Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Transfer Portal as to baseball - BA

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I thought this deserved its own thread for discussion.
    Transfer Portal, Rule Changes Lead To Uncertain Summer In College Baseball's Transfer Market
    "In basketball and football, which are headcount sports with every player on a full scholarship, the rule really just releases true walk-ons to freely transfer once to another school to play immediately. For baseball, however, its effect is much greater. Because baseball teams are capped at 11.7 scholarships to be divided between a maximum of 27 players (with a minimum of a 25 percent scholarship), but their roster is capped at 35 players, there are usually at least eight walk-ons on every roster who receive no money. Further, because so few players are on full athletic scholarships, there are many talented players taking advantage of academic aid or other forms of institutional aid, sometimes to the point where they don’t receive any athletic scholarship money at all. They also qualify to transfer freely under this new rule."
    Most of you know this stuff already but I felt it was well explained and brings up several good points. What say the Diamond Gator panelists?

2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    87—

As you are well aware, this is a very clear and clean break down specifically for baseball with an appreciated humorous side for the “headcount” of 100% athletic scholarships to football and basketball—

Again, the “Blending Rule” is a major tool for baseball to either use or do without (or at least do with much less) but it appears that it or it’s application is, at least, IMHO loosely governed by the all powerful and controlling NCAA when you look at how schools like Vanderbilt, Stanford, and others bring in other “academic” monies from so many different sources that cannot be competed with by most schools.

For all schools to have that equal “playing field” from recruiting to scholarships to eligible players to the finished product of a team obtaining its goals takes an amount of parity that I don’t know that we will ever see. It will be worth watching.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Hall of Fame

Mar 27, 2015
    We hear a ton of scandal when it comes to football and basketball of teams using illegal or misappropriated funds to get kids to play for them. I have never heard of an NCAA investigation into baseball where a school is reviewed for giving academic monies for baseball players. What would prevent a school from giving 10 players full "academic" scholarships that they may have not qualified for if they did not play baseball? I know in football you have a certain amount of scholarships and anything above that is highly regulated, but in baseball it seems the rules are different.

4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I hear ya KG—

I’ve always thought that the major differences when trying to compare baseball with football and basketball was obviously monies generated by each sport. IMHO this comes from television and all of its attached endorsements.

College Baseball has more and better television broadcast coverages now than ever before—surely those revenues have increased proportionately. With ESPN, ESPNU, WatchESPN, SEC Network and all other Conference TV coverages (plus the coverage the CWS gets) it would seem to be a no-brainer that it is well past time for the “11.7” baseball scholarships format to change for the current times.

But that’s just me....

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I think 25 would be an appropriate number, and would work for Power 5 schools because of the big TV deals for football, but that would make the mid-major schools obsolete.

6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

I agree, but with all the “political correctness” in today’s world there will never be any type of decision in this direction that takes opportunities away from the mid-majors—However, you will never sell me on it’s impossible to increase the number of scholarships for baseball to something above “11.7”....that is both a joke and an insult IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    25 sounds good to me but I'd be happy with any more than 18 for now. Its a joke that college sports can't even support a second string.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2