Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, you may notice glitches here and there. We are upgrading our servers shortly, please pardon the dust and hang in there. : ) Thanks for your patience.

Trask spends shutdown training with former teammate King (Sentinel)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorjjh, Jun 18, 2020.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    UF football

QBS can’t pass up mini ‘reunion’

Trask spends shutdown training with former teammate King
    By Edgar Thompson
    GAINESVILLE — UF quarterback Kyle Trask spent the coronavirus shutdown back home in Manvel, Texas, south of Houston.

There, Trask worked out six days a week preparing for the upcoming season while reconnecting with former teammate and new Miami Hurricanes quarterback D’Eriq King.

Trask and King spent three hours together Tuesdays and Thursdays at a local quarterback academy, renewing a friendship tracing to when they were 15-year-olds at Manvel High.
    “We’ve always been competing all throughout high school,” Trask said. “To get back out there and compete with each other and we’re also pretty good friends, so it was pretty cool just to meet up again.”

If this were a season ago, Trask and King would also be meeting on the field. The Gators and Hurricanes kicked off the 2019 campaign Aug. 24 in Orlando’s Camping World Stadium, where UF prevailed 24-20.

Much has changed dramatically for each quarterback since then.

Trask spent the opener on the sideline as Feleipe Franks’ backup while King prepared to build on his 51-touchdown 2018 season with the Houston Cougars.

Three games later, Franks suffered a season-ending injury at Kentucky, paving the way for Trask to step in, seize the starting job and emerge as one of the top quarterbacks in the SEC. Following Houston’s 1-3 start, King announced he was going to redshirt and he eventually transferred to Miami.

The two quarterbacks from outside Houston now will finish their college careers in the state of Florida. But Trask and King have been through a dramatic role reversal since their high school days when Trask served as the record-setting King’s little-known backup.

QBS can’t pass up mini ‘reunion’

• Like Like x 7
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    I miss playing Miami every year.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't miss their fans.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    You might as well have said:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. believer

believer GC Legend

Jun 2, 2007
    I have a hard time respecting a man who quit on his team because they were 1-3 and basically just jumped off the sinking ship.

In contrast, the other man in the article stuck with multiple teams despite riding the bench and waited patiently for his turn, which may have never even come.

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 3
    • Friendly x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  6. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Good to hear Trasky is working out...

Man, worst off-season in the history of college ball. I wasn't around during the world Wars, maybe those times sucked pretty bad too. But we have no sports, locked up, social distancing cluster-fook, if you watch the news its ridiculous. Elected officials should all be shot, left right middle... all worthless. Zero respect, no accountability with anyone. Okay, where were we? Oh yeah, no sports ahhhhhhh.

Please God, I know I grovel regularly, but how about a little something for the effort?

I've been watching highlights from past seasons and it seems like the ancient archives from a distant civilization! Help!

Go Gators.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  7. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    I'll admit that for no good reason, I dismissed Trask as an option at QB. After the first series when he took over for Franks, I was sold. First time I really had faith in our QB since Tebow. I'm excited to see how he looks when he is the presumptive starter and got the majority of reps. I hope he can get in the Heisman race.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Legend

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    You can't teach heart. Trask has it in full. Hope he gets the chance to play it out this season.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    If the Oline holds, I think Trask will give ol' Spurs wood this year!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    I also hope Crash Daniel's gets a day off from Walmart so he can come watch Trask crush KY this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    C'mon man there are at least three of them. :eek::D:)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  12. FusionGator

FusionGator Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    I remember thinking our season was about to be extremely bumpy with a few losses when Frank's went down.

I was sitting upright by the end of Trasks first series. I was stunned at how that team was immediately completely different.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    CDM will enjoy the best QB room he’s had in many years. Hope they all stay healthy and the competition continues through the entire season. If the OL’s new arrivals can allow the running game to gain respect, the passing game will continue to improve. Every starting receiver including the slot will be capable of scoring from anywhere on the field.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Here's to continued good health and to Healthy competition

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. number1

number1 NBN Bracket Master

Oct 9, 2011
    And did it with a shaky OL and almost non-existent run game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    You might not respect D'Eriq but damn kid is a hell of a QB and fun to watch. Reminds me of Manzeil. He has some talent but you question him as a person.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Totally agree, hope I'm wrong but think canes lucked out. Still amazed he transferred there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    I cant wait to watch the clowns chase him around...theyre going to struggle with him in a big way.

19. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Not to mention we were in a hole against kentucky and he led us to 19 unanswered points to win the game

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  20. MoscowGtr

MoscowGtr All American

Aug 17, 2011
    Why hope that you are wrong? He is a one-and-done in a year when we don’t play them and the clowns do.