Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

TOS - Pay to read? Really???

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorRider, Aug 23, 2019.

1. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's the "newspaper way" that kills me. Their model for making money is uncreative and will die.

When I was working for a newspaper 20 years ago and they hired consultants to manage their online presence, the primary goal was to maximize money even at the cost of content or readability. There were no speeches of the fifth estate or the duty to the public then, they were giddy at the opportunity to add online revenue to their declining print sales.

2. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    I agree it's irritating that they charge now, but, it is a business, and they are trying to stay in business. Newpapers aren't alone in adding revenue while having quality content decrease. I'm assuming you watch television, and if you are, you're paying for lesser quality television while being bombarded with advertising.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Dang, now I won't get to see Robbie Andreu pick against us anymore.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Nostradamus

Nostradamus All American

Sep 18, 2015
    I haven’t read a newspaper in at least a decade - get all my news/info at a variety of online sites and blogs. Some of which I pay a subscription for. For me the quality of the content and decline in editorial competency turned me off.

As for TV, I don’t watch anything live. Almost always on DVR - that way I can fast fwd thru the commercials. The amount of advertising in modern TV is an insult IMHO. Especially sports (with the exception of soccer) where commercial breaks disrupt the flow of the game. Do we really need 6 commercials between a kickoff return and the offense taking the field?

I get that all of this is a business and revenue has to cover costs or the whole thing folds up, but I won’t subject myself to commercials. My time is better spent with my family or outdoors.

Since I live on the left coast, I can go paddle boarding in the morning, get home, have lunch, and then ffw thru the Gator football game and end up in real time midway thru the 4th quarter. Much more efficient :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I feel like they should pay me to read their drivel.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    I follow Jason Higdon on twitter for up to date Gator stuff.

7. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    I have done that some. It takes discipline to be able to delay watching live. Overcoming the immediate gratification. Mostly I sync up Mick and streaming and pay no attention to commercials.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    The worst new one to me is at the freaking gas stations where they start blaring that crap as soon as you start filling up.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

What is "reader mode"?

10. The_Graygator

Apr 11, 2007
    Regardless, Dooley picked UF to win 24 - 10 FYI. He isn't showing much faith in our offense it seems. We should score 24 in the first half imo.

• Like Like x 1
  11. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    On the iPhone, Some/many stories just to the left of the site address has 4 horizontal lines that if you tap makes it’s just the text of the article and usually easier to read, especially if the site is optimized for mobile viewing. Guess it’s actually called “reader view”. Don’t know if android has it

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Legend

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    It opens up like a kindle reader. eventually they will find this loop hole and stop it from working, but take advantage while you can. Oh, I think you have to have the gatorsports app.

13. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Though I haven't read a physical newspaper since who knows when, I take no joy in their struggle and failure. There's a market for quality content and when that quality is unique, money can be made. The problem with this particular decision, though, is Gatorsports has been low in quality and uniqueness for some time. They did a similar pay site experiment a few years ago, then eventually switched back. I have to assume they switched back because the numbers didn't work in their favor. I think however little the numbers worked then, they work even less now. Their content is meager, surface level, and often just lazy. Why in the world would you pay for it when better, faster, and more engaging content is available for free?

14. GatorTodd

GatorTodd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Disappointing. I like reading their stuff not now I won’t because I’m not going to register. I sure they will lose a significant amount of traffic. Be sure to let their advertisers know.

15. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Big miscalculation I think.
    With so many other gator news sources, they aren’t a must worth paying for very many.
    Think they will find this quickly.

16. gator_lyn

gator_lyn Junior

Oct 28, 2017
    Sometimes if you use Incognito on a Chrome browser, or any of the Private Window version you bypass the limit of free articles

17. The_Graygator

Apr 11, 2007
    I checked my Gatorsports app on my Android and had no problem reading the sports on it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Forgive my aloofness. Originally, I thought TOS meant "the other site." Then I thought this was about the Orlando Sentinel. Most, however, seem to be discussing the Sun. What exactly is this thread about?

19. Gator_druid

Gator_druid All American

Oct 20, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I don’t pay for it. Oh, and I don’t read it either.

20. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 All American

Apr 8, 2007
    Stop thinking this is some local decision. The Sun is owned by a conglomerate called Gatehouse Media which is about to take over Gannett (USA Today). It’s about profit, not Journalism.

• Agree Agree x 1