Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trent Brown to sign with Raiders

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by swoosh69, Mar 11, 2019.

1. swoosh69

swoosh69 All American

May 15, 2007
    Former Gator Trent Brown "intends to sign a four-year, $66 million contract that includes $36.75 million guaranteed with the Oakland Raiders, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The $16.5 million average annual value of the deal is the highest for an offensive lineman in the NFL."

Sources: LT Brown to leave Pats for Raiders

Pretty good for a guy once thought to be a BIG project.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Gators getting paid.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Congrats to Trent. Glad all his efforts are paying dividends. Pats OL coach is the “best” in the business. Bill convinced him to come out of retirement a few years back to fix their OL. Trent was fortunate to learn from him while with Pats. Read a few DEs say Trent was the hardest to go against die to his size, weight and reach

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Legend

Sep 4, 2017
    Imagine how it feels to be big Trent. Came here as a overweight Juco who wasn't a starter full time and now is the hightest paid OL (as of now) in league history.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Another example of the incompetence of the coaching at UF between 2009 and 2017. We had two solid OLs during those years (2009, 2012), and never a good one. Yet, it seems like 80% of the O Linemen from that era ended up playing in the league - many became starters, even part-time starters at UF like Trent Brown and Jon Harrison.

I'm really happy for Trent, and proud of him, but shouldn't he have been better when he was here? You could ask that question about every OL that played for us over that ridiculous 9-year period. The hefty paychecks that the OL coaches and OCs cashed during those years were highway robbery. The PE teachers that we had as HCs over those years have already been discussed.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Congratulations to Trent... wish him nothing but the best in life.

We have some Gators getting ready to get paid from this year's group of players too. And that includes another big O-lineman.

More high school kids need to pay attention to the Gators, we're making millionaires out of our O-lineman.

Eat that Bama!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Psycho Mod and Cook Shack Chef Moderator VIP Member

Man... Who could ever fotget the Pouncey twins??

Great O-Linemen for the Gators, and $$$ in the NFL!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I know, right. It seems that the best O-lineman across the nation and our state are NOT getting the message that the Gators are putting our "big-ulies" in the league, and they're getting paid well too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. biggynugs

biggynugs All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, fl
    Totally unrelated, but when was the last time any of you actually met a Trent in real life. Trenton Finch in 1st grade was the only one I ever knew. In retrospect, with a name like that, I think he probably should have run for senate.

10. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Legend

Sep 4, 2017
    Xavier Nixon has started in the NFL even after being poorly developed, Halapio, Harrison, Chaz Green, DJ Humprhries (needed the combine to show off how talented he is cause he never showed it at UF), Trent Brown, Ivey, Fred Johnson, Jawaan Taylor, etc. Muschamp and Mac were POOR developers of talent. I can't recall ANY offensive player under them that improved during their time at UF. Only ones i can possibly think of is Demarcus and Antonio

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  11. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I'm a little ashamed to say I didn't remember this guy as a Gator. The Wikipedia entry of his UF career explains why I don't remember him that well...

Florida
    Brown eventually chose to continue his college career at the University of Florida, signing a National Letter of Intent in December 2012 and enrolling in May 2013.[6] Standing at 6-foot-8 and weighing 363 pounds, Brown was the Gators biggest offensive lineman since Max Starks, who played for the team in 2003[7] and is believed to be the biggest player to ever wear a Florida Gators uniform.[8] At the beginning of his first year at Florida, Brown was used mainly on field goals and "Jumbo" packages in short yardage situations. He took over the starting tackle job in the Georgia game after Tyler Moore was injured and lost for the year. Brown moved to starting guard at the beginning of the 2014 season.

So he didn't play much until the 13 UGA game. And this was in the midst of the 4-8 season.
    He did play WM's last year-2014- when we went to the very prestigious Birmingham Bowl. (And won!)
    How could I forget that?

12. awells05

awells05 Junior

Apr 23, 2009
    Ft. Pierce, Florida
    Well part of that is that he was only here 2 years. He was a JUCO transfer.

13. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I remembered him because I was so excited when we signed him. He was HUGE, and was thought to be the best JUCO lineman in the country that year. And he probably was in retrospect, but it took him 2/3 of the season to become a starter on a 4-8 team. PE Teachers. Those coaches were PE teachers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sylez_G_Koolaid

Sylez_G_Koolaid GC Hall of Fame

Aug 12, 2011
    Finna go out on a limb and say Jon Gruden way overpaid this guy, because Gruden is terrible at scouting talent.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Legend

Nov 11, 2014
    I believe I heard that he is the largest human being in the NFL, as well.