Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Tre Mann Review V2 added notes

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Matherly87, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I went to watch Tre Mann tonight. Here are some game notes. I'll post my own comments next.

Tre Mann leads The Villages past Trinity Catholic

The game was close for much of the first half (it was 29-29 with 3:30 remaining in the second quarter), but soon after, jawing players from each team had to be separated multiple times by officials. Perhaps fueled on by the intensity, The Villages (9-3, 4-1 in District 5-5A) finished the half on a 9-4 run.

Then, with Mann scoring 12 of his 29 points, the Buffalo ran away from the Celtics (9-4, 4-1) in the third, taking a 61-46 lead into the fourth.

And with Mann, Brandon Farmer (20 points, 12 rebounds) and Terry Ivery (16 points, six steals) leading the way, The Villages never let last year’s FHSAA Class 5A state runner-up get closer than 13 the rest of the way.

“It was very important for us to get a win like this,” Mann said.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I met a friend of mine at the game that is a top scout for the State of Florida who has seen Tre Mann 5 times or more in the last year, including The City of Palms, The Villages Holiday Tournament, verses Oak Ridge last year, etc. I will post his recap as soon as he loads it this weekend.

I myself saw a very enjoyable first half that was very close until halftime when the game got chippy in the second quarter. Then The Villages High School (TVHS) took over and went up by 21 in the 4th and won by 13. Tre Mann looked the 6-4 height that 247 has him and still spotting the 2 inch hair. As for Mann he played very consistent in each quarter, never came out. My friend and I had him scoring 31, unlike the write up above.

Mann is a very good ball handler, plays mainly a wing position but takes the PG control at key points in the game. He only had 1 turnover but many good assists in each quarter. He can easily go left or right and use either hand on the drive but is best and strongest with his right. He excels as a shooter and has range comfortably up to 23 feet. He hit something like 6-7 threes on the night and probably made more than half. His shot reminds me of Brett Nelson's with a very soft, short jump shot that usually catches only net. Tre is skinny like Brett and as my scout friend told me, his main weakness is when a quality defender body's up with him, he can get off balance easy, which affects his game. This did not happen much at all tonight. The tight man coverage that Trinity Catholic ran against him was ineffective when he wanted the ball.

Tre did not try to drive the ball very often because his outside shot was so effective. He did have two very nice drives and finishes from the left side going to his right that looked easy for him. Late in the game he drove straight to the basket, tried a 360 spin to his left, put up a soft banking underhand left, that just rolled off the front iron. If it had dropped, it easily would have been the highlight of the night. A very pretty move that just didn't quite go in.

Defensively, Tre was very solid as a lock down defender on who ever he guarded. He was never really challenged. So I can't really speak to how good his defense is but he used very good spacing on D throughout the game and always kept his body in position to keep an eye on the ball and a eye on the defender, a very good trait that I liked to see in a HS kid. Speed wise I would say Tre is average as a guard but on D makes up for any lack with his positioning. TVHS has 2 primary bigs in the game so Tre does not focus on rebounding and as a 6-4 HS kid that is a luxury.

Overall Mann is a very confident player and it shows in how comfortable he looks on the court. A TVHS fan next to me told me how Tre has been that way since 9th grade and has always been a good shooter from distance as a 9th grader. With the Gators I see Tre as a true combo guard that could start or back up either position as a freshman. Nembhard is a better passer/ball handler but Mann is a better shooter/scorer. Nembhard might be a smarter player than Mann but Tre is more athletic and can finish inside. The Gators won't have any drop off at guard no matter who is in next year.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator Premium Member

Mar 5, 2017
    I like Mann's potential more than any in the 2019 class. His versatility as a PG or SG will be very valuable as we're currently struggling to break a press and lack a guard who can take you off the dribble and score in traffic. I have a hard time seeing Locke start over him next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    How about a 3 guard lineup of Nembhard, Mann, Locke, K Johnson, & Payne?

5. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    I'll give Ballard some credit and say that we need him to start at SF next season. Also think Lewis is a contender for that position. Mann should be a guard though, as I see Okauru transferring. Would need someone solid coming off the bench.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    At times next year I'm sure you will see a line up of Nembhard, Locke, Mann, Lewis, and Payne. They may make a bunch of mistakes early but they could break out at any time.

7. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lewis is a star and almost certainly will start and will be the vocal leader of our team. Let’s hope that he doesn’t decide to go to the G League next year.

8. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I doubt it since Klatsky got all this set up for his son to walk on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Lewis can't play PF lol.

10. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Certainly but I don't agree with K Johnson having to play PF either. This idea is simply a 4 guard lineup to see what the best athletes can do on the floor together. Its not that much different than what we are having to do now. Yes Johnson has a wider body and long arms that helps him but he certainly isn't big enough to be banging around on the inside.

11. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    We're kinda stuck with Johnson having to play PF out of necessity like we did Egor. He's got a 40 inch vertical with a very strong body for his age, so he's not that out of his league down there. If he wants to play a lot of minutes here it'd have to be at the PF spot. Very few teams out there that I'd say he couldn't match up well against. Tennessee being one.

12. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
  13. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I hope Mann takes a lot of Nembhard’s minutes. He may not be as good at assists but he can put the ball in the basket when needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    While I believe Nembhard would flourish with better scoring options around him, his weakness shows when we're counting on him to be the one to create and score. That's why Dotson was our first option last year. In this offense, and especially on this team where there isn't a closer, the PG needs to be a scoring threat from anywhere. I think Mann is by far the better option there, so White will face a tough decision next year. Go with the veteran or go with the young talent. White has shown he'll start whoever is performing better.

15. 407king

407king Freshman

Dec 8, 2018
    But isn't that what we're hoping to have, better scoring options? With another confident shooter the floor should open up even more. Kinda like when UF added Barry and D-Rob improved his shooting. The floor opened up even more for Kasey because UF had another shooter besides Allen. And even a kid who sucked at finishing layups for 3 years had a little more space and looked so much better.

I think that's why they'll both play a lot together next year. And if Andrew keeps developing that mid range jumper that Kasey finally got with the shooters we'll have something to work with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    But Kasey was the fastest PG I've seen in a Gator uniform and teams didn't try pressing us with him, it'd end with easy layups. Nembhard can't break a simple press, often conceding that role to Allen. It disrupts the flow of the offense. Nembhard needs work in every area before we just assume he's going to start next year. Mann is a potential 15ppg scorer next year, he's that good. If he can play up to White's infamous practice standard, he'll probably start somewhere whether it's for Locke or Nembhard.

17. 407king

407king Freshman

Dec 8, 2018
    True Kasey was fast, but you could press Kasey for 2 years because he struggled as a finisher, was an average FT shooter and had limited weapons to play with. You would,hear it so often "Kasey was a little out of control there".

So yeah, let's press him and leave Kurtz wide open. Or let's press him and cheat off of Robinson at the 3 point line (25% from 3 and then 34% before hitting 39% as a junior). Or press him and let him make a mistake.

That's why I think you'll see both play together. We need more than 1 ball handler on the floor. It can't just be Mann. Teams will just trap him and then we'll be in the same spot we're in this year, trying to initiate offense with 17-18 seconds left on the clock.

And I don't know who starts next year, will be interesting to see. Just glad we'll have options that are legit threats offensively.

18. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I could be wrong but Nembhard seems to be the apple of White's eye. Appears to me that he gives him a lot more rope than he does the others. Andrew could miss two lay ups and White doesn't say a word to him.
    Of course he doesn't say much to any of them but to play better defense.

19. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Tough choice between Nembhard or Mann. Mann has not proven he can be an assist leader but he can certainly score. Ultimately it probably will come down to the number of turnovers they make verses the points they contribute. I must say, watching the game last Friday, it was good to see Mann step up and take the ball at key points of the game. Mann did have a few nice assists in the game as things got out of reach.

20. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 Senior

Apr 8, 2007
    If they played better defense they’d have several more wins—case in point, Chris Silva. Yes, they could/should score points, but every sport consists of two dimensions