Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Too Hot Investment Thread

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by channingcrowderhungry, Feb 11, 2021.

1. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Hope the mods are okay with this but a few people seemed interested. I mentioned it in the Gamestop thread but I know quite a few people on here do active investing. Thought it would be cool to perhaps keep one running. A lot of smart UF grads here.

My current portfolio looks like this

Hecla Mining- gold and silver mining

Ford- self explanatory, gone up nearly 50% in the last year

Amcor - renewable packaging

Roth CH - Spar
    ROTH CH acquisition - spar

CCIV - spar hopefully merging with lucid motors. Suggested by people on Too Hot

Novan - medical company I just bought into a few days ago. Mentioned in the other thread they have a phase 3 trial wrapping up that may pay off bigly. Been up big the last few days

Carnival Cruise lines- bought it way down from Covid, hoping to pay off in the long run. Looked at all the cruise lines, this was my favorite.

Quantum Scape- mentioned in the electric cars thread

Doge Coin - cheap crypto that is 100% a huge gamble that will probably not be worth shit ever. But it has a large market cap now and could pay off down the road.

JMIA- currently don't own any but have been in and out of it for a year. "Africa's Amazon"

Wisdom Tree Investments- cheap dividend stock

Edit: these are the indivudal stocks I "play" with. I also have a good bit managed by a professional

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Me: cash under mattress

I’m old and my compound is secure;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I took a bite on Bitcoin (with a little cash) so far so good.

• Like Like x 5
  4. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Generally invest in index funds and low fee mutual funds. I don't do individual stocks. About 60% of investments are stock funds, of which a little less than half is international. The remaining 40% is a hodgepodge of bonds, TIPS, Ibonds, EEBONDS, REITS, gold ETF and silver ETF and cash.

As to the stock funds I am overweighted vs market in small cap value and emerging markets.

Most of our investments are in 401ks, IRAS and Roth IRAS.

• Like Like x 3
  5. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    90% RE
    8% funds
    2% stocks for fun (last buy was APHA a couple weeks ago, see today why I’m at 2%.. don’t know how people trade large amounts of their wealth)

Go with what you know.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Income producing RE?

7. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Is there another kind? Yes. Multi-family mostly. I’m an evil developer you hear about on here. Small time though, so I may still get to heaven.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm a buy and hold investor. Works for me. As an example bought this plain vanilla stock in 1991. Bought 50 shares at 26 for an initial investment of around $1300 in 1991. Invested an additional $6000 in small increments between 1992 and 2001. Seem to have done OK.
    upload_2021-2-11_19-48-8.png

• Like Like x 3
  9. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    I've gotten to that stage in life where I am balancing out my portfolio favoring income producers and backing off on the more speculative high risk high reward stocks. Trying to preserve assets and realize income is my goal. I have been buying AT&T that pays 7.3% dividends and today bought TOT - Total - a large French liquified gas and renewable energy company that is also paying over a 7% dividend.
    Have several sector funds with Black Rock Tech having done really well this past year. Have 2 other BR funds small cap blend. Also have a couple of broader stock funds (Investment Company of America the largest holding). I have something like 12 shares of Amazon :Dthat pays nothing (me and Bezos are partners and he's holding out on me). Have had Apple for a few years and bought more during the early pandemic when the bottom fell out. It recovered and split 3 for 1. It doesn't pay much of a dividend though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Other than my 401k (which is split 25/25/25/25 between 4 mutual funds) and Roth 401k I am in Bitcoin. I plan to invest in some long term stocks eventually (basically in blue chip stuff).

I got in on Bitcoin when it was selling for $20.8k. it has been an awesome 3 months. I'm very bullshit on it long-term.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. gotime51

gotime51 GC Hall of Fame

Small investor here. I currently hold:

Southwest
    United airlines
    Tesla (wooo!) Somewhat early investor
    Apple

I am waiting on cciv because I want to make sure they have a dance partner. If lucid does not merge, that stock is sunk. If they do than you are in luck.

• Like Like x 2
  12. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Was looking good until I got to your cartoon coins

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Through my work I’m 100% in an index fund. It’s been performing well and a “set it and forget it” kind of investment. With my spare money I’ve been having fun “gambling” in the crypto sphere. It’s a bull market right now so it’s almost impossible to not make paper gains at the moment. We’ll see when a correction happens.

14. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Real Estate (Rental properties) at the moment and 401k.
    But want to get more educated about this stuff and love the thread idea.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. gotime51

gotime51 GC Hall of Fame

I think my next investment will be an dividend aristocrat fund. I want to build up long term gains

• Like Like x 1
  16. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ahh dang it I can't see your picture. But I have a guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Picture doesn’t show.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. vaxcardinal

Apr 8, 2007
    I tend to want to be more aggressive with my portfolio but end up playing a little safer than needed. Since I’m a government employee, I get a pension so in theory, I should be heavily invested in equities. My retirement funds are probably 80% in equities. My non-retirement funds are in a mixture of mutual funds and individual stocks. The individual stocks are kind of my “play money”. I’m in the popular FAANG stocks as well as companies like J&J, novovax, CCIV, Southwest,DOCU. Thinking of FROG. Always looking for other investment opportunities. Thought of real estate but would need to sell investments to do that.

19. vaxcardinal

Apr 8, 2007
    And great idea of a thread. Hope it stays on point

20. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    My first foray into solo investing for real was an unmitigated disaster. I had like 11k and wound up with 3k.
    I decided I had better learn what I am doing. I also made the decision at that time that mutual funds (and later balanced with ETFs) were my path. So I max out my Roth, my 401k, have a set amount that gets put away each week, and whatever I have left at the end of the month gets thrown into an uncovered account. I don’t hold any individual stocks right now.
    I am around 80/20 stocks to bonds, but have been slowly creeping that up on the bond side, as the bull market runs its course. I am overweight in small caps, moderately favoring growth over value, and like most here I’m sure have had a really good 10 months.
    I have a decent amount in my house, but beginning to divest into something other than stocks is my next goal. Especially since I’m now a few years ahead of schedule and can afford to make a mistake or two as I do.

• Like Like x 1