Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump’s support continues to fall

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Dec 13, 2022.

1. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Reiterating what another poster said a couple of months ago with a slight modification, the best thing for the GOP would be for Trump to join Ivana at the golf course in Bedminster. If Trump doesn't get the Republican nomination in 2024 he will do whatever is necessary to defeat the nominee, most likely Ron DeSantis at this point. Trump's narcissistic personality disorder is so extreme that he will never accept defeat. The only way that he will endorse the party's nominee and that's becoming less and less likely would be in exchange for the promise of a blanket pardon. Trump will once again resurrect the narrative that he was denied the nomination as the result of voter fraud and enough of his supporters who worship him like a deity will vote for him as a third party candidate, cast their vote for another third party candidate or just end up staying home rather than voting for the candidate who stole the nomination/election from their orange Messiah.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
  2. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Better late than never. Please for the love of god eradicate the pest.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    Good point. Truth is that most people (myself included) have made many wrong predictions about Trump. I'm a little gun-shy to be in the prediction game at this point but don't expect that to stop me, lol. IMO, two "known unknowns" right now are how viscous Trump is willing to get in a primary and whether we might see another crowded GOP field or at least guys like Cruz and DeSantis splitting up significant votes.

4. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    And just think of all the stupid shit he'll say in the next two years.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Raising another question, how many voters voted against Hillary Clinton in 2016 rather than voting for Trump?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Agreed. I do believe it will be tougher for Trump than in 2016 because he probably cant just show up and win, so I think it mostly depends on how much he wants it. Trump's been pretty low energy and lazy recently, so his heart might not be in it. Effort and hard work has never really been his thing. On the other hand, most Republicans barely know DeSantis unless they are Fox News/conservative media junkies. He doesn't exactly light up the TV with his charisma, and the party elite who voters hate will be mostly in the tank for him, something Trump can exploit if he's up to it. Polls mean little at this point, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    You've been saying this for longer than it's been true. Repubs are finally moving on from Trump because of the midterms disaster. And let's not pretend like Trump is totally done. Until he announces that he's changed his mind, and he's not running in 2024, he will still be the first choice for an embarrassingly large percentage of Republican voters.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    The crazed hatred of Trump, from the left, is predicated on 10% his policy as president and 90% he ‘stole’ their birthright in 2016 AND because he clapped back when they raged at him.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Especially the last sentence. This is from December 2014.
    CNN/ORC Poll: Bush surges to 2016 GOP frontrunner | CNN Politics
    And this is from January 2015
    Scott Walker leads tight GOP pack in new Iowa Poll

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    The vast majority of Trump's actual "polices" probably wouldn't have been much different than if Ted Cruz or DeSantis had been in office. I think their SCOTUS nominees would have been basically the same but they probably would have picked more qualified people to be around them generally. Also, it's easy to forget how many Republicans/conservatives disliked Trump and said abnormally horrible things about him before it was clear he was going to win the nomination. That wasn't just typical partisan bickering. IMO, it's not that the left has become crazed but that Republicans fell in line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Trump is a big germaphobe, he's deathly afraid of viruses you know

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Actually a lot of the lefties who hate Trump were supporters of Bernie Sanders who think that Hillary Clinton and the DNC stole the Democratic nomination from their guy.

• Like Like x 1
  13. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
  14. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    DeSantis is actually probably more conservative than Trump. But he’s also a relatively rational actor comparatively who,
    To date, hasn’t been hell bent on destroying democracy, which makes him the automatic better choice. Policies can be overturned, faith in or the stability of our democratic pillars aren’t as easily restored.

15. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Land o' Lakes, FL
    More than both Trump and Clinton are still willing to admit.

16. thomadm

thomadm VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Don't really care either way. Just wish we could do away with the presidency all together or split the executive like Congress. The executive has become too powerful IMHO.

17. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I think conservative courts would be much more willing to go out on a limb in embracing creative legal theories in a contested election for Desantis vs. Trump. Not to mention the A team would gladly work for DeSantis in such a scenario where Trump had to scrape the barrel with the Rudys of the world.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Its always been true. The creek is just turning into a river.

19. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Does he though? That shine that blinded so many to who he really is has eroded. I think the vast majority of people just want him to go away, and have stopped listening to him. I believe he doesn’t even make it to the first debate.

20. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    But by the end of the 2022 election cycle, the poor GOP showing, particular with his “blessed” candidates, showed that he was toast. He lost the power brokers and big money, which so far has moved en mass to DeSantis.