Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trask vs. EJ

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by brees2019, Oct 7, 2019.

This isn't a who should start questiob, but more of a when we should insert EJ into the game. Trask

1. No

10 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. Yes

17 vote(s)
    63.0%
  1. brees2019

brees2019 Sophomore

Oct 6, 2019
    This isn't a who should start questiob, but more of a when we should insert EJ into the game. Trask between the 20s is lights out. He's effective in the redzone but yesterday we were twice in FG range and he had the 2 strip sacks. This is primarily due to the fact we can't run. So why not insert EJ here? Run the jet sweeps, read options, etc. I'm really confused by why we just throw him out there for the sake of it. Seems like there's no strategy

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

It seems that our running game gets going a bit when EJ is in the game....

The kid has silenced the critics who thought that he was only a runner...
    He's got an arm on him as well!

If it turns out that Trask still has problems with his knee, we'll see a lot more of him against LSWho.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    You have to love the newbies. LOL.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. brees2019

brees2019 Sophomore

Oct 6, 2019
    Ok? Just trying to bring a new topic up.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. GornGator

GornGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Winter Park, FL.
    I'm no coach, just an observer for many years.... I have listened to coaches talk and have seen hundreds of games. They always talk about putting players in the best spot to make plays.... I know Perine busted an 88 yard epic run throught the MIDDLE, but WHY don't we try to get more edge attacks against lines with great Dline caliber talent (Auburn)? Why not make them go sideline to sideline and chase us and get them gassed (hands on hips between plays)? Talked to a former player and he said it's because Auburn had the outside speed to contain us.... that may well be but I just get frustrated seeing a stonewall play after play.. I know the big run worked in the end but I personally think there would be more positive moments and yardage if the plays went in a different area of attack, i.e. screens, toss sweeps, end arounds…. Just saying/venting..... Hammer away.
    GO GATORS!!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. brees2019

brees2019 Sophomore

Oct 6, 2019
    Think we lost that with Toney going down

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    I think Jones is getting close to breaking out. Wish he had another 20 pounds on him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. jsarms1

jsarms1 Junior

Jan 2, 2009
    Jones has shown he can throw it as well as run it, Mullen knows what he's doing. EJ will start or get significant playing time when he's ready to be most impactful. Why are we still questioning Mullen's decisions?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. brees2019

brees2019 Sophomore

Oct 6, 2019
    Just need a running threat inside.the 20. With Toney out, we need him more than ever

10. brees2019

brees2019 Sophomore

Oct 6, 2019
    Because we fumbled 3x in our own redzone last week.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. diehardgator15

diehardgator15 All American

Oct 6, 2019
    I still think Emory is a year away. I value accuracy and quick decisions over anything else. I like Trask starting just think he needs to learn how to be more aware of the pressure in the pocket. I’d honestly like us to keep recruiting QB’s though if possible.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    When should we insert Emory? Yes or no :emoji_thinking:

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. roflcopter

roflcopter GC Legend

Dec 1, 2011
    West Virginia
    All your bass are belong to us

• Funny Funny x 7
  14. WhattaGator

Is that like a "Is you is..or is you ain't" kind of question?? :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    Mullen has lined up a pretty good list of QBs. Ej, Anthony Richardson, Carlos del rio. We’re in good shape for a while.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    This. It just can't happen over and over. He needs to improve his awareness. It's either throw the ball away, or hold on to it and not fumble. Because not only they give the ball to the opponent, they also miss the opportunity of scoring points. Can't expect the defense to bail you out all the time. If this happens again against LSU, they will get blown out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. WhattaGator

Oh....

By the way...

What in the hell is a "questiob"??? :D

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Been wanting to address this for awhile. First off, I'm very glad Trask is the starter and has opened up the passing game. He has proven he is much better at reading the defense and finding the open receivers. Many of us have been saying for years we have open receivers all over the place but other QBs often fail to see them. I'm not saying CDM was wrong for starting Franks. That said with Trask we get a drop back, stay in the pocket QB, and defenses know that. If we are passing the ball, any D going forward knows 80% of the time Trask will be 3 steps back from where he gets the ball and that ain't changing. It will be up to the line to protect him and prevent more fumbles. Yes Trask did ease out of the pocket a few times Saturday and even completed a few passes on the "run". Point is Trask is not a scrambler. Mullen knows it, we all know it and the defense knows it.
    That means most of our passes have to be no more than 10-15 yards down field or out in the flats, quick passes. That's what we saw Saturday. So if I'm LSU, as soon as we cross the 50, they bring up the DBs and play tight, forcing Trask to beat them over the top. That will make shorter routes harder to find and prevent us from running. In this game, I look for many more passes to Pitts and/or Swain over the middle to test their LBs and open up the field more. Question is can we still find open receivers in the short game past the 50 or does Trask start hitting receivers down the field on some longer passes? And does our O-Line give him enough time to step up for those longer throws and prevent more fumbles? That's what I'll be watching for this Saturday.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Jones at the Toney spot or too risky? Where was Copeland?

20. WhattaGator

Nah.... Jefferson or Copeland...maybe even Cleveland or Swain