Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Transfer portal and roster

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator10, Nov 7, 2021.

1. gator10

gator10 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2015
    This is what happens when you can’t recruit and build your team off the transfer portal. We have a defensive line completely built off the portal. They can’t get to the quarterback or stop the run to save their lives. Also we missed on every top offensive lineman we went after the past few years. The only highly rated receiver we landed was Henderson’s brother. For some reason Mullen just can’t land upper tier talent. This is why he must go now or our future is bleak.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    It isnt because “for some reason”, the reason is that goof can’t recruit. Anyone with an ounce of care about recruiting would have Jax to Tampa locked up and loaded up with the top kids yearly.

This cycle for example, if we locked that area up we’d have 8 of the top 30 kids in the state and easily a top 10 class…..EASILY

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. FusionGator

FusionGator All American

Nov 15, 2015
    I asked in another thread and didn't get an answer. I'll ask again. Why isn't Mullen a good recruiter? Is Kirby walking into houses with a handful of keys and telling the kid to pick his ride? Is Mullen treating recruits and their families rudely? Is Mullen truly handicapped by budget?

I don't doubt Mullen would like to get 4 and 5 stars. But why does he continue to be 3 star Dan?

I ask this as a serious question. It's something that I have wondered for a long time about how one coach can arrive in year one and start killing it in recruiting and another, like Mullen, still sucks at it 15 years later even given the built in advantages that he has.

• Like Like x 2
  4. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    We have a bunch of unpersonable old dudes as recruiters. Recruiting is a younger high energy game

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. gator10

gator10 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2015
    It may be hard to put your finger on exactly why he can’t close. It’s likely a combination of personality and effort.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. col_kurtz

col_kurtz GC Legend

Oct 8, 2007
    Getting the western palm beach county pipeline back up would be a big score.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017

It’s a Dan issue. Its starts and ends with him. He doesn’t live and breathe it. He’s not relentless and that hurts him being a closer for kids. We see it all the time. By now we should be getting more elite kids but we continue to strike out at the end. It’s way too obvious this staff doesn’t prioritize recruiting during the season. I saw that because they’ll enter the season in A LOT of these kids top 2-5 final teams and as the season goes on, momentum just DROPS. Recruiting momentum post Bama game has just dropped and it allcan’t be attributed to wins and losses

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    *anyone who spent any time at all in awesome recruiting would’ve been on to this 2-4 years ago.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. okcgator

okcgator GC Legend

Sep 24, 2015
    Dayton
    Seems like Dan got complacent when he saw his methods working in years 1&2. Instead of making proactive changes to keep the program evolving he dug into MSU tendencies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bottledigger

bottledigger GC Legend

Aug 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    Speaking of portal - I’m surprised and relieved that there hasn’t been a rush of current players entering the portal to ditch our sinking ship. Still plenty of time for that, I guess.☹️

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. easycoastgator

easycoastgator GC Legend

Dec 26, 2018
    @bobbybaker86 and others might know the answer to this… how many coaches/staff members are allowed to contact recruits? For example can all or any of alabama’s “analysts” contact them? I’m guessing there’s a limited number otherwise the formula is easy. Recruits want someone in their ear everyday telling them how great they are (the recruit)

12. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee, FL
    JAX area should be a high priority as well!

13. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    UF doesnt have a huge budget to supprt a gazillion recruiting 'consultants' on staff like Saban or notSmart does.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. g8rnc

g8rnc All American

May 13, 2015
    The issues I’ve seen mentioned, not in any particular order:
    1. Recruiting/football budget
    2. Dan’s personality/not a seller
    3. Dan doesn’t make recruiting a priority
    4. Poor recruiters on staff (Hevesy, Knox, etc)
    5. Dan is and has been under NCAA recruiting penalties right now. Not sure what that is limiting, I think maybe limits the amount or completely eliminates visits by the head coach.

Not sure if I’m missing any other reasons.

15. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    IMO there are some we need to enter. While this is primarily a coaching thing, there is also a player thing too

16. ofmgator

ofmgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Time for a change at the top right now. Putting off the inevitable will only make our situation worse. MSU was satisfied with seven wins and a bowl game. Florida should be in the top ten in recruiting every year and if we had top recruiters we'd be in the top five always. Like Bear Bryant said it's not the X's & O's but the Jimmies and Joes.

17. Gatuar

Gatuar GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2008
    Ponte Vedra Beach
    One unfortunate result of this season, we’re gonna need some help in the transfer portal to be successful next season

need a few more weapons for AR …a linebacker that weighs more then 220 and a nasty rush DE like Greenard

18. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    This is an absolute joke. We may not have the “budget” based on the report we all saw, but the way budgets work is you create a new budget with more money and close the gap. The problem is Mullen has said he doesn’t feel he needs to do more. He legit thinks our recruiting is ok.

And based on his personality he might be right, if he has to give up a couple weeks of water skiing at Lake Oconee to work recruits or go through recruiting/scouting analysis with analysts, that would probably be outside his comfort zone.

Generally what I find is people are keen to dismiss things they really don’t spend any time understanding. This is the same kind of person that would say “Champ/Mac can’t recruit because we won’t build them facilities.” Instead of thinking: we should expect an AD/Coach and the UAA to rally funding to compete and build facilities.

Which is what Mac ended up doing - he put the AD/UAA on blast because we were resource poor and not investing. And boom it got done even though he was interpersonally annoying.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    That’s such a simple fix though. Wtf?

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. flnative75

flnative75 Sophomore

Oct 17, 2011
    Tampa
    My question is , since the ncaa rules of players making money now have changed . Shouldn’t this be a big push to pull recruits? Allowing them to make
    Money of their likeness would be a huge advantage at Florida ‍♂️ How is this not used when sitting in someone’s living room . You know damn well bama will play that card if it’s possible