Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump’s wild popularity overseas is one of media’s best kept secrets Read more: https://www.american

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flgator2, Feb 11, 2019.

1. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    If you claim there are videos, it's always a good idea to post one to make your point.
    Tho if it's four guys chanting, I'm not sure it means there's a huge groundswell.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Oh, of course they were. Videos in which French protesters chanted in English that they wanted Trump were all quickly pulled from every place on the Internet but "they" who pulled them left up copies of the English videos.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015

He is a wretched human being as was Hillary but I remain unsure of how his unconventional foreign policy will work out. I am guardedly optimistic.

4. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    French chanters or hoax, I say we take a chance and give them what they "want."

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Did someone say Italy is a nutjob of a country.

I'll take it! :emoji_guitar::emoji_drum::emoji_microphone::emoji_bicyclist::emoji_soccer:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    North Carolina
    Your basic assertion, even if correct, would prove the opposite of what you think it does, namely, that America isn't the only country with wildly stupid people.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2019
  7. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    One of the coolest things to happen in the past decade.

8. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I never get tired of seeing that video.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I believe intimigator was saying from another country... he hasn't met anyone from another country who likes Trump.

I met one Canadian who liked Trump. I met one guy from Britain who was about as anti-Trump as a person can be, but noted Trump does have a following there among the Brexit folks (as most of us are aware I'm sure).

I have met lots of people from Canada, Europe and various Caribbean countries who are very anti-Trump. Anecdotally, I'd say travelers to the US from other countries are well over 90% against Trump. Travelers in general are more progressive than the average population, though.

Certainly not too surprising that among travelers from other countries someone may have not met any Trump supporters.

• Like Like x 1
  10. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    OOC, how many Americans do you remain in contact with? Is the sample primarily from folks where you live and like minded American friends?

11. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Lol! I know 4 Americans here. A few Aussies, Brits, Polish, Russian, German, Italian, Chilean, India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Thailand, Vietnam, Nepal, Cambodia, Phillipines, Malaysia...probably missing many more. Oh and hundreds of Maldivians and I watch CNN.

Proof enough? :)

12. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Didn't have to prove anything to me. Just curious.

Nice mix there. I take it the Russian isn't a Putin fan.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    I know. Have always respected your posts. I took your question just as you asked it. You know what's funny is that Russians never talk politics. Indians and Maldivians do though. Brits do. Canadians not so much. Asians never..unless it involves their own government.
    I would say the most vocal are Maldivians and India next.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Premium Member

Trump was given his state visit - as most major foreign dignitaries get without question. It was the only time in my life I recall there being any debate about whether it should happen or not. Accordingly he was kept away from London quite strategically. His next visit won't - I think you'll get a better flavour then.

There was a big row about whether that should be allowed. But it was granted in the end (a similar one was done for the Mayor of London) - it's much more representative of the general feeling over here. I think some see him as ballsy, which they like. Many think he's intellectually a few books short of a library. Most are pretty stunned at the tone of his presidency - I count myself in that group. Seems very 'unpresidential' - the 'grab them by' ... thing, I personally wouldn't accept out of anyone in my life, let alone the leader of the free world.

No idea on the French and German duo but May's is kind of unusual. She and her Government have been totally inept during the Brexit farce. But there is absolutely no credible opposition in this country right now. Jeremy Corbyn is a lunatic - I absolutely couldn't vote for Labour if he was in power. In fact, I believe the polls suggested today that the Tory's would (somehow!) win a majority if an election was called now. Utterly unreal, really. Their track record has been appalling. Our nation's politics is in the dustbin.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I can tell you after looking it up Macron is at a whopping 24% up from a modern historic low of 20%. I'm not a fan at all of how "unpresidential" Trump acts. At times I do wonder why I voted for him. Then I realize I'll take "grab them by the junk" over an open boarder policy all day. It's really a lot more harmless than the resident lefties believe. Our neighbors over seas in Europe have some major problems is all I was saying. I'm surprised their common citizens are concerned at all what's happening over here.

• Like Like x 1
  16. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    "Open boarder policy?"..so that is what Trump is against? Give it to him! I think we can all agree that a "closed boarder policy" is no problem.
    All this time I thought he wanted a closed border! What a dork! Of course he didn't mean border! That would be ridiculous!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Solid contribution.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

Someone needs to point it out. I don't understand how people keep misspelling 'borders.' 'Boarders' doesn't even look correct. :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    I suggest reading the article before you post it..

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Premium Member

Interesting comment. I can't help but wonder whether the world's foremost democratic nation, with over 300 million citizens, should have to accept any compromise - let alone that one - in its politics?

Therein lies my biggest problem - I struggle to convince myself that what I see of Donald Trump can be the 'best' conservative-valued politician that the USA has to offer itself or the wider free world, especially with some of the awful things he's said and reportedly done. It's lowering the bar for all politicians, including our own. Populism is a truly effective but regressive method of politics. Say what people want to hear regardless of truth or intent to deliver. Frankly, I think we all deserve better standards from elected officials in a democratic nation - on the left and the right.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1