Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Traeger Smokers

Discussion in 'Swamp Cook Shack' started by beachpiratefla, May 12, 2019.

1. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have a traeger but my wife doesn't like it because she says the meat never looks done (even though it is). I also have a Big Green Egg which I love and now use it all of the time since it solved the "color" problem for my wife.

2. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Aw, man....

Whatever smoker, (or method of smoking) you might have, or prefer....
    For the most part....that luscious "smoke ring" is what you're looking for!

Way back in thne late 70's, when I was the pitmaster for all of the Sonny's Bar-B-Q's in Broward County, Florida....we used to smoke our meats the good old fashioned way...

Get your trusty wheelbarrow, and make 3-4 trips out to the woodpile...pick your wood..and build your fire...

When your fire got down to mostly coals...spread your beef in the lower back corner, then your pork Boston Butts in the lower right corner.....then, on the top rack...spread your 1/2 Chickens and those beautiful slabs of St. Louis-style ribs......
    Toss is (gently, and expertly) some more wood on top of those coals, to get that great smoke....and....
    The finesse was in knowing just how to use your high-pressure water hose....to not kick up any ashes onto the meats, but, still be able to temper the flames, the heat...and,, most importantly...to kick up some more smoke!!

Our main restaurant was on SR441and SR-84 In Ft. Lauderdale...and if it wasn't that busy, The servers would comment to me about it...si, I'd toss a few more logs into the pit, let the flames come up a decent bit, then hit it a few times with that hose, and, if you knew how to swirl it just right, it would send a nice, very aromatic plume of smoke out the smokestack, and into the traffic on the street, and it suddenly got busy...

When you could put a 3/8th " smoke ring on a Boston Butt...bring it slowly up to 160 degrees....and still be able to slice it for a regular Smoked Pork sandwich.....

But....
    Then again.......simply apply some more time...let the pork reach about 185-190 degrees...and, BOOM!!!...Serve that pullel pork on s toasted brioce bun.,and top it with my cole slaw recipe and Bar-B-Q sauce, and you hafve anotheer thing of beauty! :)

And, those ribs!.....but, sadly...
    They did away with the woodpile, and now, their "pit" is a"rotosmoker" machine, that they put chip on the bottom...their meats come in mostly cooked, and they're just basicaly heating it up in that thing...and it shows in the taste and texture.

3. beanfield

beanfield GC Legend

Aug 1, 2009
    has anyone tried a southern pride smoker..

4. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    bought my wife an Oklahoma Joe Highland smoker about 3 years ago- she loves it

smokes all kinds of meat

when the shutdown began we discussed just cooking meat for people - she was excited about doing it- having been in the restaurant biz for 40+ years, I told her it was way too much work but I have been giving a lot of thought about buying Jack's BBQ in Minneola(has been for sale for 6 months with no takers) and turning it into a take out only

5. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Darn nice smokers.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Bbq. Stock market. Bbq. Stock market. This is life now. Lol

7. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    I've never used a factory-made smoker, so I have no opinion, but I can't stay away from any talk of Que. I own two handmade smokers (just not my hands) that are pretty large trailers. I only fire them up when I have a big event, but man do they make me look like a genius, they do all the work. For small personal items, I'll just go indirect w/ soaked woodchips and light coals in my Webber, never been disappointed in the results. It only takes a bit more work to control the heat using the vents and airflow.