Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Top 10 Coaches Under 40 BA Story

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorjjh, Dec 16, 2018.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Top 10 Coaches Under 40
    By Teddy Cahill on December 6, 2018

In an attempt to identify the top college coaching prospects, Baseball America periodically compiles a list of the top head coaches under 40 and surveys head coaches to compile a list of the top assistant coaches with bright futures as head coaches.

After presenting our list of the top 10 assistant coaches last year, this year it is time to revisit the top up-and-coming head coaches. The first list, compiled in 2001, included future stars such as UCLA’s John Savage (then restarting the UC Irvine program), the late Keith LeClair (East Carolina) and Louisiana-Lafayette’s Tony Robichaux. The most recent list, compiled in 2012, was topped by Oklahoma State’s Josh Holliday, who has since taken the Cowboys back to the College World Series, and also included UC Santa Barbara’s Andrew Checketts, Clemson’s Monte Lee (College of Charleston) and Duke’s Chris Pollard.

While there are still a few coaches at Power Five conference schools on this list, it is uncommon for coaches at schools in those conferences to be hired when they are still in their 30s. During the last five coaching carousels, Power Five schools have gone through 27 coaching changes (not including Oregon State, which has not named a permanent coach since Pat Casey’s retirement). The average age of the new head coaches when they were hired is 43.

Top 10 College Baseball Coaches Under 40

2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Ha! I still have the image of Lovelady firing doubled barreled birds at yours truly immediately after Jim Burt hit the walk off single in the regionals....

I guess I got under his skin as he coached 1b for the canes. Ha! Loveable gatorbogey :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I’ll be more than happy to keep Sully over anyone else out there—it’s not even a question—

I realize that his status is not in question by any means, I’m just clarifying for me at least there is no one out there that measures up to our coach IMHO—

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I wonder what MLB's take is on Sully. On one hand he prepares pitchers really well but on the other hand he plucks talent that might have gone straight from HS to the pros a lot cheaper.

Added in edit: MLB scouts do show up in droves to watch our top pitchers and I get to talk to a lot of them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk—

For what it’s worth—as far as MLB/Milb managers go—from Alan, the Milb managers are there primarily for one thing—develop players (their W/L is important but also secondary) MLB wants them developed for the top level AND THEN winning becomes primary—

Sully’s Wheel-house is both his ability to recruit AND develop his players while winning—MLB “recruits” with it’s checkbook—

It would be an interesting conversation to have with regional and cross-checker level of scouts that you are regularly exposed to at the Mac with regards to your point—

6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My guess is that they find him to be a pain in the upper right side of the butt: the pocketbook.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    LMAO—

You’re killing me Smalls......

8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I wasn't as bad as Smalls when I played, but I get your drift.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    chatted with a few at some of the Fall practices, they were not working too hard :) more of a check in on than a serious look, that is paraphrasing but it is the gist

• Informative Informative x 1