Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump Admin to Release Migrant Families with Ankle Monitors

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator_lawyer, Jul 10, 2018.

1. BigCroc

BigCroc Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    To be fair, you have to recognize there is a difference between you having to be separated from your children as an active duty serviceman - when your kids are left in the care of your spouse or other loved ones - and a child being "taken for a bath" and not returned to a parent where the child and parent don't know where each other are or whether they will ever be able to be reunited. There is a HUGE difference between the two situations.

It's unfortunate that those who serve our country may have to be separated from their children and other loved ones for long periods of time. It's unfortunate that merchant marines, long haul truck drivers and many others are required by their chosen profession to spend significant time away from their families. But if we're being honest there is absolutely no comparison between those separations and the ones the asylum seekers and illegal border crossers faced.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Its about 20 days dude. And we don't have proof these are even their kids until they are vetted.

I guess we should just leave those kids in the custody of their rapists because heaven forbid we assume they are ALL with their parents when we know for a stone cold fact that "handlers" are bringing kids here.

If you are a responsible parent, you don't immigrate to a country this way. If that fails, at least tell your kids that you will be separated from them for a few days while "mommy and daddy" work to get us into the country.

You libs kill me. Completely ignore the parental failures of these criminals and blame all this on our country. Here is a great idea. You come here illegally, we will keep you all together as we ship your ass back across the border.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. mutz87

mutz87 Ain't me VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Meaning your dismissing the negative effects of separation suggests a willful ignorance

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Seems the *libs* have a much better handle on this issue than you do.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bushmaster

Apr 9, 2007
    Walking thru a Mexican desert getting raped every day seems a little harsher than being put in a facility where food, clothing, shelter, and medical care is given free of charge.

Your faux outrage is noted.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  6. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Risking their lives walking through the desert is a pretty powerful indication of just how desperate these folks are. Separating children from parents makes their predicament even worse. That you can be so indifferent and ill-informed about what this means on a human psychological level is baffling to me, so much so it seems that this is a willful choice, or maybe it isn't. Maybe you can't comprehend it.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. Bushmaster

Apr 9, 2007
    If I walked thru the desert for untold number of miles and subjected my kids to this type of treatment, the Department of Social Services would remove my kids from custody and all you libs would cheer it on.

Add to that some of these "parents" put their children in the custody of sex trafficers who claim these kids as theirs, your process would be to keep the kids with the sex traffickers.

What the hell is wrong with you people?

8. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    No one has argued that children shouldn't be separated from sex-traffickers or for anything that would limit the ability of govt from separating children from such people. In other words, it's a baseless allegation.

If you were in a desperate situation, no one in their right mind, "libs" or otherwise, would cheer that on or would have DSS come after you.

That you continue to insert yourself into the situation, however, is telling.

Petulant question

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    First, thank you for your service.

There is a big difference between your service in the reserves and immigrants walking hundreds, if not thousands of miles in search of a better life only to be put in jail, separated from their kids, and have a completely uncertain future. Your reserve status is a job, and your travel is planned. You can prepare your children when you will be gone and when you can be expected to be back home. It's not unlike any other business travel and I have a conference I go to every year in early March in Vegas that sees me gone for a week. It's certainly not easy on my wife or kids, but I'd never compare my business travel with what immigrants are going through.

Talking about what the immigrants are going through, ever move with a young child? That alone is traumatic. Ever travelled somewhere far away with zero expectations of what will happen when you arrive? How about moving to a foreign country? All these things are traumatic and I assume so far away from your family experience, which I presume to be stable, that you just can't compare the two.

Furthermore, where's your empathy for these families? My Grandfather used to tell the story before he passed away of walking from Hungary as a 9/10 year old, carrying his little brother on his back, all the way to the Netherlands back in the early 1900s. Hopped on a boat to England, walked to the other coast, then hopped on a boat headed for New York. What's the difference between this story and the stories coming out of Central America today? And what makes me worthy now of being an American citizen while telling other desperate people sorry, no room for you? And can you really imagine the horror of once you do finally get here with your kids, having to be separated from them? Excuse the vulgar language (fair warning if you listen), but I think Joe Rogan says it well.

Last, I too want to make this a country worth serving. We just have different ideas about what to do with illegal immigrants. I happen to think given our history of immigration, the fact that there are 8 million illegals in our workforce at a time of low unemployment, and the fiscal success of DREAMers, the best course of action is a Gang of 8 style plan. This difference in opinion doesn't make me any less American, nor does it mean I don't want what is best for our country.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information Under budget & ahead of schedule Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Mar-A-Lago
    Oh, the horror.

11. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I suspect that if you were around in 1938 and 1939 you would have been among the majority of the respondents in these polls.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Minister_of_Information

Apr 3, 2007
    Mar-A-Lago
    Did you just call me a Nazi?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Actually, I suggested that you are somewhat similar to Americans of the late 1930s who rejected the admission of European refugees to the US. The respondents to the three polls were all Americans.

14. Minister_of_Information

Apr 3, 2007
    Mar-A-Lago
    I think you called me a Nazi. Or something.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Just suggested that you are representative of those Americans who are not welcoming of refugees (you are by no means alone) and that the attitude is not dissimilar to that of the late 1930s. I do not think that immigrants from Central American countries should get a free pass but I do think that they should be entitled to have their requests for asylum heard and a that a well founded fear of murder by criminal gangs run amok is just as valid as fear from a repressive government.

16. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Sorry, but you are too smart not to see what VA meant, especially after he responded to you by explaining it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Families have been going through hardships forever seeking a better life. Whether it was on a boat from Europe or a raft from Cuba. The trek west had to be very difficult with lives lost along the way. Settling the Great Plains wasn't easy.
    Even today, we have refugee camps in Africa and Asia and people are dying on their way there.
    Parents have been making difficult decisions about what to put their children through in the search of a better life ever since man arrived on this planet.
    Your comparison to taking your kids out to the desert for the fun of it has nothing to do with this conversation.
    They are seeking a better life for their families.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  18. Minister_of_Information

Apr 3, 2007
    Mar-A-Lago
    What did he mean then? That I'm a Nazi enabler who personally turned away Anne Frank in a past life?

19. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Again, you are too smart not to understand what he meant. He compared your attitude to that of Americans who did not want Jewish and other refugees here, despite their dire situation. Pretty straight forward statement he made, though certainly critical of what he perceives as your attitude.

20. Minister_of_Information

Apr 3, 2007
    Mar-A-Lago
    See? I told you he called me a Nazi.