Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Tre Mann's Final 3

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by tampajack1, May 24, 2018.

1. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Kansas, Tennessee, Florida

• Like Like x 5
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    Tennessee has been feeling pretty confident. Kansas is hard to beat. This will be interesting.

3. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Would be a great pickup. We need to keep players like this in our backyard.

I'll assume the fact we took 3 guards in 2018 probably hurts us slightly, but he looks like a very complete player.

4. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'll take our hurricanes over Kansas' tornadoes. :oops:
    Oklahoma gets both earthquakes & tornadoes.
    At least we have time to evacuate.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida
    I think the only time we ever beat Kansas out for a recruit was Mike Miller......and Roy Williams threw an absolute hissy fit over it and I believe basically accused BD of cheating

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  6. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    KU wanted Chris Walker, I believe, for all the good winning that particular battle did for us.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. harveyj

harveyj Freshman

Mar 27, 2018
    Uh Brad Beal says hi.....but yes, blue blood schools will always be very difficult to beat for UF....

Mann isn't going to pick UF.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

oh yes....forgot that we won in the battle for Beal with Kansas pretty much heads up

9. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

I don't think that battle was ever heads up or a final 3

10. harveyj

harveyj Freshman

Mar 27, 2018
    If the decision was today, it would be Tenn fyi....I don't think he actually commits anytime soon though

11. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I'll bet you 248 Trophy Points that he does.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    The Shai-for-Nembhard switch hurt us here. We went from a guy two years separation to one, and from a kid pretty likely to be a one- or two-year player to one more likely to stay three years or so. We were trending nicely for Mann before that went down.

13. harveyj

harveyj Freshman

Mar 27, 2018
    Yes and no. Tre himself and especially his mom, have always had high interest in UF. However, the handler calling the shots, the same one who got him illegally from Gainesville to Villages Charter, has his own agenda and looking for the best deal. Unless he magically gets out of the picture, it won't be UF. At least Nembhard and he have games that would work together beautifully, at KU he and Dotson would both be ball dominant scoring PG, not a mesh at all. Tenn has super favorable depth and Rob Lanier, who the handler is very very tight with

14. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    There really wasn't a "Shai for Nembhard" switch, realistically it was probably a Shai for Okauru switch, since those guys are at least in the same class and that's probably what opened the spot for Okauru to commit. Ironically, since it appears Shai is staying in the draft as a 1 and done anyway, it turns out he didn't even matter for 2018 recruits, let alone for 2019 recruits.

In 2018 we were recruiting Devon Dotson really hard too, 2018 seemed to be between Dotson and Nembhard.

The 2019 the focus should definitely be more on bigs - as it feels like forever since we landed a truly big time power forward or C, but i'm sure we will look to sign at least one guard. At least we aren't shying away from going after big time guards (since we are after Scotty Lewis and Bryan Antoine). We are in "good shape" in the back-court, but you can always look to add a +1 big time player. It's more than a full season away so who knows what happens between now and then.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Kansas is too far away. Mom wants to see him play while in college. Family important to kid. TN or UF as home and away games closer for family to travel and watch games

• Like Like x 1
  16. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Guard, if you're calling Johnson a Guard/Swing, that has been the Gators shortest position for 2 years running, meaning this coming year and last year (2017 - 6 Swings/7 bigs, 2018 6 Swings/6 Bigs assuming Hudson doesn't return - and you only need 2 bigs) so there is certainly room for another Swinger. And we all know just how overly self-confident those people in the SouthEastern Mountains tend to be.

17. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    By the way, Bullis says he doesn’t see Mann choosing Florida. Just passing that info along, take it or leave it.

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I'm not sure what you mean by "swing" players, are you meaning a 3? Because the last 2 years we had Devin Robinson and Jalen Hudson who were both fairly prototypical college basketball 3's (Robinson had such crazy length he was almost a 3/4 combo in college ball). Physically speaking, Johnson seems like he will be right there as a big guard/3 as well.

Mann sounds like he is more of a pure 1/2 guard, but of course we played plenty of 3 or even 4 gaurd lineups. So IMO I agree there is plenty of room for another guard, especially one who can shoot and has solid 6'4 size. But I do think our focus should really be on getting a big. If we go another year without a top big it will eventually catch up to us, even worse than the issues we had this past year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    I’ll leave it. Don’t think it’s happening but not because he says so

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Well, he says it is not because Mann himself wouldn’t choose Florida- but if handler gets paid it will be Kansas. If his handler doesn’t get paid but gets his 2nd choice he pushes Mann to Tennessee due to Lanier. And if Mann picks Florida then it is becaus that is where Mann wants to go and he told his handler to pound sand. Basically his handler will be in Mann’s ear pushing him to Kansas first, then Tennessee.

• Informative Informative x 1