Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Travel time to Gainesville from Daytona on gameday

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by rush2112, Aug 8, 2022.

1. rush2112

rush2112 Recruit

Aug 8, 2022
    Utah fan here looking for a little advice for game day. My family will be staying in Daytona on Friday night and will be driving to Gainesville on Saturday. Normally about a two hour drive, but with game traffic I'm sure it's much more. With a 7:00 kickoff, I'd like to get to campus around 4:30-5:00ish. Can anyone please tell me how long I should plan for to drive from Daytona?

I'm bringing two of my kids (ages 9 and 11) so won't be doing any tailgating, but would also love a recommendation for a local restaurant.

I'm excited to be visiting such an historic stadium and am looking forward to the game. Thanks in advance for you help.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  2. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    What kind of food/atmosphere? Where are you parking for the game?

3. rush2112

rush2112 Recruit

Aug 8, 2022
    Don't know yet about parking - can you give any recommendations?

No food preference, really, but can't do anything too exotic. My kids are picky eaters. Would love something local (so no Chili's or Applebee's or the like) that would have a game time atmosphere.

4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Welcome to the board. We hope you will stick around and chat about football. :)
    I don't think you should expect many traffic issues until you reach Gainesville. That said, Gainesville will be pretty congested, esp. on a game day. Most of the traffic, though, will be coming from the west via I75. Give yourself an extra 30-40 min to make it through traffic and locate parking and you should be good.

Many good restaurants in town, depending upon what you want. There are several good places in the downtown area, which is East of campus and will be on your way coming from the beach. I would avoid Gators Dockside (bad food/bad service) and either eat downtown or find something right there near campus.

• Like Like x 1
  5. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Traffic from there can be a little hit or miss on gamedays, I would add 30 minutes to whatever you expect. Assuming you are staying out on the beach you can spend some time just getting to 95.
    I might suggest parking at Shands and grabbing some food at the food trucks outside the stadium

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator VIP Member

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    Sachels?

• Like Like x 1
  7. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Here’s some park and ride options. The celebration point and oaks mall locations will both have food options. At celebration point, Spurriers is a neat place to check out, but it will likely be loaded with Gator fans. There’s also a dave and busters across the street if you want to do something fun for the kiddos or an ale house. There’s a bass pro there. There’s tons of other options within a mile or two of that location. Couple really nice steak houses, if you’d rather something more upscale. Prime and pearl is in celebration point. Shulas and embers are both close by.

By the mall, it’s mostly chain stuff. Red lobster, bj’s, buffalo wild wings. There’s a big sports bar not too far away called gators dockside. You could eat there and still park and ride from the mall.

Shuttles

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Satch squared is also good. It’s detroit style, over in the 4th ave foodpark thing. Same folks from satchels.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator VIP Member

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    Hmm..hadn’t tried that

10. etennant

etennant VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jacksonville
    My suggestion is you are getting in to Gainesville too late to park, eat and then easily enter the game. This game is sold out and every year between visitors, people who cannot remember how to use their ticket app and other factors the lines to get in can be long (especially the first game). If you want to eat a distance away from Campus the Satchel's Pizza is good (bring cash - no cards), you could also do Ballyhoos which is closer and then you have an easier drive to the closer parking areas. For parking, I would suggest looking at the streets behind Emerson Hall (Google Maps). You will find people selling parking spots for $20-50 (earlier the better).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    I like it. :)

12. 31g8r

31g8r GC Legend

Oct 20, 2013
    If you are coming thru the national forest on SR 40 take hwy 326 and then 301/441 north stay on 441 to Gainesville avoid the interstate too unreliable wrt accidents.

Good advice for Parking in the neighborhoods east of NW 22nd St and north of univ ave they are a 10 min walk to the stadium some have no block exits

you could hit blue hwy pizza in micanopy on the way up. A 2nd for Ballyhoo or Adam’s rib for bbq

safe travels

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  13. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    I grew up in Daytona. My suggestion is to take the country roads through palatka, like 20, rather than going 40 to 75. 1) probably less people will travel this route, but also 2) the roads are quite pretty.

I agree with @apkgator that you might have to add 30 minutes, but no more than that. So maybe 2.5 hrs or less.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the experience. The Swamp is pretty cool I think. And congrats on a great season last year - and really a great program overall. You guys are a great example of a wonderful transition to the big leagues.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    40 to 326 to 441 is the way to go. Personally I'd rather leave earlier and go via us1 to Bunnell then sr100 to Palatka and take a more scenic route through either Interlachen via 20 or take 26 through keystone heights. Regardless it takes between 1:45 minutes to 2 hours. GameDay traffic from daytona doesn't change too much until you get into Gainesville really. If you try to cut it close it will be a pain in the but when you get near Gainesville.

Also as someone who works in Daytona, be careful. Some of the worst drivers anywhere. terrible place.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Lol we wrote this at the same time. 40 is sketchy and there are too many no passing zones with slow drivers. 20 or 26 all the way. I actually miss those drives.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. rush2112

rush2112 Recruit

Aug 8, 2022
    This is the route googlemaps is telling me to take. Thanks to you (and antny1) for these directions. Hopefully it's smooth sailing up until Gainesville.

• Like Like x 2
  17. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Haha nice.

• Like Like x 1
  18. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Senior

Oct 3, 2020
    Your ride to Gainesville shouldn't be excessively long, the ride home will feel like an eternity to you however.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Legend

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    It is good advice. I live about 30 miles from Daytona and if I wasn’t in a rush I would go that way. I hope you have a pleasant visit to Florida.

• Like Like x 1
  20. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Legend

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    i almost posted something like this but thought it wasn’t a friendly thing to say to a guest.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1