Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

TOS: According to Mullen the QB position

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by SavageGator, Feb 28, 2019.

1. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    He actually played better when he was no longer having to look over his shoulder though. Things started clicking for him after the Mizzou game, after Trask got hurt and was no longer nipping at his heels. We all knew we wanted to redshirt ej. He was there for emergency use only and not a true threat to take his job yet.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    That is true now that you pointed that out to me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Not sure that had anything to do with it, but it is true. It looked more like he was just pissed off and playing with aggression. But who knows, maybe he was being overly conservative because he was afraid to make a mistake. Maybe a combination of both...

4. Gatorchip

Gatorchip All American

Feb 3, 2010
    I've seen enough to form my opinion. What's yours?

5. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Franks, once he got "pissed off", also found his fire.

He completed more passes, including threading the defensive needle, on more than one occasion.... Plus, he became a running machine.

Spring competition will keep pressure on him, and I think that he's got more to prove, and show us, in this upcoming season. (can you say quick slant?)

6. gatordee

gatordee GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2007
    orlando
    I believe Frank's will be our starter with EJ getting about %20 of the reps through out the games depending on 3rd and shorts, red zone or inside the 5 yard line type of plays available. This will really make it tough for teams to prep for us. We will have a ton of looks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sandmangator

sandmangator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    I don’t think it’s going to take “extraordinarily special” to beat Franks. To be clear, I am not a Franks hater. I just don’t think a person that lost his starting job 8 games into the season (to someone with zero experience) and suddenly plays well 4 games in a row has the starting position locked down.

This is an open battle. A real one IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. WhattaGator

PLEASE......
    Tell me which QB has the game experience to jump into the Miami game?

Mullen isn't going to throw EJ to the wolves in that opening game and beat their confidence into the ground. He doesn't have enough high-pressure game experience, and you're not going to learn that in the spring, or even fall practices.

As I said before... it's going to take something extraordinary, or an injury to Franks, to NOT have him start....

It simply doesn't work that way.

10. SmootyGator

SmootyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Dabo Swiney

11. WhattaGator

From the SDS article posted here recently.....

Florida: Can the Gators find a role for Emory Jones?
    That role will not be QB1. That belongs to Feleipe Franks. The Gators are in an interesting situation with Jones. He’s an athlete, but there’s really nothing they can design for him that Kadarius Toney can’t do. Toney was a QB, too. Maybe Jones is a better option on trick plays designed for passing, but by how much?

Jones’ situation is further complicated by the fact that Dan Mullen added another 4-star QB in Jalon Jones, the No. 10 dual-threat in the 2019 class.

It will be interesting to watch how Mullen handles the quarterback room

12. G8rmann

G8rmann Premium Member

Feb 20, 2014
    The job is Franks to lose and he absolutely earned that down the stretch of last season. Hard to see how anybody would think differently. Still, I cannot escape the thought that as late as the Missouri game, he was wildly inaccuarate and played a rotten game. Hope that is all in the past but have a nagging concern that there could be some more hiccups on the way and that the door for Jones to wrestle the job away from Franks has not completely closed. It seems doubtful that will happen heading into the Miami game but I can envision a short leash for Franks and the opportunity to start early in the season if Franks' performance slips and Jones earns the coaches confidence. I tend to believe that the window for Trask has probably closed but let's see what happens in spring and fall camps. I am very excited to see some excellent quarterback play next year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    Trask didn't have game experience when he beat out Franks for the job after the Mizz game.

I am not saying you're wrong. I just have a difference of opinion. I don't think Franks is good enough to have the job in the bag at this point.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. MoscowGtr

MoscowGtr Senior

Aug 17, 2011
    Fully agree. I think it unlikely that Franks loses the starting role this year (and very unlikely that he loses it in the preseason). But Franks was really just solid over the last three and a half games and was terrible at times last season. He is athletic and has an incredible arm, but his vision and decision-making are still poor. Much of his improvement was down to CDM learning how to beat accommodate Franks’s strengths and weaknesses and better protection from the OL.

Of course, he DID improve in all respects from 2017 to 2018–and could improve more—but is he really likely to improve as much as a true freshman moving into his second full year with the program?

15. WhattaGator

That happened after Franks showed a pretty good meltdown.....

HOWEVER... sadly, in the so short times that Trask did hit the dield, he failed rather miserably, and there was nobody else prepared to step in.

Hence, my previous post that isn't MY opinion, but a quote from a Saturday Down South article, which is also posted here.

As I continue to say, we do not have anyone really experienced enough to face Miami in the season opener.
    Mullen isn't going to want to take a chance a demoralizing our future QB's by simply throwing them to the wolves.... It's a foolish coaching move to begin with.

Again..... someone would have to absolutely shine for that to even to be a consideration... and that doesn't seem to be either likely, or an intelligent coaching move...

If the competition is really that fierce... let 'em open it up on TN-Martin, and take it from there, but NOT iin a crucial opening game against Miami.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. biggynugs

biggynugs All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, fl
    Wow

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. biggynugs

biggynugs All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, fl
    Do you mean his Yannys?

18. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    Franks is good enough to beat Miami. Would be nice if we can get enough of a lead to give EJ some reps

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Franks doesn't have to improve that much to get to a pretty elite level. We are talking maybe 2-3 throws a game. Those couple of plays per game a portion of the fan base love to drone on about and make it sound like the kid completely $hit the bed. When in actuality the kid did a really nice job of taking care of the football all year. And that is the number one component in winning QB play.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Kid doesn't get anywhere near enough credit for this aspect in his improvement.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1