Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Tournament Wins Since 2015

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by g8wayg8r, May 15, 2020.

1. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    See, people put way too much emphasis on that rather than on making the tournament all those years in a row. It ain't supposed to be easy to make the tournament and it ain't supposed to be easy to advance.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

And, despite those disappointing early exits by some of Donovan's teams, my perception is that our fans have been spoiled into unreasonable expectations by our Tourney success relative to our program's overall record. I would think that if there is a measure of a program's tournament seeding versus tournament success, our program's success versus seeding (and number of times making the Tourney) would be ranked very high.

Pretty much every season, there are a bunch of very good and talented teams that get knocked out in the first weekend of the Tourney. So, even when we do have a great season and get a high seed, I think our fans need to keep in mind that anything can and will happen in a single-elimination basketball tournament: the annual "blood bath" known as the NCCA Basketball Tournament. Of course, that means some lower seeds are getting through as usual. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. number1

number1 NBN Bracket Master

Oct 9, 2011
    Plus 3 of those were tough matchups that he lost, especially in the 2nd round (Michigan State, Temple, Villanova).

4. number1

Oct 9, 2011
    My expectations have been clear since White was hired.

1. Make the NCAA Tournament regularly (he's done that)

2. Compete for the SEC title every year (Top 4 conference finish)

3. 22+ regular-season wins

4. Occasionally make a deep run in the tournament (I'm not crazy enough to expect White to have a run of 4 straight Elite 8s or back-to-back national titles).

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

But he hasn't so you are being inconsistent in your analysis. He did not make the NCAA his first year, and this past year it was questionable as to whether we were going to make it with absolutely abundant talent (pre season top 10). His 3rd and 4th years we basically backed into the tournament.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

But he has.

This would have been 4 years in a row in the Tourney after delivering a winning season (after a losing season) in his first year. From what I saw on television, there was pretty much 100% agreement this year that the Gators had clinched a bid regardless of what happened in the SEC Tourney.....

.....except for some of our own fans :rolleyes: whose strenuous objections to us deserving a bid were, fortunately, not having much success in turning the tide of public opinion against our guys.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Junior

Nov 29, 2016
    I agree. I think if MW ripped off a couple of 22-25 win seasons with a regular or tourney title thrown in, and we weren’t sweating on selection Sunday, fans could live with that more often than not. It’s the 19-14 season with mind-numbing play sweating Sunday that drives ppl crazy. Even during those 5 year early outs BD won the Sec tourney once and had some very good regular seasons.

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

I don't thing true Gator fans were trying to turn opinion against our own school. I think TRUE Gator fans are tired of seeing talented teams not advance past the first weekend which, when we did make the tournament under Mike White in the most recent appearances, is where we exited. For some fans, who might not have the same investment in the program as others, or who are satisfied with mediocrity, making the tournament is enough for him to keep his job. But for die hard Alligator Alley memory fans who watched this program play in the pull out the bleachers of the campus gym days to putting the Championship gym floor in a stand alone stadium, barely getting to the tournament and exiting the first weekend is ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE. He has one and perhaps two because of COVID to turn it around or its SAYONARA!

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    I agree. I don't know why some UF fans got spoiled. It's not like UF BB has great history. Really, if we look at UF's tourney success they are third in the SEC in tourney wins. Only because Arkansas was so good back in the old days. Not that the SEC is great in BB, but still.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    One of the reasons Steve Spurrier left is that Gator fans were never satisfied. You win a lot and they become whiny, entitled Karens.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  11. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Lol at “Karens”. Keeping current with the lexicon! :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    White got off to a great start, but has had 2 straight really disappointing seasons. This past season probably most disappointing just because of the gap between expectations, talent, and results.

He needs to get it going the other way.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. number1

Oct 9, 2011
    I'd actually say 3-straight disappointing seasons (Remember the year we were rolling until the last 10 minutes in Portland......)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

There was a stretch recently where UF and UNC were tied or running neck and neck as the two programs that had gone to the most Elite Eights over a certain span. RECENTLY. Those days seem like ancient history under Mike White. People were not spoiled, they developed expectations.

There are certain teams in the NCAA that are perennial top 20 programs. We were there at one time for several years. Why should we accept anything less? Because he's a nice guy?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. number1

Oct 9, 2011
    Exactly. 3 consecutive seasons of inconsistent play placing the team on or near the bubble.

16. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    Using the logic some use here our expectations in football shouldn't be what it is either because we weren't elite for most of our history before 1990.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Yes, that was also an odd year. We came out of the gate smoking hot, but after we gave up the lead to Duke it was like our whole season changed. Wasn’t that also the year we awaited Egbunu’s return but he never got back?

If not for the smoking hot start, that season was also eerily similar. Very up and down.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    I'm not saying Gator fans should accept mediocrity. All I'm saying is arrogance should match accomplishments. We make fun of UCF because of the way their fans act like UCF football is the greatest since slice bread. Let me ask you. If they fire CMW, is there an elite coach out there that you think UF can bring in? In my mind, UF is not in the same level as UK, NC, or Duke. NC can hire away a successful coach from Kansas, whereas UF can't do that. I'm all for it if UF can hire Jay from Villanova, Mark Few or any
    proven college Bb HC.

19. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

I think a lot of coaches that have come out of the program under Donovan would provide more of a guideline as to expectations. Just as Mullen coming back from the Meyer days, and having tremendous success, I think getting a coach who has established an identity separate from Florida who comes back with that championship mentality would be great for the program. All coaches were non entities until they won. The great ones win more consistently. it is not because we lack talent that we are 2-3 tier SEC and have been under the MW era.

I hope he can turn it around. Once again he has some extremely interesting pieces to work with as far as talent is concerned.