Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Toney needs the ball!

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by diehardgator15, May 30, 2020.

1. diehardgator15

diehardgator15 GC Legend

Oct 6, 2019

• Like Like x 4
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  2. gatormets3

gatormets3 Premium Member

Nov 24, 2018
    Jax., FL.
    I'll say agree. But, with more discipline
    Don't I've it to him just to make him happy.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    He should get the rock AT LEAST TEN times PER GAME.

Someone let our Offensive Coordinator know.....
    :ninja:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. FusionGator

FusionGator Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    When I saw him in that first spring game. I thought he should get touches. He hasn't gotten near as many as I would personally like. It makes me wonder what coach sees that he doesn't want to give him more opportunities.

5. GatorKWM

GatorKWM VIP Member

Feb 1, 2010
    He's got to be where he's expected to be. That's his limiting factor on receptions.

• Agree Agree x 7
  6. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    Closest physical ability to Percy Harvin since Percy left in my opinion... ...but still needs to learn to use it correctly. Running 30 yards on average every play doesn't help a whole lot if most of it is sideways and reversing field. When Toney will make one cut and try to get upfield, he is a game breaker.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Perhaps it was the injury last year , but I thought he was making progress as a receiver in 2018. With the loss of so many receivers, I hope they can utilize him more in the passing game and not just running jet sweeps.

Kadarius Toney Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Here we go with the yearly "Toney needs more touches" thread....yep...we all agree...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    It's been hinted at thati agree that he is a dynamic playmaker....but he has to be more disciplined and play within the system.
    And he isnt PH. PH would take one step, accelerate through the hole and be gone...no one touching him. KT is quick, but he isnt close to that kind of acceleration and speed.
    I do think be a better route runner would serve KT well. Catching the ball in space and having to make only a safety or CB miss him....that's better than trying to joke through the dline, linebackers and safeties.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Not sure if Toney’s running style and body type will withstand 10 touches for 12-13 games. He should have a firm grasp of CDM’s full playbook which should get him more snaps when healthy. I agree that he’s lightening in a bottle and has caused more than one DC to leave a nicotine stain in his underwear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    That run against fsu convinced me that when Toney gets the ball, even he doesn't know where he's going to go. Lol

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Needs to stay healthy first. Needs to run disciplined routes. Toney has been good on screens and reverses, but has had difficulty getting open deep and has had trouble catching passes with his hands. Dropped an end zone pass last year. Still a work in progress that needs to step up his route running this year.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. gatorcloud

gatorcloud VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'd like to see Toney more on special teams. Punt block and also as a gunner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. MoscowGtr

MoscowGtr All American

Aug 17, 2011
    This.

As for the comparisons with Percy: Percy was faster (of course, Percy was faster than everyone, but I think Toney’s 40 time will surprise those who think he is a blazer once he gets to the combine) and knew how to run north and south. Toney is sometimes more exciting than he is productive.

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Couldn’t have said it better…if he runs North and South and not sideways I’d say 5-7 touches a game. Not our number 1 option. I’d say options go this way:

1. Pitts-Match up nightmare all day long. 5 catches a game average (still 60 catches) but understand good team will bracket him with a safety. Doubling him should make my next guy have a huge year.
    2. Grimes- see above but not all the double teams. 6’5 214 monster that can fly. 45-50 catches unless injured.
    3. Cope-Can do everything Toney can do but is bigger, stronger, faster, and as athletic if not more. Difference is that Cope is becoming a solid route runner. Cope can run a jet and look out that’s 195-200 coming downhill.
    4. Tie Pierce-Toney
    5. Lingard

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Yeah, Toney has improved but he's still working on his game. As mentioned, sometimes last year I think he thought he was back in HS and could go backwards and then run out of trouble. Not happening. Linemen and linebackers will run your ass down in freaking college!!

But all of our guys are great and constantly improving. Pretty good stable of kids, no doubt. Copeland could be scary good.

On another note on this eve of destruction.
    Pray for a vaccine. Pray for our leaders to work together and lead. Pray for peace. Pray for non-violent solutions. Pray for tolerance and unity.

Pray for football :)

Go Gators.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. dkgator

dkgator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Toney needs more pass attempts!

18. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I remember facepalming early on in the play while in the stands. Then I hear the crowd erupt - opening my eyes to Toney making an incredible positive gain.

19. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Giving him the ball makes me happy. :D:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  20. 183gator

183gator Sophomore

Nov 17, 2010
    Me too, been saying it for two years he needs a Tyreek Hill package - make us all happy

• Like Like x 1