Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Tournament Wins Since 2015

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by g8wayg8r, May 15, 2020.

1. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    In the SEC the Gators have the second most wins (with 5), only behind Kentucky (with 9). Of the four other teams with a new coach we have more than than those combined. To me it looks like a good hire. I'm sure others disagree and an arguement about that seems more interesting than whether Grateful of Hoops has the best fish.

I'm kind of bored today.

• Like Like x 4
  2. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't think that 5 wins since 2015 makes it a good hire. More importantly, what's your problem with fish?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

The Knicks can point to the fact that the Sacramento Kings last won a NBA Championship in 1951 when they were the Rochester Royals and brag about the fact that their last Championship for NY was in 1973. I don't think New York fans take solace in that fact.

Quite honestly White got reprieve with the pandemic. It bought him two more seasons as head coach to make a deep run in the tournament. Four out of his five seasons have seen our program have a margin of victory over losses of 7 or fewer games. In 19 years as Florida head coach, Billy only saw that margin 3 times, and one was his last year when he was basically exasperated and heading towards the NBA.

If you can't see the night and day difference between the leadership then shame on you. I support Mike White and his staff, and I think that they are excellent recruiters. But who cares if you get some of the finest foods from over the land if you don't know how to cook?

After 19 years of a top notch program barely scraping above 500 4 out of 5 years is a fast track to a pink slip here at Florida. He better mentor with some gurus or bring in a semi retired old school basketball mind to help him right the ship or the ax will swing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    If White is unwilling to go uptempo and high energy on both ends of the court, then he should be fired. He also shouldn’t even be considering McClung who is a ball hogging poorer version of Grayson Allen. We already have a ball hogging guard in Nembhard, and it has hurt the team. As things now stand, 2 seasons from now, we should have a team composed of Appleby, Glover, Locke, Lane and Klatsky at the guard spots, Ruzhnetsev, Reeves, Duruji and Osifo at the forward spots, and Jitoboh, Payne and Castleton at center. Those guys should be good enough and athletic enough to go up tempo all over the court without the ball being stuck in anyone’s hands. If you can’t win a ton of games with those guys, then you shouldn’t be coaching in a Power 6 conference.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Nice thread OP.
    Beginning to lean a bit more toward
    the critics going forward, time to get it done on the court.

21-15 type campaigns with an occasional
    first round win is getting pedestrian fast.

Certainly seems he has a decent cast to work with even if Andrew doesn’t return.
    Hoping the next season shows demonstrable improvement in play and W / L record.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. number1

number1 NBN Bracket Master

Oct 9, 2011
    Considering 3 of the 5 wins occurred in one season, I'm not impressed by that. Also, we were on track to having 14 losses (unless you think the team would catch fire and win the SEC or NCAA tournament).

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    CMW has shown he can improve players. And win in the ncaa’s.... And draw up some great in-bounds plays, etc.

The complaint early on was that he wasn’t recruiting well enough, even lagging.

well, he turned the corner on that one deficiency. It would appear. (Perhaps aided by the shoe scandal. Good to know CMW isn’t one to make strong ass offers.)

anyway, we all felt that this season would be quite special; maybe spectacular. The fact the results didn’t match expectations really tainted all the goodwill CMW had amassed. Now, IMO, he’s back to having to build trust, coaching acumen and credibility.

got to win on the court. There are some things he can do and have gator fans ecstatic. E.g beat FSU. Perform well in early season tourneys. Compete with UK to win the SEC. advance to the 2nd weekend in the NCAA’s. And don’t blow any big leads. Easy enough recipe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    He has shown that he can improve players? I don’t see it. However, he has shown that he can make them worse: KeVaughan Allen, Hudson, Stone to name a few.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    "Ball Hoggin'" Andrew Nembhard averaged 5.6 assists per game. 2nd-best in the SEC.

• Like Like x 3
  10. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That is a different way to compare Coach White with Donovan but let’s remember that in Bill’s last season, UF finished below .500 (or to put it your way, we had a negative margin of victory). I’m going to say it again... as long as White gets UF into the tournament each year, he will continue to be the head basketball coach. And he should be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    That’s not surprising to me. When your point guard controls the ball through most of the shot clock, he should have a ton of assists. However, it reduces the assists by the other players on the team. The Gators were 279th in the country in assists. In Wilbekin’s senior year, he only had 3.6 assists per game, but the team was 36th in the country in assists.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    For what it's worth, believe me when I say I sincerely appreciate you saying this. I think one of the bigger disconnects in these kinds of conversations is that people often bring different expectations to the table and don't ever really articulate that, so folks tend to talk past each other. So it's good to see expectations like this phrased so directly and clearly.

13. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Compared to BD’s last team: think there was improvement by all: hill, Allen chiozza , in CMW’s first few seasons. Just at the foul line, for one stat. I agree, there has been some regression by players over his tenure as well....but I’d argue in the case of Hudson: that might have been outside elements that impacted his confidence - and Mike could not find the secret to rehabilitate.

14. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

Agree. Some players will regress for various reasons we can't always figure out. Nelson was an incredible example of that.

But, it's surprising that some people apparently don't think Johnson has improved during his time at UF. I think all the sophomores last season improved their stats from their freshman seasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

Nembhard hurt the team in the sense that he was the one player who statistically raised the level of play of every lineup on the team. We can't afford that kind of show-everyone-else-up player on the roster. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  16. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Except for Hill's defense, he never improved. Allen didn't play for Donovan; plus he peaked as a sophomore and went down hill after that. Through absolutely no fault of White, Chiozza performed better later in his career. Cheese is the one guy that I hold White most accountable for keeping a player from having a spectacular college career. That is borne out by the explosive growth in Chiozza's game since he left Florida. I don't know what caused Hudson to play so poorly in his last year, but I do know that his shooting form went down the crapper. You would think that a coaching staff could see what was happening and straighten out the problem.

17. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Stats don't always tell the whole story. Johnson became a great player, but his tremendous athleticism and skill set were apparent back when he was a junior in high school.The key for him was that he has become a more aggressive player. I guess that you could give White credit for that, but if he got the ball more, he might have scored 20 ppg. Locke improved a little on offense, but his defense dropped off. Nembhard improved his stats, but, IMO, was not as good a player as he was in his freshman year.

18. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Senior

Nov 29, 2016
    Al
    Alex Tyus never improved. Kasey never improved. The kid from the Panhandle a 5 star with Kasey who washed out never improved. Walsh, Roberson and Brett never improved. People on this board hated Erv and his last second 40 footers after dribbling for 20 seconds never improved. So one of the greatest coaches in college B-ball history has his share. All dwarfed because the 04s are the poster children indeed for “improvement!”

BD went 5 years w/o leaving the first weekend of the tourney and people doubted him. He is my favorite Gator coach of all time ahead of SOS, barely. But he wasn’t perfect.

I’m pulling for MW and he has figured out recruiting. Now he needs to win and make some runs in the tourney or yes he will have to move on. BD like SOS has changed Gator b-ball forever - in a good way. This past year was painful. I think he can figure it out. How long he gets? Only SS knows. But the next two years set up extremely well for MW to shut down the naysayers. The proof will be in the data, however.

I’ll add this however. As mad as I was last year, those kids never quit on MW ever, and I thought they might. That should tell us a lot about the guy. So come on Mike win baby!

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    The reality, Donovan changed expectations at Florida, and for even the most casual of fans... of which we have many... this “isn’t good enough”.
    People forget many wanted to run Donovan out, having bombed out of the tourney’s first weekend 5 straight years.
    Some like to argue that Mike was saved by a Chiozza’s miracle. But if not for a miracle win against Butler- Billy would have gotten out of the first weekend a total of once in nine seasons.
    Yes, White took over “a different” program- but the biggest difference was fan expectations. For the duration of Billy’s career - and especially late, players came to Florida not because it was a basketball destination on par with UK, Duke or UNC. They wanted to play for Billy.
    I think much of Florida’s appeal and perception as a power left when he resigned And White has had to establish himself, and re-establish the program.... one that had been universally associated with its HOF coach/architect.
    I think White has done a good job in an increasingly difficult environment. He has undeniably gained traction in recruiting. And as Donovan demonstrated, consistent tourney appearances ultimately pay off.
    That said, White still has a learning curve. I think he needs to coach a bit looser, and become better at matching his style with the talent he is pursuing. We have had several mismatches that have undermined how we would otherwise play.
    Still, I think he is a good, young coach who runs a clean program, is liked by players and families and is getting to the tourney. Those attributes are great for a guy who I think will grow into even more.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Speaking of getting this program in gear....
    What’s the latest on the “flip the cameras” Campaign?

Has it made its way on the list of capital improvements?

you know,...when I go to the game and sit on the alumni side my viewshed of the game includes the Rowdy Reptiles. I’d like that “same” view to be replicated when I’m at home Watching on TV. Make it happen ADSS!

• Like Like x 1