Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Toney leaving?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Zepgator, Dec 4, 2019 at 8:36 AM.

1. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    Dooley reporting that Toney tweeted this was the last time in the Swamp and supposedly took a victory lap. Anybody have any additional info on this? I’m not on Twitter.
    I sure hope he doesn’t for selfish reasons. He is so electric. I don’t think we used him enough - at least we should have used him with Emory in the option more. Sorry if this is a duplicate...

2. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    If Toney was healthy for an entire season he’d have far more touches and eye-popping stat’s. He has become a receiver the staff can count on and another year with Coach G would do wonders for his NFL value.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    His tweet says last time and it's a video of him hugging Perine and has another one with him Perine and Jefferson saying something similar. It looks to me like he's saying goodbye to the seniors and has a really tight bond with Perine since they're both from Mobile. Not saying he won't leave but I don't think either of those mean much. Plus dooley doesn't know squat

• Agree x 8
    • Like x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 4
    • Winner x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  4. thom1507

thom1507 Freshman

Oct 13, 2019
    Kind of hard to use a player more if he’s hurt.

He could end up being a great NFL wr, but he’s nowhere near as polished as Jefferson or some of the other wr’s in the draft class.

Do you recall him ever going over the middle or catching a curl in a zone? Oddly enough, I don’t.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  5. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Last time with the current group of seniors? Last time this year? Last time wearing #1? Could be gone. Could stay.

Good example of how meaningless Dooley's reporting is.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Legend

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples
    Part of rumor I heard elsewhere was that his academic interest is pretty low too. He’s behind in classes, etc.

Would be great to see him back, but can’t blame him for leaving if he can get paid. He’s got freakish talent and can make a good paycheck just as a kick returner in the NFL. If he breaks out as a go to WR could make a ton of $$$

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    ... and how meaningless twitter is.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    So, then should we expect to see him in the bowl game?

9. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    I understand not using him when he is hurt. I was referring to when he wasn’t. Our running game has been so bad and more Toney would have helped.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. nickdelatorre

nickdelatorre Beat Reporter VIP Member GC Staff

Sep 13, 2012
    Gainesville
    I spoke with a recruit that told me Billy Gonzales told him the Gators had 4 senior receivers and 2 juniors leaving early (Toney and Grimes).

I’m still digging into this but I have been told and confirmed that both are going to send in paperwork to see what they’re told about their draft stock

• Informative Informative x 14
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm not sure I've seen a player turn small gains into big gains with the consistency that Toney does. It's like four out of ever five times he touches the ball, it's "How did he do that?"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Problem is he seems to run routes the same way he runs jet sweeps - all over the place. Kind of hard to hit him in stride when you don’t know where he will be.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    That's interesting about what the recruit said.

Is there a reason for them to not send paperwork in?

14. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    When I saw the tweet I read it as the last time playing with Perine (a graduating senior and fellow Mobile native). But rumor mill is swirling that he has let his grades slip expecting to go pro.

I think he's one of a few juniors who just want to be done with school, and if they could be reasonably certain of getting drafted in any round will leave. FWIW I think he needs a lot more development. He's got the moves to dance around poorly coached teams or teams with no talent, but he's shown very little against good competition.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. mcogator

mcogator Senior

Nov 22, 2016
    Torrance, CA
    I think Toney will be a better pro than college player, if he stays healthy. Imagine those cuts he takes on turf, with full traction. He's too fragile to stay another year in college.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 All American

Sep 2, 2018
    that would not bode well AT ALL for the Gators and especially Trask. We'll have Copeland and Pitts as our most experienced WR's....and one is a tight end lol.

Guess Rick Wells will be our #2 and maybe the Pouncey kid from Texas? Geesh that would cripple us instantly if Grimes and Toney leave.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  17. quentinc25

quentinc25 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    WR class is really deep this year, one would think they would come back and actually start for an entire season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    He dances way too much, but he has really good potential. I think another year would be good for him but I can't fault someone for starting their earnings. I do think it could end up being a bad decision depending on when he gets picked and what opportunity he has.

If he goes I wish him good luck.

I think Jefferson, Grimes, Cleveland and Copeland were underutilized/underperformed. I think our WRs this year are probably Top 5/10 in the country.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  19. upstategator

upstategator All American

Nov 1, 2017
    Man I love watching Toney play and no offense but I disagree with you. The jitterbug stuff just doesn't work in the pros, Toney is a freak compared to other college athletes but he is very raw when it comes to the things the pros look for, that being said I'm not sure another year at college fixes that so he is probably better off making the money if its there to make. Also I do not believe we will miss him that much, hopefully Copeland can take that role next year.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Imo, so bad on the jrs parts. Yes, Grimes has the physical tools but he hasnt showcased enough of it. I know he could use the money to help out his mom. Toneys just flat out making a horrible decision. His durability is highly questionable and hes not really a true WR even though he offers other exceptional abilities and may be drafted late if at all.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2