Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump Admin to Release Migrant Families with Ankle Monitors

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator_lawyer, Jul 10, 2018.

1. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    If they are like some of my old cases they will just cut that stuff off and skip their court date.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    It does seem like a reasonable solution.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  5. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Perfect. Everyone happy now?
    ...Or is the right still the party of "kidnappers" and "hostage takers"?

I disagreed with the previous policy and like this alternative...but the hyperbole from some on the left was a bit ridiculous.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. tilly

...i would add that this should be a zero tolerance policy. Cut it off...go to jail. Period. At that point the parent chose to separate from their children.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    I am good with this. Removing the ankle monitor should permanently remove the possibility of participating in normal society.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. mutz87

mutz87 Ain't me VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Hyperbole about splitting up families? Sorry but no. Seems to me there was a deafening silence among many so called family value types.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. tilly

The hyperbole is when it is called "kidnapping" and "hostage taking" as it was on here recently.
    I was against the policy of splitting up families, but it was legal and far from the definition that a normal society knows as "kidnapping" or "hostage taking".

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatornana

gatornana Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It doesn't matter what it's called......about 3,000 children have been forcefully separated from their parents regardless if they crossed the border illegally or were legally seeking asylum and now are encountering difficulties being reunited because there's no paper trail connecting these children to their parents.

Judge demands Trump administration meet deadline to reunify dozens of migrant children

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. tilly

Agree. And have said so. Doesn't make the ridiculous hyperbole not be ridiculous.

13. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Even if the hyperbole was the over the top, Trump's policy of forcibly separating children from their parents is indefensible as is the Administration's failure to reunite the children with their parents pursuant to the court order.

Although it's off-topic, the hyperbole isn't any more extreme than referring to the termination of a pregnancy early in the first trimester when the fetus is roughly the size of a kidney bean as the murder of a child.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Yes, it was legal, but it did have the characteristics of kidnapping and hostage-taking. It's hyperbole to some degree, but there's an element of truth there. For example, let's say you live in Syria, Tilly. If Assad takes your child and holds him to make sure you don't join the rebels, that might be legal, but wouldn't you also feel it's kidnapping and hostage-taking?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. tilly

FTR. I have literally never referred to abortion as murder.
    I have always said that a scared 16 year old girls is not a murderer.

16. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I didn’t engage in this hyperbole, but there were reports of kids being taken to “get a bath” and never returned. Pretty heartbreaking.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. tilly

yeah. No excuse for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. steveGator52

steveGator52 Senior

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    Are the illegal immigrants going to be charged with the cost of monitoring the ankle bracelets and checking in? Or is it an additional cost to be footed by US tax payers?

When you go on parole with ankle monitors, some states have the parolee pay for the monitoring costs(South Carolina for certain.). So not only do they not have to pay to incarcerate you, they get to charge you for the privilege of not having to pay to incarcerate you.

In my opinion, if it is good enough for US citizens, it is good enough for illegal immigrants. You want to be free while awaiting your day in court, you pay. If you cut the ankle bracelet or violate the terms of release, you should be gone. I know it is simplistic, but wrong is wrong, and two wrongs, or a right and a wrong, do not make a right.

19. mutz87

mutz87 Ain't me VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Basically was kidnapping. Heck, they separated a 6-month old baby from the mother. Kind of hard to overstate the callous cruelty of it.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1