Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Travel time to Gainesville from Daytona on gameday

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by rush2112, Aug 8, 2022.

1. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    20 in Palatka was always what slowed down that route. They were doing construction to it back then (mid 90s) and I imagine the road now has even more traffic and traffic lights. I enjoyed 26 more but you have to make sure you don't miss the turn at the old post office or you're headed to clay county lol.

2. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Hodad?

3. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Do that drive all the time, easy 2 hour drive. Be sure to take the fam to Cafe Risque in Micanopy, very family friendly place.

4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Do those come in four seat-ers? Lol... Got to have a game-day helicopter just in case...

5. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I prefer the station wagon variety for the crash up derby. You can fit at least 10-12 if you lay a few across the back. I think Richard Petty used to drive one or was that Chevy Chase on NLV.
    [​IMG]

6. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Just to add my two cents since I’ve been on campus twice in the past two weeks. There are 3 or 4 streets that are completely blocked near the stadium and student union areas because of work on new buildings, so just a heads up.

I’ve been parking at one of the parking garages at Shands hospital for years. They are free and hardly ever full so you can arrive late and still find a spot. The only negative is that it is about a ten minute, approximately 1,000 yard walk to the student union. On the positive side is there are several restrooms and a nice gift shop and restaurants inside the union. From the union it is about a five minute walk to the football stadium. After the game you can backtrack to the union and hit the restrooms before your drive home. Getting through traffic is easy since the garages are just off Archer road which is a major thoroughfare in Gainesville.

Last year I was offered an opportunity to purchase a parking pass North of the stadium at JJ Finley. Seemed like it was about 5 or so blocks north of stadium. Much closer for walking but I found myself missing the stops at the student union and traffic on the narrow neighborhood streets after a couple close games was a nightmare.

I agree with the warnings to get to the stadium early, say no later than 45 minutes before kickoff. Last season I got in line at the stadium about 30 minutes before kickoff for one game and actually missed the first couple plays. Scanning of tickets can be improved.

AFCyberGator, Bazza and antny1 like this.
  7. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Really good info. Much rather walk a bit more and get out easy than deal with traffic in the neighborhoods near the stadium. I lived in sw3rd street and never had to deal with parking. I parked at the same house I lived in before and after I went to UF and remember thinking I want no part of the traffic near the stadium.

easycoastgator and GatorLegend like this.
  8. 31g8r

31g8r GC Legend

Oct 20, 2013
    Here is the inside info for walk up access use gates 8,9 in the NE corner of the stadium. It is literally walk right up to the ticket takers/scanners while the SW,W,and NW gates are min 25-30 min wait times.

With the reconfigured breezeways on the West side you can navigate in 10 min all the way to the SW corner

easycoastgator and GatorLegend like this.
  9. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Junior

Oct 3, 2020
    Claygator! Calling you out, right here, right now. Take away the bacon!!!

easycoastgator likes this.