Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Transfer Portal Thread (Other Schools)

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by INGATORSWETRUST, Mar 14, 2020.

1. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Would we necessarily know if they did? It seems that whenever we hear Bout a position coach getting offers elsewhere it's usually for leverage to get a raise from their current employer. If Hev isn't interested in leveraging for more money there's a good chance we may never hear about the interest if he himself isn't interested in leaving. I mean unless it's a step up the coaching ladder UF is about as big time of a college football team as they get if factoring in brand power, history, fan support etc. Not sure why he would try to leave to be a oline coach at some other school if he isn't forced to.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    i hear you on that but OL coach a lot of time graduate to OC then/or to HC. We got Sam Pittman who went from UGA OL to HC as well as Matt Luke who went from Ole Miss OL coach to HC. Hell Phil Fulmer may be the most successful former OL coach turned HC. Look at Cristobal. Im just saying that to an OL coach for as long as he’s been and NOBODY has tried to pooch him to be a HC/OC is kinda telling imo. Hell even Steve Addazio leveraged his OC/OL job in 2009-2010 to the Temple job

3. Yeah I don't think that's relevant especially at a place like Florida (they're not getting a better college oline coaching job unless it's their alma mater or something). He's as tied to Mullen as anyone on the staff, I doubt he's looked anywhere else in years. Regardless, if the oline doesn't improve the complaints will get louder and completely valid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. KSAGator

KSAGator Premium Member

Jan 26, 2014
    Mexico
    At the end of the day, recruiting is down to the head coach. You can adjust the knobs with assistant hires, but the real difference is between the head guys. That has been our biggest issue on OL (as in some other places). And it is also true that he is tied to Mullen and coaches the way that Mullen thinks the unit should be coached—so I don’t know how much better we’d be with someone else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    Agree with the thought, but Mullen seems to often be listening to better offers. Is it odd that hev isn't? Maybe he's just at his dream school?

• Like Like x 1
  6. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hev has reached his ceiling?

7. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    Guess it depends on how ceiling is interpreted. I think we all think he's a good coach, and he is who he is. I think he can build a solid line. But can he build a great line with the talent he accumulates?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. KSAGator

KSAGator Premium Member

Jan 26, 2014
    Mexico
    You think he can build a solid line under what circumstances - when he has a head coach who can bring in better talent? He is heading into his 4th year with very low expectations and almost no history to date of doing anything other than treading water with the last staff’s recruits and transfer players. If he can build a good line, why hasn’t he done it.

9. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    right. He got Jawaan to realize his potential and became a 2nd rounder, Forsythe will go from damn near a 2* kid to a 3rd-5th at the latest draft pick, Gouriage, White, and Braun (barring any injury setbacks) are future draft picks too. So the development is there in a coach like Hev and that’s what you want and he’s never had a BAD OL; I just wonder if he can ever get us to an ELITE OL and that may be tough to do since he’s a good recruiter

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    I also know an often over looked part of a job is who you work for. It's an element so strong that it can make a person even despise their "dream" job. In fact I would say finding a great working environment is probably one of the most important aspects to longevity in a job. If he's happy, makes enough money to be content, and actually enjoys going to work I can't blame him.

It is funny though that TG gets a good bit of grieve for his tendency to hop from job to job and So does Hev but for the complete opposite issue. He doesn't hop to other jobs and seems content on not going job hunting. We CFB fans are a fickle bunch huh? Lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Me: “why don’t Grantham make up his mind on where he wants to be!?!?”

Also me: “why haven’t Hev tried to become an OC or HC somewhere else dammit!?!?!?”

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    I think Grantham gets grief because he earned the nickname 3rd and Grantham. I think hev gets grief because he's not a recruiter of top talent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    Under perfect circumstances with a LOT of time!

14. devincdoss

devincdoss Senior

Aug 9, 2017
    Chapel Hill, NC
    UNC ILB and Florida native Khadry Jackson is in the portal. Wonder if Mullen will take a look. He was going to be the first LB off the bench this year and possibly could've competed for a starting job in fall camp.

• Informative Informative x 4
  15. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    May be better off with what we already have than what we can hire

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Hmmmmm

17. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017

18. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Would think more would enter portal after Spring semester after finding out their position on the depth chart.

19. KSAGator

KSAGator Premium Member

Jan 26, 2014
    Mexico
    OL depth!? Hello? Are you out there?