Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Tre Mann Returning????

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by hotelgator, May 30, 2020.

1. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    4 is the best you can do? Lame!

If you are covid positive you might get a pass.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    He has not shown any reason why he should be drafted this year. He needs to hit the weight room and practice on his dribble drive. I'm a fan of his and thought he'd have a breakout freshman year, but it just didn't go down the way we all thought it would. That said, tremendous upside, but he's got to put in the work. His focus should be tearing up the NCAA next year, not the draft this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    That's not unusual for freshmen. The lights come on, the noise gets ramped, and the players are playing for keeps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    No way in hell Tre gets drafted after the year he had. That and he is physically not ready. Unless he hates school and wants to play in the D League, he's returning. I'm sure he's just waiting for NBA feedback first, which was his reason for declaring in the first place. He'll get that feedback - then return. Hope we see a big sophomore jump from him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I am at the point where I would be just as happy or more if Mann doesn’t come back. Part of that is my obvious bias towards Ques Glover, but putting that aside, if Mann doesn’t return, Lewis can get playing time at the 2 and KJ can get playing time at the 3. This could work out perfectly if Duruji turns out to be a star at the 4, and if Ruzhnetsev is a solid player at the 3 from day one, both of which are serious possibilities. And that isn’t even taking into account that we could be surprised by any or all of Klatsky, Lane and Osifo.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Whoa, whoa! Let's not get carried away now. I'm with you 100% that AN was addition by subtraction. Mann coming back, however, would make us legitimately 2 deep at every position with only one freshman (likely Samson) included in that projection. You always say you love depth and playing your bench. Mann makes us 10-deep w/out forcing anyone into action who's not ready. I'd hate to see him go w/out scratching the surface of his talent while he was here. With Mann returning, I see a very talented, experienced, AND balanced roster next season. No excuses for White next year.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. potomacgator

potomacgator All American

Apr 8, 2007
    I see one excuse. We have no proven, consistent center to serve as a rebounder, low post scorer and shot blocker. We are all hoping that Payne can step up and fill that role, but the the jury is still out on him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    I think Payne/Jitoboh should be serviceable at C. Plenty of upside with both these kids. Next year might not be when they put it all together, but incremental improvements from both should suffice. Serviceable at C is enough to be really good, especially if you are loaded at the other 4 spots. There are really strong teams every year that are merely average in the post.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I am not saying it isn’t a close call, but putting aside Glover, I would rather see Appleby, Lewis, Johnson, Duruji and either Jitoboh or Payne as my starting 5. The 2 deep is great, but White didn’t know what to do with the depth he had last season. Mann is likely to be a disruptive force if he comes back and doesn’t start.

10. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    If Tre Mann wants to be here, I'd love to have him back. Even though he had trouble adjusting to D1 basketball, he showed glimpses of being a gifted scorer. I expect a big jump.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  11. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Oh hell yes I want him back. I have a good feeling he'll turn the corner this year. Like GatorPlanet said it was just a matter of adjusting, you could see his skill. Add another year of physical development and he could be really good for us.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. number1

number1 NBN Bracket Master

Oct 9, 2011
    Wow it does seem like it was a Nembhard or Mann type situation. lol

13. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    Agreed. I feel like a lot of Mann's problem was being timid. Confidence will come with working on his strength. I feel like he felt physically intimidated by the D1 athletes. He was defeated before he even tried to make a play, because he was not looking to attack. He started getting somewhat better at it towards the end of the season, though.

14. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    As long as any returning player is on the same page as the coach and players I see no problem. I'm not sure this is possible and isn't going to be a huge distraction.

15. potomacgator

potomacgator All American

Apr 8, 2007
  16. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    One has to wonder if an attractive portal player appeared on the radar would the staff force a decision? I don't begrudge Mann taking a look, but there has to be a threshold

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Hasn’t covid morphed into a less virulent strain? Almost every corona virus virtually disappears over summer, too.

there shouldn’t be any hold ups due to covid.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Tre Mann will be holding a press conference on the Covid shortly.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. number1

number1 NBN Bracket Master

Oct 9, 2011
    I mean if you want to play for Florida, why make the staff wait so long? Work on improving your game with the team and everything will take care of itself in terms of the NBA after next season.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Apparently he is hoping with the NBA opening up their facilities for practice this week that they will loosen things and allow for Mann to have some one-on-one evaluations and feedback. He now has till August to see if he can get feedback from the NBA. The family also feels he needs more minutes to showcase his talent, so could transfer to another program that needs a point guard. Like AN, there is no guarantee of getting a transfer waiver as an undergrad.

• Informative Informative x 2