Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Top Billin': Be Aware of the Gators in 2020

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by LLCoolJ94, Jan 22, 2020.

1. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

• Like Like x 9
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 4
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Murf always delivers the goods.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. elijah_blue7

elijah_blue7 All American

Aug 20, 2018
    Regarding the o line....well it shouldn't get any worse

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. elijah_blue7

Aug 20, 2018
    Burney should be used like the Clemson player #11 that won the Butkus award imo

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. unofficialgator

unofficialgator Freshman

Sep 1, 2014
    This is a false narrative. Our o line actually matched our team identity and strength which was a passs first team. They gave Trask sufficient time to make reads and complete passes. They were one dimensional which really hurt the design of our coaching staffs overall offense scheme but Mullen did wat the best coaches do: he played to our players strength. Elite WR? Online that can block? A back that can catch outta the backfield and pass protect? Unlike guys like addazio and muschamp Mullen didn’t try to force the identity of an offense unto a team. Do I hope they improve in run blocking? Of course but to act like they were ineffective is just an insult to them

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    This is factually inaccurate. Unless you believe that Jordan Scarlett accounted for the 1,000 or so fewer yards that should have been plus yards in 2019. The identity was formed after we realized run blocking was less of an option in 2019. Losing several 4-year starters will make one realize how hard pulls and other things can be, especially when Delance kept tripping before contact.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    "turnstile" Delance……

That's what Murf says..

Dude is spot on and great at breaking down film. Has some great nicknames for the players also..

Kyle "checkmate" Pitts....

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I sure hope the players don't let all this off season love go to their heads....

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Austin34471

Austin34471 All American

Oct 2, 2007
    Stonefeet Forsythe..... lmao

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. ofmgator

ofmgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Give the Oline some credit please...we won 11 games and two major bowls. Mullen is the first coach in NCAA history to accomplish this in his first two years but all you guys do is moan.The line did its job well and our only losses were to two top five teams. In fact we scored more on LSU than Clemson.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  12. elijah_blue7

Aug 20, 2018
    A false narrative? Lol. If you say so

13. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well they had to pass block first because they couldn’t apparently run block so well. Hopefully that part improves

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. beemerthegator

beemerthegator Senior

Dec 1, 2019
    The O-line wasn't terrible. I would just say they get an "incomplete" grade for 2019. Those guys were good pass blockers, as reflected in our best passing game in years and our 11-2 record. They never developed with the run blocking and eventually Mullen moved on -- smartly I think you reach a point where you just go do what you do best.

I'm excited about 2020. We are going to be good. And SEC shouldn't be as strong at the top as it was this year. I would be surprised to see us finish as the National Champion, but we are going to be knocking on the door for the playoffs. Unlike in McElwain's first two years, when we had no chance in the SEC Championship Game, I think we can not only get there this year but have a realistic shot of beating whoever comes out of the West. We are going to be in thick of things.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Was off one game to the good this year. We are ahead of schedule

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    OK. Two vastly different O-lines. I don't credit 2019's line for 2018's rushing success any more than I credit 2018's line for 2019's passing success.

It's not Mullen moaning, and it's not disparagement of what 2019's line did well. Rushing wasn't an option in 2019 because of youth. Youth gets experience, and I am encouraged by what we saw in the bowl.

Stating reality does not equate to not giving credit. No team is perfect. Mullen's philosophy includes running the ball well. 2019 was the lowest rushing output ever for a Mullen-coached team. Lowest by nearly 200 yards. It speaks to Mullen's prowess as a coach, Trask's ability and acumen, and possibly (inconceivably, but to a much-lesser degree) McElwain's previous pass-friendly recruiting.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. elijah_blue7

Aug 20, 2018
    This. I didn't discredit anyone. I simply stated that the o line shouldn't get any worse..well it shouldn't should it

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's okay to critique the O-line. They had their fair share of growing pains. And I do think our O-line will be far better next year than this past year, which is great news. Even though I too think we had a good pass protecting (which is what we did mostly) group. We only lost one starter, and adding a ton of new talent with one more year of experience will be huge for our offense next season.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  19. wargunfan

wargunfan GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2010
    Inside your head.
    Here's the progression for Mullen: Year one 10-3 and a New Years Six Bowl win, Year two 11-2 and a New Years Six Bowl win, Year three 12-1 and an SEC Championship and into the playoffs. Gentlemen and Ladies we are on schedule.

20. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    Pretty sure EVERYONE here has been incredibly impressed at the pass blocking. Firstly because it was very good but secondly because the run blocking was just so bad. It isn't disparaging the line or not giving them their credit to recognize our run blocking was historically bad.

I'd venture to say if our run blocking was on par with any of our teams in the last 30 years we probably beat Georgia. All we needed this year was a serviceable run game for short yardage situations and we didnt have that. There is no way we continue the success we have going forward with run blocking like we saw last year.

• Agree Agree x 3