Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Toney - Hill

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 183gator, Jan 12, 2019.

1. 183gator

183gator Junior

Nov 17, 2010
    Would love to see CDM incorporate Toney into offense the way Andy Reid is using
    Tyreek Hill in KC, 10-15 touches every way imaginable. Go Gators

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You'll likely see more Toney in '19, but he doesn't have that decisive speed advantage over the opposing 11 that Hill does or Harvin did.

Toney has great shake and bake and runs like a man possessed, but that doesn't give you what instant top speed does.

• Agree Agree x 10
  3. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Legend

Oct 8, 2018
    Lexington, KY
    Speed kills. Plain and simple.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I think that may be up to Toney

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe not, but what Toney lacks in top-end speed he more than makes up for with his crazy quick shiftiness.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. gator125

gator125 Junior

May 28, 2007
    I think Toney gets to top speed very very quickly. He has great burst. He may not be as fast as Hill but he gets there fast.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Gatorhead5

Gatorhead5 All American

Apr 10, 2007
    When CDM talks about 'reliability' it has nothing to do with physical skills...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Gatorhead5

Gatorhead5 All American

Apr 10, 2007
    100% correct

9. 183gator

183gator Junior

Nov 17, 2010
    Cannot think of 5 players past or current that had Harvin/Hill speed - Toney is as elusive a player as we have had in a very long time, use him.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. 183gator

183gator Junior

Nov 17, 2010
    Get what you are saying, but part of what I see in Toney is absolutely the chip on the shoulder attitude he plays with, he plays as hard as anyone on the field.
    I'll take guys like him and Vosean Joseph all day everyday and twice on Sunday.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Use him intelligently, since he doesn't have elite/dominant athleticism. Can't one trick pony him as we could with Percy, or it becomes a situation where a better D will just scheme (relatively easily) to neutralize him.

If Toney becomes more complete as a receiver, it will open up more for him in getting him the ball in other ways. Hopefully that develops over spring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Rainey was the closest player to Harvin, but not as big and strong, and was not as decisive with the ball in his hand.

Toney is the closest player to Rainey, but not as fast either. Still, not bad company to be compared to when talking about skill position players in UF history

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. gatorPUNX

Apr 8, 2007
    At this point I vaguely remember Malik Davis being special when he touches the ball too, but he's been off the field for what feels like forever

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Toney imo is a lot harder to get your hands on than Rainey. Speed is one thing but I’d say there are many more successful players without elite speed than guys like Rainey and Demps that get by primarily on speed.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Demps was close too.

16. Gatorhead5

Gatorhead5 All American

Apr 10, 2007
    Toney is much harder to bring down and always falls forward. Rainey could be knocked over by a stiff wind and always went sideways/backwards.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. gatorPUNX

Apr 8, 2007
    It's really unfair to current how even 13 years after Percy stepped foot on campus, anyone with that little spark is compared to him - because there is only one Percy. Honestly, the one play to me that summed up Percy was a simple counter play in the 06 SECCG vs Arkansas. He took the ball, turned direction and was gone.

These are my observations of those players with the ball in their hands

Rainey's positive comparison - just as fast (from what I've read), almost as shifty. His takeaways were that he was smaller, not as strong, and as another poster mentioned he went east-west "danced" too much

Demp's positive comparison - faster (world class speed), decisive runner, deceptively strong for a smaller back. His takeaways were that he was not as shifty - he could hit a home run at any time but it would require clear space for him to run past everyone and no one had a chance

Toney still has a few years of sample sizing to complete. He is not as fast as any of the aforementioned players. He is not a decisive runner (though I feel a bit more decisive than Rainey was). He does have a similar first step and acceleration like Percy did, but not the top end speed. The end around vs Michigan was an example during the run where I thought "Go go go!" and it was clear he was running his hardest but didn't have the last gear like the other players did.

Again, not bad company to be part of. Also a case for how glaringly deficient in talent the offensive skill positions players were for a period of time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Malik is slippery in that he is very difficult to tackle. He positions his body in close quarters where it is hard to get a clean shot on him.

Toney has the best moves on the team and is the best in traffic.

Neither is as fast as Percy/ Rainey and both are the type players that get injured.Percy also got injured alot.

Consequently you spread the ball out to all our talented WRs. When the ball is spread out to all the WRs they have less chances of getting injured and when one does get injured it is less devastating to your offense.

Our larger WRS are better blockers which helps the team in the running game. Plus they are better at jump ball and deep passes.

Bottomline is UF will spread the wealth among our talented WR group next season. Gives opponents more to worry about.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    What if Emory was our quarterback instead of Feleipe? I wonder if that would improve how we play Toney? Would he get the ball quicker and in more space?

How many times has Toney been open and Feleipe didn't see and/or get the ball to him?

I also feel we should be using Toney's arm more to throw passes. He was a QB in high school and has done well when we've asked him to throw.

Anyway you slice it - we need to use him more and in better schemes than we did last season - that's for sure...

• Like Like x 1
  20. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Legend

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Toney is elusive as hell but hill would walk away from him top end. That kids got a different gear

• Agree Agree x 1