Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trey Dean back to cornerback

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by oneatatime, Nov 12, 2019.

1. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Looks like he's moving back to corner, where he was solid last year.

At least at this point in his career, Star didn't seem to work for him.

Wonder if Wilson will move to Star next season, with the 3 freshman DB and Dean competing at corner, unless someone is moved to safety.

2. cudagator

cudagator Sophomore

Feb 22, 2017
    The Star has to be able to tackle ex. Chauncey in his final year. Not seeing that in Wilson this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I don’t see a true star on our team but comprehending the coverages is better than nothing.

4. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    Burney, perhaps?

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Not sure whether the plan is for Burney to move to Star or to replace Reese as an ILB. If only he could stay healthy. Cox of course will be a factor at linebacker.

Taylor is the only safety graduating, so as some speculates, Dean moves to safety or perhaps Elam, Hill or Kimbrough is given a shot at Star, especially if Dean moves permanently back to corner

• Like Like x 1
  6. awells05

awells05 Junior

Apr 23, 2009
    Vero Beach, Florida
    What about little David Reese, is he too big?

7. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Really missing Huggins at Star. Burney played ok there, but he may be better at Money. Marco at least knows where to be at Star. His tackling is hit or miss at times for whatever reason.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    I meant for the rest of this year. I was thinking about Elam at star too, but I wonder if he's big enough. It seems to me UF would want a player to weigh at least 200 lbs. at the star position. If Burney is quick enough to defend slot receivers he'd be fantastic at star, but then UF will need an inside LB who's good at pass coverage and I haven't really seen anyone besides Burney at inside LB who's been a good pass defender this year, at least anyone who's healthy.

9. ShadowCat

ShadowCat All American

Jan 6, 2015
    Dean to the bench, not CB starter... Guess good for CB depth though if he doesn't pull a "transfer portal" move. He is good enough to get a starter CB next year though when Henderson leaves unless they move Wilson back to CB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Dean may be behind Elam for playing time at corner. Elam looks like the real deal to me.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    Dean should be playing safety. Star is a really tough position to find a good fit for. I mean you’re looking for a good shifty cornerback who can play linebacker.

If we moved to a traditional nickel then I’d love Kimbrough there. Otherwise the best hope is successfully recruiting Avante Williams.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I don't buy the talk of Dean being able to be a reliable CB. He was picked on all last year, and I cannot remember a single defended pass by him where he was able to turn his head and identify the ball while running stride for stride with the receiver, and his hands were usually not where they were supposed to be on the receiver, resulting in a lot of PI calls on him. Elam has passed him at CB, and I don't see a lot of snaps for Dean at CB. However, if he can't anticipate, judge angles and wrap up, I don't know what other position he can play either. I don't know if he has lost confidence or his head is swimming or what his issues are.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  13. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We are officially not DBU. Is it wrong to ask why we have this problem identifying the right players for our secondary? Is it wrong for me to put it in our DC to fix? Yes, that means we personally recruiting kids and not missing.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    While he certainly wasn't our best option, he did okay as a T Freshman thrown to the wolves after Marco got hurt. I think you may be thinking of McWilliams who played some along with Dean while CJ was out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. 1329gator

1329gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Well we had the right kids on campus and they left. Huggins and Steele although freshmen would've been the answer to many problems on this defense but they're not here anymore and we're left w/ a gaping hole. I've said all year the guy to play star isnt on campus yet and right now we're just trying to put round pegs in square holes just to get by.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    He’s grown more. He’s probably still good at coverage for a linebacker, but definitely a linebacker first. Getting him back might allow Burney to move back to star.

I doubt Grantham would do it, but if we don’t have the players to excel at star maybe it’s time to just use a nickel cb for pass first teams and a fourth linebacker for run first teams. Much easier to recruit that than finding a safety who cover like a small cornerback and tackle like a linebacker.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

True...depth has beenn a problem.....
    but I think that Mullen's doing morer than just getting by.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Dean was way better at CB, that's where he needs to be

19. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    He was often out of position UGa torched him last year.

20. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    No, both of them got picked on mercilessly last year. Yes, McWilliams was probably worse but the only play that I saw Dean make on the ball was to judge the eyes of the receiver and swat, which works some times. We are in a much better situation this year with Elam/Hill/Kimbrough that we do not have to depend on Dean at CB.