some think.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Hot take:

In terms of actual sporting infrastructure there's really not a reason for it to ever be anywhere else.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dynogator

Apr 9, 2007
    Thank you. According to Wiki, the Cup was played in 9 US cities, including Orlando, so I was right. The park was crowded, but the athletes all seemed to having a very good time at Disney.

14. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    May be slightly off-topic, but thanks to the efforts of Christopher Steele, the former British MI6 agent currently demonized by Trump's acolytes, the FBI was able to successfully prosecute a number of top FIFA officials for corruption.
    The British spy behind the Trump dossier helped the FBI bust FIFA
    The man behind the dossier is a former British spy, Christopher Steele, who is now a corporate intelligence consultant. In 2010, Steele helped deliver information about FIFA to the FBI that eventually led to indictments of many current and former officials of the soccer governing body, as well as the ouster of longtime FIFA president Sepp Blatter.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  15. FatherGoat

FatherGoat Premium Member

Apr 18, 2007
    The best thing about hosting is the auto-qualifying for host teams. We are kind of average at best in the sport...so that's a plus.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    We had qualified for every World Cup between 1990 and 2014. And we had no business not qualifying for this WC. All we needed was a tie against last place Trinidad and Tobago and we're going to Russia. But Bruce Arena (coach) made a huge tactical error, didn't play his best defensive line-up, and we gave up two stupid goals early and could only get one back. The good news is we have a bunch of younger players, lead by Christian Pulisic, that are a big improvement over the crop of crap that failed at T&T.

As for Trump, he should keep his mouth shut except for saying the US, Mexico, and Canada would love to host, we're ready to host, and there are several cities in all three countries that want to host. Leave the politics out of it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    The US hosted one in the 90s it was close to the Olympics. I remember Atlantas bid said it would be a good practice run for the olympics. Atlanta was immediately dropped from consideration.

18. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The 1994 host cities were Orlando, Dallas, Pasadena (LA), Palo Alto, Chicago, Pontiac (Detroit), Foxborough, East Rutherford (NY), and D.C. Chicago might be out, but Minneapolis will have a new stadium done soon, and Seattle has become a soccer city in the last decade. Phoenix now has a dome stadium with natural grass, and Miami and Atlanta are under consideration as well. And that's just in the US. There will also be games in Mexico City and maybe Gaudalajara, plus Quebec and Toronto. All have stadiums that currently hold 50,000+ and plenty of hotel space to accommodate an influx of fans.

19. dynogator

Apr 9, 2007
    Hard to imagine Morocco could beat this embarrassment of riches. No need for Trump's threats, our facilities speak for themselves.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Miami would get games if the WX is awarded to the US. Ross’ International Cup Series, the design of the stadium, Ross’ ownership of the stadium, and the availability of hotel rooms make it a no brainer choice.