Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Transfer Portal Winners and Losers per CBS Sports

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by jareduf, Apr 8, 2021.

1. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Winner: Florida gets roster upgrade
    Sharpshooter Noah Locke and role players Omar Payne and Ques Glover are in the portal as departures for Florida, but the Gators appear to have upgraded with what's coming in. Penn State guard Myreon Jones is the headliner so far after averaging 15.3 points on 39.5% 3-point shooting for the Nittany Lions this season. Kansas City transfer guard Brandon McKissic is also a good get for coach Mike White after he averaged 17.2 points on 50.8% shooting in his fourth college season. Boston College forward CJ Felder should more than atone for Payne's departure after he averaged 9.7 points, 5.9 rebounds and 2.2 blocks in 19 games for the Eagles this season.

College basketball transfer portal: Winners and losers so far of a wild offseason of players on the move

• Like Like x 12
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Other winners in the article were Maryland, Kentucky and Arkansas.

Losers were Minnesota, Penn State, Boston College, and Utah. Interesting that 2 of the 4 losers were teams we had players transfer from to Florida.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Losing Tre Mann to the NBA was gonna happen in any scenario, and he'll be hard to replace. But just looking at the portal guys, I think most reasonable persons will see the Gators coming out of it with a definite upgrade. We won't know for certain until we see these guys on the floor for us, but it looks quite good, and I think we'll still add an interior player that can be a solid rebounder and defender. If not, we really need Jitoboh to start reaching his potential.

• Agree x 7
    • Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    When everyone was freaking out about the transfers, I said that I thought we would have a more talented roster (minus KJ) than we did at the end of the season. The guys we lost, aside from mann just weren't complete players. Really liked locke and scottie, but scottie has no offense and lock is one dimensional 3pt shooter. If this is what it takes for white to be successful then so be it.

• Like Like x 5
  5. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Just after that article is a draft projection showing Tre Mann going to the Warriors at #13. Quite a bit higher than I expected.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    They look like good players and appear to be upgrades. Will they mesh? Develop? Be coachable? Acclimate? Bond? Who knows? I understand it's the new normal and everybody is operating in the same morass. Having said that, I don't think you can build a TEAM from the portal. Five players don't make a team. I'd just like us to be the outlier that bucks the trend and keeps guys. College bball is rapidly losing my interest.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2013
    Remember everyone has an extra year of eligibility. So this is the year to capitalize as much as possible on the portal with guys that aren't good enough to play in the NBA but are impact players in college. I agree you should not build a team with the portal but this year is different with the immediate year of eligibility and the extra year as well. Just food for thought

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Agree 100% - While these guys have nice stats that's meaningless until
    UF puts the product on the floor and see how they shake out.

At least at this stage CMW seems to have attracted some good players.
    Still think we need another low post guy still, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Well, he was getting better by the day and was looking like a high draft pick his last month. Still needs to clean up the turnovers and be a little more alert on the defensive side, but the guy has a rare knack for scoring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    That’s kind of how I feel too, but what Musselman did this year and previously at Nevada is heartening. I think he is the only SEC coach I would for sure trade White for.

11. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Wow, 13??
    Think Trey made a good decision coming back? He's gonna be a multi millionaire now! HECK of a soph jump. Congrats Trey!!!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    I think John Calipari has proven otherwise, a team can be formed with 5 players.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    As long as one of them is Anthony Davis.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Despite all the scuttle-butt that surrounded him and the fact he was a Cat he still remains one of my favorite players in college ball. Guy was a phenom.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez All American

Nov 29, 2016
    If this happens good for MW.. He can finally point to a first round draft pick when recruiting.

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. robertgator

robertgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Losing interest but still posting to a BBall message board in the offseason. :) Interest hasn't been completely extinguished yet...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Thanks for the logical and rational post. I was all amiss with the transfers out, openly wondering if there would soon be news of CMW's departure (for one reason or another). What you mention here makes a lot of sense.

18. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Colorado Western Slope
    I agree. It is mind-boggling that CMW has not had a 1st round draft-pick in the six years he has been here. With all of these nice portal recruits, this upcoming season will be the tell-tale of his coaching prowess. I hope he excels and puts it all together; I am cautiously optimistic.

19. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    I said "college bball", NOT Gator bball... ;)

20. G8rmann

G8rmann Premium Member

Feb 20, 2014
    With so many players leaving, there was a strong need to bring in a lot of talented players. To Mike White’s credit, he has been very successful doing so
    with room to still
    add one or more and that should give Florida a shot to be good next year. I am looking forward to seeing what he can do with the new roster.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2